(Whatever works) Equipment you love but evreyone else hates.

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
joel hamilton
zen recordist

Re: (Whatever works) Equipment you love but evreyone else ha

Post by joel hamilton » Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:22 am

rhythm ranch wrote:
covert wrote:Nice on snare too. Anywhere a 57 works, these seem to work.
Only better. :^:

I believe the "C" model comes with a Tuchel (or maybe DIN) connector, but it's the same body/capsule:
I used a pair of these I hhave for toms a bunch back in the day when I originally started to hate the 421 on toms. They are pretty cool mics. The grill is awesome (as stated above) as well. They can take a stick hit better than a 57 for sure...

They are pretty great for bottom snare as well, but can get "clacky" in that position...

I have never been into them for guitars at all. They seem to be too weird to sit right. Drums like them though. I have two still, and they go for stupid cheap these days.

The EV RE-11 is another mic like this. You can find them for really cheap and they are pretty awesome for certain things. I used mine as a front kick mic for years, and even for a weird honkin room mic in odd places, like under the floor tom, or next to the kick as a shell mic, or behind the piano (for drums) or whatever. Kind of a funky dynamic that sounds the same (weird) no matter where you put it in the room. Pretty cool. Sounds cool for "vintage" vocals as well.

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:30 am

NT1!!!! not the 'a' but this mic has gotten me some really great results under the right circumstances. i know most people hate them... maybe i lucked out and got one that sounds ok, but mine kinda rules.

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

DryCounty
buyin' a studio

Post by DryCounty » Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:39 am

I have an Ibanez "soundtank" compressor pedal that I love on bass. It's wild and colorful, but great at evening everything out.
"I would imagine that the inside of a bottle of cleaning fluid is fucking clean." -Hedberg
-----
Tulsa Drone
Dry County Records ? Richmond, Virginia
twitter: drycounty

pwrb
gettin' sounds

Post by pwrb » Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:08 pm

EV 635 mic. I've been digging it for "realistic, but not particularly sheeny" vocals. Seriously. Great on percussion too. Rounds off the top end in a very pleasant way.

Bear
deaf.

Post by Bear » Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:18 pm

I don't hate my nt1 either. Sounds nice on classical guitar, I like it as an overhead (in conjunction with something else), and it works for my girly ass voice. I also don't hate my Art TPS. I guess I'm supposed to, but it works fine for me. I may not "love" these things, but they work. Boob legion.
I am wangtacular.

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Mon Jan 24, 2005 3:48 am

Boob legion indeed.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

sad iron
tinnitus

Post by sad iron » Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:56 am

pwrb wrote:EV 635 mic. I've been digging it for "realistic, but not particularly sheeny" vocals. Seriously. Great on percussion too. Rounds off the top end in a very pleasant way.
I love this mic. On amps, on ac gtrs, on some vox, on bass drum...
New music: www.sadironmusic.com

Studio site: www.sadironstudio.com

Novel website: www.sadironpress.com

MichaelAlan
tinnitus

Post by MichaelAlan » Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:36 am

Today I used the C1000 on guitar and got an AWESOME tone! I couldn't believe it. I put it way off axis of the cone, and had it near the edge to get rid of the harshness but it was cool. Also, the band insisted on the vocalists being in the same room and singing together. I used the C1000 on one of them. It sucked bad. But it still gets a better ranking cause of the job it did with guitars.

Mike
All energy flows according to the whims of the great magnet...

marqueemoon
carpal tunnel

Post by marqueemoon » Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:32 am

I use my Mackie 1202 VLZ for way more than I "should". It's a very versatile and useful piece of gear. Yes, the pres sound like ass if you crank them, and yes the eq definitely sounds like ass at extreme settings, but in the bang/buck and features/size departments these things rule.
I the prostitute, shall not hide...
But I was very much bothered with my work!

earl parameter
buyin' gear

Post by earl parameter » Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:16 am

for some reason a c1000 on my old singers voice sounded fucking amazing. nothing else would do.

NewAndImprov
re-cappin' neve

Post by NewAndImprov » Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:18 am

crashsick wrote:for some reason a c1000 on my old singers voice sounded fucking amazing. nothing else would do.
A vocalist I used to work with read that the singer frm Shudder to Think used the C1000, so he got one, being a huge STT fan. And it was the perfect mic for his vocals. I'd sold a pair previously, because I got them for OH's and hated them.

Other crappy gear I like:

AKG C3000B: I find myself using it more often than the AT 4033

ART Dual MP: Great utility pre, as long as you don't drive it hard. Best snare sound I ever got was through the ART

And on the Electrix MoFX, I gave mine to the DJ in my band, and he rocks the thing! I'm constantly amazed at what he can do with it.

Jackson Michaels
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Jackson Michaels » Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:37 pm

DryCounty wrote:I have an Ibanez "soundtank" compressor pedal that I love on bass. It's wild and colorful, but great at evening everything out.
I use one on bass too and I LOVE it!

I also got a free lil' Eurodesk from my brother's church when they upgraded their system and I'm starting to like it just for the convenience of having a lighterweight board when I feel the need to record in the garage instead of the bedroom.

Zeppelin4Life
re-cappin' neve

Post by Zeppelin4Life » Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:10 pm

the shure PG58 (basically the cheapest mic shure makes) works well live.

and I also like 8-track tapes :D :D :shock: I lost like 30 of them tho, they're in the basement somewhere
?I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.?
David L
KC2UUM
RadioReference.com Admin, Albany NY

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:07 pm

I like to hang a C1000S pointing at the floor a few feet away on axis of the neck/headstock and a few inches above an acoustic guitar. Bang! instant Nashville-tuning sound.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

SKEETER
steve albini likes it

Post by SKEETER » Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:32 pm

Price tag has little to do with quality anymore, it has more to do with status appeal, advertising, and laurels. Some of the best stuff out there is also the cheapest. \

Slider, I have OLD Alesis micro stuff, I have a 1/3 rack comp I bought in the late 80s, the thing is a gem. I record bass into it and directly to tape. I have a micro gate that still comes in handy, and a micorverb that does a nice job.

kayagum: I have an old Aurel Exciter, and I like it a great deal, I mix everything through it to give the instuments and vocals more defined space in the mix, it is very subtle and substantial at the same time.

joelpatterson:
I use an SR-16 when I am not using real drums, it is hard to tell the difference if you take the time to program drummer idiocyncracies into it. I had an HR-16 before it. I use mine with an old syc box called an ANATEK POCKET SYNC, striped time code with it and it had song pointer. That way i could do a basic drum track to record the other instruemtns, then go back later and reprogram the drums to accentuate the rest of the music.

I have a LOT of Behringer stuff, and it is much better than a lot of gear I have used that costs much more. I have not found anything by them yet that was not well built, I have had my Behringer guitar amp open and it has the typical LM3886 chip that most everything else has, the board is well mounted, and the chasis looks pretty sturdy. The other Behringer stuff I have is anywhere from as good as to FAR better than a lot of other gear I have had that I shelled out much more for. I suspect a lot of guys are down on Behringer because they assume that it's price means it is made poorly. I have not had any of my Behringer gear fail me either in the studio or onstage. I liked my Behringer bass head so much I got rid of my Hartke HA4000, I like the Berhringer better. It was originally to be a backup, but the thing is so dependable the Hartke became the backup unitl I sold it.