Studer consoles. Where to get one? Which model?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Coco
re-cappin' neve

Studer consoles. Where to get one? Which model?

Post by Coco » Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:57 pm

Been looking for a console. Those old Studers look pretty cool. Need about a 16 ch board. Inserts would be nice. Got a lot of outboard gear ( a lot for me anyway). Will be wanting to use it with a Digi 002. I can't drop $8000. I have seen some used around $4000 and I assume it would need a recap and some tweaking. Will be looking to purchase one in the summer. I am just doing some homework on them right now. Thanks to all who reply.

p.s.

I don't know shit about boards, or anything else for that matter.
I know enough to know that I don't know what I am doing.

Generals and Majors http://www.myspace.com/generalsandmajors

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Re: Studer consoles. Where to get one? Which model?

Post by joel hamilton » Fri Jan 21, 2005 4:05 pm

The studer would be a great choice in a small console, and some of them even have a little pull out ashtray right under the master fader!!! Awesome!

I should have one built in to my tape machine ;)

The 169 is a really cool little mixer, especially if you get one with the comp/limiter modules.

Look around on the interweb, and enjoy. The pre's are great (a little noisy, but awesome) and the eq is really cool as well. Discrete goodness from a good company.

aurelialuz
dead but not forgotten

Post by aurelialuz » Fri Jan 21, 2005 4:14 pm

Joel Hamilton wrote:The studer would be a great choice in a small console, and some of them even have a little pull out ashtray right under the master fader!!! Awesome!
seriously?! those germans think of everything.
"While every effort has been made to ensure optimum sound quality, priority has been given to historic content and importance."

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Fri Jan 21, 2005 4:21 pm

aurelialuz wrote:
Joel Hamilton wrote:The studer would be a great choice in a small console, and some of them even have a little pull out ashtray right under the master fader!!! Awesome!
seriously?! those germans think of everything.
For real. I laughed so hard when I first saw that. Amazing. I was like, "No stein holder??? where should I put my oktoberfest dunkel und hell brews?"

pscottm
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by pscottm » Fri Jan 21, 2005 4:26 pm

i'm a fan of these consoles too..

keep an eye on the classifieds at www.recordingconsoles.net ..i've seen several pass through there over the last year. a nice 169 went last month for 1500 euro from a respected seller.

also german ebay (www.ebay.de)

vintage king has sold quite a few, they have a larger format 963 model in stock right now.
www.vintageking.com

remember, the 169 and others were designed as a 'portable' location mixers so shipping shouldn't be as big an issue as with most other discrete consoles. be patient and you'll score a nice one for sure.

prince turbo lung
pushin' record

Post by prince turbo lung » Fri Jan 21, 2005 4:41 pm

i have a 169..it rules. Mine is fully recapped and the pres/line amps are ultra quiet. limiters are cool. does not have direct outs on the channels which is kind of a letdown, and it only has one aux send. i found mine at a place that deals with location stuff...ie TV. i paid about $2500 for mine and it is worth every penny.
its on like donkey kong!!!!