Removing a Tube Amp from my old wurlitzer?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
tylerbcrawford
gettin' sounds

Removing a Tube Amp from my old wurlitzer?

Post by tylerbcrawford » Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:33 pm

Does anyone know anything about removing the amp from inside my wurlitzer so I can use it for guitar or bass?

The only inputs on it are 2 RCA jacks and they are labeled treble and bass? Think I could just plug an instrument cable into one of those?

I haven't tried anything because I am scared of getting a huge shock. I should mention that the amplifier/speakers are working fine, but there is a problem with the rest of the organ.

Thanks.
Lo-fi Super Fun Pop - the port city allstars

oobedoob
alignin' 24-trk

Re: Removing a Tube Amp from my old wurlitzer?

Post by oobedoob » Sat Jan 22, 2005 1:59 pm

In my little experience with this, I think your amp might be a HOT Chassis amp. When you plug in your guitar cable to test it, be prepared for loud, terrible noises, and for heavens sake, don't be grounded when you do it.

Maybe some kind of iso. xformer would be the simplest way in..... Do you have a schematic?

(Tried to plug into the RCA of a Wurlitzer "Leslie" once and got a big scare....)
"Revolution is not a dinner party." -Sun Yat-Sen

Uncle Dub
ass engineer

Re: Removing a Tube Amp from my old wurlitzer?

Post by Uncle Dub » Sat Jan 22, 2005 3:40 pm

Find a friend with an o'scope and do some measurements, before plugging something you value into it. Or if you have one use your own o'scope.

Also check out Hammond Schematics here http://www.captain-foldback.com/Hammond ... matics.htm for more info.

Damn you said Wurlitzer, my bad, err use Google, find your schematic if you can, messing with tube amps can be hazardous to your health. One hand only in the unit at all times, and maybe something (a book) like Tom Mitchells Servicing Your Own Tube Amp would help. If you really want to make this a guitar amp, take a look at like the Marshall pre and power amp circuit diagrams on the Dr Tube website and others, I say Marshall because they actually break up the circuits into simple pre and power stages which means if your doing a conversion they give you good ideas for building blocks.

Good luck.