Behringer drops to unseen lows!

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
subversive
audio school

Re: Behringer drops to unseen lows!

Post by subversive » Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:22 am

No offense
but I think some of you guys need to come off your high horse.I for one am glad low end products like Behinger exist. If not for them and others I would not even have a chance to play music. Not everyone can afford a Gibson Les Paul so there's Epiphone. If I had my choice sure I'd be working with U87 this... Avalon That... but for now it has to be a M-Box
and a Studio Projects B1. Is there anything wrong with that.(you gatekeepers of what is cool for studio gear)

I'm thinking of gettin' a preamp. Should I go for one of those low end Focusrite joints or should I just get the Manley Mic EQ 500 so i can show my face around the "elite"
studio set :lol:
As It Is... So Be It
Sex Style And Subversion

DryCounty
buyin' a studio

Post by DryCounty » Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:23 am

misterock wrote:Nacho, you are correct. Is Sears any better? Last time I looked, they were trying to extort me for some "Account Protection". My undies have holes, no joke.

I have some $$$, but I'm not giving it to WM, Sears, McD, BB. Fuck them. I'd rather steal!
Wow, this is a brilliant philosophy! Let's head out!

...Consumers have choices, and you can yell all you want (to the choir, it seems) about how brainwashed everyone is but the truth is that people can vote with their dollars, and if they can save a ton of money instead of buying local, they'll do it. It frustrates me to all hell, but they'll do it. Did anyone on here know that Levi's are no longer manufactured AT ALL in the USA?

What is somebody's Chinese trash today is going to be somebody's treasure tomorrow. That Danelectro amp above is stunning, I'm sure, as is the occasional Chinese condenser and CRAP -- that ART PRO VLA I got a few months back is also made in China, and you know what? It sounds GREAT.

Behringer ultimately cannot market these pedals toward professionals, but they can market them toward kids and amateurs. If I was a kid, I'd be eating them up.

BTW, Circuit City is a Richmond, VA (USA) based corporation. They're always on the skids it seems, but they decided long ago to grow at an extremely rapid pace. They likely wouldn't be around if they hadn't decided to try it. They started back in the 50's, I'm pretty sure.
"I would imagine that the inside of a bottle of cleaning fluid is fucking clean." -Hedberg
-----
Tulsa Drone
Dry County Records ? Richmond, Virginia
twitter: drycounty

pantone247
takin' a dinner break

Post by pantone247 » Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:39 am

subversive wrote:No offense
but I think some of you guys need to come off your high horse.I for one am glad low end products like Behinger exist. If not for them and others I would not even have a chance to play music. Not everyone can afford a Gibson Les Paul so there's Epiphone. If I had my choice sure I'd be working with U87 this... Avalon That... but for now it has to be a M-Box
and a Studio Projects B1. Is there anything wrong with that.(you gatekeepers of what is cool for studio gear)

I agree with all of this, top point my man. I have a seven month old daughter, there is no way in hell I can justify ousting any serious ammount of ?$?$?$ on gear. Once in a blue moon I can get a nice piece of budget gear and that slowly, but surely advances my sounds and my learning curve and I'm happy.

When yr plugging a shit chinese plastic dynamic straight in you computers 'sound in', anything *even* a Berhinger preamp!!! (gasp!) is going to make the world of difference.
INDIE TILL I DIE

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:02 am

I remember when I bought my pair of Oktava MK-012's on the cheap for $99 (for the pair!).

Some friends of mine that at are employed at studio's said I shouldn't waste my money. Same thing with the MXL 990 I bought, and I loved it.

Now, everybody and their mother has a fucking pair of Oktava's in their studio.

People used to absolutely Bash Arion pedals and now a lot of people are singing their praise; especially the SAD-3.

To me, Behringer is no different than any other company. They have some products that are aweful and they have some products that rock. Just look at Focusrite, they have their high-end stuff that's expensive and most studio's have at least 2 Focusrite Red's in their mixing rack but their lower priced products have been proclaimed as "crap".

Behringer is not alone in the audio world in making cheap crap as well as offering product lines that are very useful.

It's been said here already but I'll reiterate: Behringer makes it possible for a whole lot of people to record and/or play their music for other's. Their products, then, are automatically important to the audio industry.

cfMC
pushin' record

Post by cfMC » Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:35 am

if these behringer pedals list at $25 I will be tryin em out. I've been using the same BOSS since 1987 but every time I bother to look at new ones the $200+ prices of those and their boutique competitors leave me laughin noy buyin. I've been using a behringer mackie-knockoff mixer for several years and it has been A-OK no problem. I got a pair of Oktava mics too and those are also great. hmm now that I think about it my drumkit is a chinese import that was 5 pieces for $199 at GC. I'm havin fun and not goin broke. sometimes cheap is bad--presonus cheapie preamps and compressors I've tried dead in flames within months of purchase--but for some budgets (like mine) that's simply part of the risk. there's a lot of basic template designs for musical instruments and equipment, I think its hard to successfully stake a claim that something like "a mixer" or a "a pedal" is yours all yours

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:59 am

cfMC wrote:if these behringer pedals list at $25 I will be tryin em out. I've been using the same BOSS since 1987 but every time I bother to look at new ones the $200+ prices of those and their boutique competitors leave me laughin noy buyin.
Assuming the Behringer pedals last a year under average occasional gigging conditions...

$25 * (2004-1987) = $425.

Suddenly that Boss that's lasted 17 years (and still working) doesn't seem that expensive.

sloanfiske
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by sloanfiske » Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:14 am

too bad they don't just copy all the way huge/lovetone circuits...

for 25 bucks...even close would be cool
my parents drove it up from the bahamas

really

not really...the bahamas are islands

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:19 am

i think anyone here 'sticking up' for behringer should take a look at the alternatives... lots of people here are quality snobs, but then notice the same people freak out about the arion SAD3 and stuff like that... a 30 dollar analog delay that rules... that's what cheap shit should be like, awesome sounding and NOT COPYING something better and doing it shittily. behringer just fucking sucks, and shameless copies are something to be ashamed of when there are other affordable alternatives, DIY stompboxes, etc.
at least danelectro made shitty pedals that were unique and looked different, not a lame attempt to copy established designs, right down to the fonts.

cheers,
john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

spankenstein
re-cappin' neve

Post by spankenstein » Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:30 am

I'm under the impression that there is a single board and the knobs and firmware are all that change depending on the specific model. It makes sense given the other modeling stuff they did (ripping off the Pod). In that regard... what's the difference between the "Blues Distortion" in the blue box and the "Tweed Amp" on the Pod?

DryCounty
buyin' a studio

Post by DryCounty » Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:36 am

I have stuff from Arion (two SAD-3s, thank's board!), Rogue, two Tubulators, an old Harmony amp, casios, you name it -- cheap gear and toys are the stuff I love, alongside my more "serious" instruments. This Behringer stuff is no different to me than a toy piano, but I love writing stuff on toy pianos! I wouldn't use this in any kind of live scenario, but I don't see how anyone into creative recording can't be A LITTLE intrigued by these boxes. Your attempt at making anyone interested feel "guilty" at the mere thought of buying Behringer is only making your argument tired and old. And also -- how do you KNOW what they sound like???

Get off the high horse, indeed.
"I would imagine that the inside of a bottle of cleaning fluid is fucking clean." -Hedberg
-----
Tulsa Drone

DryCounty
buyin' a studio

Post by DryCounty » Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:39 am

spankenstein wrote:I'm under the impression that there is a single board and the knobs and firmware are all that change depending on the specific model. It makes sense given the other modeling stuff they did (ripping off the Pod). In that regard... what's the difference between the "Blues Distortion" in the blue box and the "Tweed Amp" on the Pod?
I bet there is a single card with a soldered on ROM or something that changes model to model. I bet the knobs aren't even soldered onto the board, but that the wires to the pots somehow do. Just guessing.
-----
Tulsa Drone

Aeroplane Audio
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Aeroplane Audio » Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:53 am

dubold wrote:
and I'm not sure the sound is gawdawful. I'll reserve judgement till I hear one of these things. They can't be any worse than the danelectro stuff.
FOr the record...I have a pastrami pedal that is KILLER on ukulele distortion.
"There are two kinds of mistakes: The regular kind, and the kind that don't sound too good"
-Thelonious Monk
--------------------------------------------------------
www.myspace.com/tuttutkc
www.myspace.com/ironpawrecords

pantone247
takin' a dinner break

Post by pantone247 » Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:57 am

DryCounty wrote: I bet there is a single card with a soldered on ROM or something that changes model to model. I bet the knobs aren't even soldered onto the board, but that the wires to the pots somehow do. Just guessing.
I bet it's just a small rodent in the box, a vole or shrew or something and when you hit the box with your foot, it's been trained to make a noise impersonating, for example, a Boss Metalzone or a Smallstone or somesuch....

animal cruelty and unoriginality.... Berhinger, you've a lot to answer for...
INDIE TILL I DIE

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:59 am

Green Typwriters I-V wrote:
dubold wrote:
and I'm not sure the sound is gawdawful. I'll reserve judgement till I hear one of these things. They can't be any worse than the danelectro stuff.
FOr the record...I have a pastrami pedal that is KILLER on ukulele distortion.
Just sold a pastrami, cuz it sucked. Must be because I don't have a ukelele.

theistheman
pushin' record

Post by theistheman » Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:28 pm

dude...behringer rocks.

Like, now I can buy a $900 mackie mixer for only $300!

It would sound like complete shit, but so does a real mackie.