Expanding my mic palette

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
tylernolan
pluggin' in mics

Expanding my mic palette

Post by tylernolan » Sun Jan 23, 2005 2:09 pm

I have two 57's and two Octava 012's. I am in the market for another mic.(preferably just as affordable) If you could recommend one other mike to give me more range what would it be? I would like to have something for micing bass amps that would be good for other applications as well.

atdunlap
alignin' 24-trk

Re: Expanding my mic palette

Post by atdunlap » Sun Jan 23, 2005 2:25 pm

Get yourself a Large Diaphragm Condenser. The main reason I say this is that in that price range - you won't find too many good Large Diaphragm Dynamics and no ribbons fall in that price range. They are also really flexible, sound pretty good on bass (they're usually full range).... Might even be better for like kick drum than anything you have. Another option would be like a beta52... Probably be good for bass, kick, and anything you didn't want to be overly bright.....

Andrew
When in doubt, try it anyway... it just might work.

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Sun Jan 23, 2005 2:26 pm

You didn't mention price range; I'm assuming you're not looking for top-shelf mics. A good, all-around, inexpensive choice might be the AT4033. It can sound great on bass.

stewie
audio school graduate

Post by stewie » Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:11 pm

rode ntk

Mix413
buyin' gear

Post by Mix413 » Sun Jan 23, 2005 8:38 pm

Shure SM7
Estudio Ensenada
Rincon, Puerto Rico
https://www.facebook.com/estudio.ensenada.PR/

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Sun Jan 23, 2005 8:42 pm

i'm gonna say SM7 or 4033. both are awesome mics regardless of the money and will always have a place in your mic locker, just like the other mics you already have.

cheers,
john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

surf's up
pushin' record

Post by surf's up » Sun Jan 23, 2005 8:49 pm

A large-diaphragm condenser would be a good addition to your collection. You could use it on vocals, guitar, percussion, and pretty much anything else. MXL makes some decent mics that are very affordable. The Shure KSM27 isnt bad, though it might be a little more than youre looking to spend.

As far as getting a mic that would be especially good on bass that also has a wide number of other applications, it probably wont happen. Though getting a good low-frequency dynamic mic is a big part of improving yourt palette, so something like the D112 or the Beta 52.

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Sun Jan 23, 2005 8:56 pm

uh.... sm7? and i'd throw a 4033 in front of a bass amp any day.

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

standup
re-cappin' neve

Post by standup » Sun Jan 23, 2005 8:58 pm

tylernolan wrote:I have two 57's and two Octava 012's. I am in the market for another mic.(preferably just as affordable) If you could recommend one other mike to give me more range what would it be? I would like to have something for micing bass amps that would be good for other applications as well.
If you want versatile and a dynamic (you didn't say that--not sure which cheap large diaphragm condensors are best on bass) look at the EV PL20, same as RE20. Doesn't suck, great on a lot of vocals and great on basses and kick. Sennheiser 421 too, though I think the PL20 is more versatile.

Somebody recommended a Shure 52 for low stuff, but if you want versatile, I wouldn't use that or a D112. I play standup bass, and when I was listening to dynamic mics for it, I ended up with an Audix D4. The other two had no response above "thud". D4 has some good meaty midrange response and goes nice and low.

These days the standup bass gets an omni Oktava or a Sounelux u195 pretty often. But the D4 is a good, versatile microphone.

bigtoe
deaf.

Post by bigtoe » Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:58 am

i'd get a d112.

i just did some submixes where the mics used were 57's, d112 and an 012. mackie - adat. sounds pretty great when they do. there may have been a 609 thingy on one of the amps but it could have been a 57...

the d112 really helps get consistant kick and bass sounds...find em used for 99-125. ATM25 is great too but not as consistant.

SM7 is more expensive and i think would require eq more often...same with the pl20/re20...but you know...depends...

if you had 2 57's, an SM7, a d112, an ATM25 and 2 012's...you'd be set on mics for a loooooooooooooooog while. all of those are perfect for what they do. i could do a tracking session with just those and be perfectly happy...

have a good one...

Mike

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Mon Jan 24, 2005 6:24 am

I'd get a LDC then a D112 after that, just for more flexability really. D112s are great for what they do (bass things) but that's pretty limited on most recordings, and the LDC will do some bass things for you. Personally i went for a C4000 over the 4033, but i know there are a lot of pretty happy 4033 users on this board.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:09 am

Ya know.... what you really don't have is an obnoxiously bright LDC. Which might be a nice contrast to the typically dark Oktavas (don't get me wrong, I love mine). Something like a CAD M179 would add some interesting possibilities... a bit on the bright side, it's got a big diaphragm which apparently does something, and multiple patterns. Plus people here and there like them on kick, because they've got decent LF response.

red cross
buyin' gear

Post by red cross » Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:17 am

LDC for bass? AT 4047 / 4033. Great mics!

standup
re-cappin' neve

Post by standup » Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:28 am

Rigsby wrote: D112s are great for what they do (bass things)
That's why I like the PL20/RE20 better, and the Audix D4. You can point them at pretty much anything.