Preamp is being mean to me

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Zeppelin4Life
re-cappin' neve

Preamp is being mean to me

Post by Zeppelin4Life » Sun Jan 23, 2005 2:23 pm

I was recording some blues guitar tracks for a scrapbook of idea when suddenly I noticed my 2108 (I was using one track on guitar, on track as a room mic) sounded weird. I did some quick tests and came to the conclusion that one of the pres (the B channel if that matters) has a very small output and fuzzy audio. theres no bass either. I plugged the mic (sm57) into both channels, same cables, same setting on both channels and channel B definetly is not pumping out a lot of audio. the connection is there, because I can hear it there. but I have t crank my board so loud im getting hiss. and hiss on a pre like the 2108 w/ Mogami gold shouldnt be happening..this is very frustrating...thanx in advance

Dave
?I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.?
David L
KC2UUM
RadioReference.com Admin, Albany NY

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Re: Preamp is being mean to me

Post by rhythm ranch » Sun Jan 23, 2005 3:48 pm

Zeppelin4Life wrote:...but I have t crank my board so loud im getting hiss. and hiss on a pre like the 2108 w/ Mogami gold shouldnt be happening..this is very frustrating...thanx in advance

Dave
Did you also try switching channels on your board?

Family Hoof
buyin' a studio

Post by Family Hoof » Sun Jan 23, 2005 4:07 pm

What Rhythm Ranch said. Otherwise, a dead tube maybe? I find it quite alarming that this would happen on a new piece of UA gear (you just bought this thing a couple months ago, right Zep?). Maybe they're having QC issues. That would be sad. Also, why are you running a 2108 into a board and not directly to tape/disk? (assuming you have a budget board) That is like using permanent marker on a finished oil painting!

nick_a
buyin' gear

Post by nick_a » Sun Jan 23, 2005 5:01 pm

the 2108 is a solid-state unit, so i doubt it would be tubes. Stupid question, but did you try turning it off, then back on? Any problems i have with the 2108 usually solve themselves that way. Otherwise, call Universal Audio tomorrow, and tell them what happened. They might be able to help you troubleshoot.

Family Hoof
buyin' a studio

Post by Family Hoof » Sun Jan 23, 2005 5:27 pm

nick_a wrote:the 2108 is a solid-state unit, so i doubt it would be tubes.
Whoops! I was thinking of the 2-610 this whole time. I could've sworn Zep4Life had been talking about buying one of those so I thought that's what he was talking about. I guess he bought the 2108. That makes sense. The rest of my reponse still applies, however!

Zeppelin4Life
re-cappin' neve

Post by Zeppelin4Life » Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:30 pm

I tried switching channels on my DAW yea. i literally tried everything. I emailed UA and ill call them tomorrow if I dont hear from them. It's brand new, I got it xmas

Dave
?I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.?
David L
KC2UUM
RadioReference.com Admin, Albany NY

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:19 pm

I had a similar problem with a Dan Alexander pre that turned out to have a loose ground wire. I sent it back to him and it was an easy fix. But to be honest, it could be anything. I can't think of having spoken to anyone who's had to deal with UA's customer support recently, so I'd be interested in hearing how it goes for you.

-marc

Piotr
tinnitus

Post by Piotr » Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:54 pm

Kick its ass out of bed...
Yours,

Piotr

piotr@thebarkmarket.com

----------------------
Id quod visum plocet

Thomas Aquinas

i am monster face
buyin' gear

Post by i am monster face » Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:14 pm

Zeppelin4Life wrote: It's brand new, I got it xmas

Dave
I got an insulated sweater for Christmas then promptly shrunk it to about two sizes too small in the dryer. Looks like we both had conclusive bad christmases.

Ian