what should my first microphone purchase be?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
otter
audio school graduate

what should my first microphone purchase be?

Post by otter » Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:16 am

i know this is very subjective but i don't even know where to begin. looking for a condenser under $1000 that would be good for vocals, acoustic guitar, percusssion, etc...
just a good "all purpose" kind of condenser. (i've already got the standard sm57/58's so this seems like the next logical step)
any ideas on where i should begin?

junkstar
re-cappin' neve

Re: what should my first microphone purchase be?

Post by junkstar » Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:18 am

AKG 414. Was my 'second' mic after my 57's and 58's and I found I could do just about anything with it. An absolute treat.

Catoogie
buyin' a studio

Post by Catoogie » Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:19 am

Shure SM7, Sennheiser 421, AT 4033 those are some good places to start

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:25 am

An Oktava MK-012 with a LOMO M1 head. Very swank. Very incredible.

LittleDogAudio
pluggin' in mics

Post by LittleDogAudio » Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:28 am

Audio-Technica 4060. Awesome mic for the $$$
Chris
Little Dog Audio
Oh Joy, Oh Joy-More Gear!!!

kronosonic
takin' a dinner break

Post by kronosonic » Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:32 am

Give a serious look at Gefell mics:

http://mercenaryaudio.com/migem930bdis.html

Do a little research into the history of Gefell and you'll be surprised if you don't already know about them.

http://www.gefell-mics.com/nav_page.htm

And, yeah, a 414 is always a safe bet.

You do have an SM57, no? Isn't that everybody's first mic? :wink:
http://myspace.com/infiniteegosavioronasis

A personal friend of the legendary Jean Pecan Hoe

Slider
george martin

Post by Slider » Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:53 am

K2? 414? 4047? 4050?
There's so many good ones now it's crazy.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:56 am

The 4033 will leave you with some extra money (if you're looking to spend a grand), allowing you to consider a pair of sdc's or another flavor of ldc.

And wouldn't you know it...I'm gonna be selling a 4033 later in the week (shameless capitalism, I know).

NeglectedFred
pushin' record

Post by NeglectedFred » Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:15 am

Slider wrote:K2? 414? 4047? 4050?
There's so many good ones now it's crazy.
I own the K2, and I love it, but I'm planning on picking up a 414 next. I've recorded great accoustic guitars, even guitar cabs and been very pleased with my K2, but I can't, for the life of me, get some decent male vocals out of it. It seems to accent the higher freqs more than I like. Plan on getting a good de-esser if you want to do a lot of vocals with it. Maybe another preamp would help?? I've been using my Focusrites.

It's been very natural as a room mic for drums, but I like my Octava MC012's a little better for overheads.. They have nice thick lows and bright shiney highs that make for sweet sounding toms and cymbals.

If I'd had a chance to compare it side by side I'd probably have gone with a 414 first. K2 has a lot of character on the high end, and seems to have a fast reaction to certain things, something I can't quite put in words. It's a great quality to have, in many cases, but I'd like something a bit more natural, now.

I'de probably prefer it on most female vocals, as a second guitar cab mic, some accoustic guitars, and as a room mic for just about any application, but not my favorite for male vocals.. Only had it for about 3 months, maybe my opinion will change later for better or worse.

If you get this mic, and decide to use it on guitar cabs, I've found close mic'ing right in front of the speaker cone with the capsule turned at 90 degrees (like a 'T') in omni has very nice results.. Although it didn't work so well on a buddy's fender cab. I haven't been cranking the volume on the gi'tars with this thing though.. Haven't been that brave, yet. According to Rode, it'll take anything you throw at it.

Hope this helps you in your adventures of finding the perfect mic.. Post back and let us know what you get and how you like it.

Don't get me wrong, this mic doesn't suck on vocals, but it's not my favorite. Right now, as I posted about a weeks ago, I have a cheap MXL mic I prefer over this thing on vocals. The V57M.. Mine sounds great, and for $65 it cant be beat - but mine was picked over about a dozen that were tested by a friend of mine.. Apperently there are some inconsitencies among them.. Look for the ones that are wired with Mogami (there's a little sticker).
Last edited by NeglectedFred on Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chris Graff
audio school

Post by Chris Graff » Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:17 am

414, 4033, 4047. All sound different, one advantage to the 4047 is that is sounds great on guitar amps (tight low end).

Red Rockets Glare
tinnitus

Post by Red Rockets Glare » Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:18 am

I'll second the 4033 and point you toward some tracks that it was used as the only overhead on drums and as the only vocal mic if you like.

Frost
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Frost » Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:29 am

I would get a shure ksm32 or 44, you can probably get one used and still leave you money for a beyer m88 and a pair of oktava mics. Get a good well rounded cabinet then buy some big dog mics.

Frost

NeglectedFred
pushin' record

Post by NeglectedFred » Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:29 am

Red Rockets Glare wrote:I'll second the 4033 and point you toward some tracks that it was used as the only overhead on drums and as the only vocal mic if you like.
Call me crazy, I'll third the 4033 as an overhead.. But another mic that is not my favorite for male vox. Not sure if this is what Getty Lee uses, but everytime I use one I think I sound like Getty Lee.. Good, if that's what you're looking for, I guess... I've use this sucker next to a 414, and was much happier with the 414 on vocals. I was told I sounded more like James Hetfield on the 414. Not really the sound I'm looking for either, but that's probably closer to my actual voice. I'de probably use the 4033 on accoustics or overheads, first though.. Just my opinion.

MichaelAlan
tinnitus

Post by MichaelAlan » Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:35 am

I am suprised no one has mentioned the BLUE baby Bottle. I hear it's awsome, but have not HEARD it's awesome. I got the KSM 44 and it's really nice on vocals.

Mike
All energy flows according to the whims of the great magnet...

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:36 am

Oktava 319 or the MC012. Plus you'll have money left over to get more stuff.