good cheap new kick drum mic under $100.

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Everybody's X
re-cappin' neve

Re: good cheap new kick drum mic under $100.

Post by Everybody's X » Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:54 am

cmez wrote:I recently did a second session for somebody-and on the first session, I'd used a Superlux 218 that I got for $30.

This time, there's some new mics in our studio, so I threw up a Shure Beta 52, thinking it's a much superior mic.

After screwing around with it for about half an hour, the singer from the band noticed that it was a different mic than last time and said," Hey, where's that good mic?"

Go figure. I think the 218 basically sounds like a '57 without the little high mid peak-thing that '57's do, and with perhaps a touch lower frequency reach.

Anyway, pretty easy to get a decent kick sound out of it.

Chris
heh, I'm recording these metal kids right now and when they came over I had my mxl990's set in the living room on booms in their shock mounts. The drummer says "ooh, yeah, see he's got the kick ass mics and shit!"
I say,"Hell yes I do!"
I thought that was pretty funny.

Regarding using a PZm, it is quite capable of being a fine kick mic, I actually eq'd mine quite a bit because it sounded too much like a drum and not like a drum going through a d112 or whatever. The PZM was too honest.
It certainly worked though, especially with a speaker on the outside for that "woofy" undertone
Dave Johnson
allcapsproductions.com