Is there a glass in Aerosmith's 'Sweet Emotion'

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Zeppelin4Life
re-cappin' neve

Is there a glass in Aerosmith's 'Sweet Emotion'

Post by Zeppelin4Life » Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:49 pm

Listen to the last verse. I was sure it was a triangle but I noticed he says the line 'take you backstage you can drink from my glass and it defintly sounds like a wine glass now...thats kindof cool.anyone know?
?I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.?
David L
KC2UUM
RadioReference.com Admin, Albany NY

stevemoss
alignin' 24-trk

Re: Is there a glass in Aerosmith's 'Sweet Emotion'

Post by stevemoss » Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:45 pm

If you have access to the 1991 remix (which I greatly prefer over the original), give a listen with the song's channels combined out of phase - bass and almost all of the vocal and much of the guitars disappear, leaving you with percussion only.

Combined out of phase, it becomes much easier to hear, and both the tonality and particular sustain suggest a metal triangle.

stevemoss
alignin' 24-trk

Post by stevemoss » Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:53 pm

I was just doing a little checking elsewhere, and found an article about the creation of a 5.1 surround mix of Walk this Way for the recent Super Audio CD of Toys in the Attic.

In it, the original engineer quotes Steven Tyler checking on elements of the new mix: "Is the triangle loud enough?"

Zeppelin4Life
re-cappin' neve

Post by Zeppelin4Life » Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:58 pm

Awesome! im looking for a new version now. I was listening to the original LP.its a very cool sound, I cant wait to hear it all phased out. How did they put the mix out of phase? Just with the 5.1 stuff? BTW your in sarataga..im right down the road in latham :D
?I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.?
David L
KC2UUM

Electricide
dead but not forgotten

Post by Electricide » Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:26 pm

I think he meant that he had flipped the phase of one side...in his console probably.

Zeppelin4Life
re-cappin' neve

Post by Zeppelin4Life » Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:35 pm

yeah, I just did that in wavelab and brought them togehter..thats incredible. all that percussion is out of phase, so 'getting the mix out of phase' keeps it there..weird
David L
KC2UUM

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:07 am

Zeppelin4Life wrote:yeah, I just did that in wavelab and brought them togehter..thats incredible. all that percussion is out of phase, so 'getting the mix out of phase' keeps it there..weird
When you flip the polarity of one channel of a stereo mix, then sum the two channels to mono, it's not only elements that are "out of phase" that remain, but also anything panned off-center will as well. The more hard-panned, the more the element will remain. In other words, the differemces between the channels don't cancel out.
I'd suspect that percussion isn't out of phase per se, just hard-panned. Haven't heard that particular song in a while.
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:06 am

There is a triangle part, in the latter half of the bar during the verse. It's played "and-a-three, and-a-four" and the triangle is muted for the first two hits and open on the third, muted twice and then open again.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

Zeppelin4Life
re-cappin' neve

Post by Zeppelin4Life » Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:11 am

dwlb wrote:There is a triangle part, in the latter half of the bar during the verse. It's played "and-a-three, and-a-four" and the triangle is muted for the first two hits and open on the third, muted twice and then open again.
yeah, there re some muted 16th in there too
David L
KC2UUM