Pacific Pro Audio R-one Ribbon mic?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Devlars
re-cappin' neve

Re: Pacific Pro Audio R-one Ribbon mic?

Post by Devlars » Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:28 am

trashy wrote:you, sir, are an interesting gentleman. I'd like to subscribe to your weekly newsletter.
Ha ha you can find it on the Rexrode forum. Thanks Trashy, I hated that the first post I read this morning was a bash from a perfect stranger.
"Yes, you're very smart. Now shut up."
-Peter Falk
Speakerphone
Rexrode Records

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:40 am

Hey Devlars,

I think Serendipity was referring to the fact that your link points to the Nickleback thing and not another forum. Maybe that was your intention?
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

Mr. Dipity
carpal tunnel

Post by Mr. Dipity » Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:12 am

Devlars wrote:
trashy wrote:you, sir, are an interesting gentleman. I'd like to subscribe to your weekly newsletter.
Ha ha you can find it on the Rexrode forum. Thanks Trashy, I hated that the first post I read this morning was a bash from a perfect stranger.
Me too, but only if you have a 'letters from the readers' page.

red_robot
audio school graduate

Post by red_robot » Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:33 am

how about these? these have plenty of low-end, are quite compact and portable, and will impress your clients with their sleek design. plus they're way rough, NKOTB-style.

i wonder what kind of price we could get on 50...

this made-in-china site is totally awesome. we should do a group buy on sandwich makers as well.
junior wrote: so, does anyone have any requests for future "gear co-op" group buys??? how about those agile les paul copies that are going for around $250 on ebay... or maybe some cool fx/stompboxes? ;)

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:49 am

I know its all fun and shit, but does it really freakin' matter what logo or brand name is put on the mic? If PPA wants their logo or whatnot, so be it, they're doing the leg work... lets not up the price by making requests that really doesn't effect the way the mic sounds... cause thats we want them right.. the sound and the price ratio??? i see requesting more requests will not only possibly jack up the price, but also the amount time it will take to get the mics and the more work involved..

"well i got the ribbon mic with the tapeop board logo, so mine sounds warmer and punchier than the ones with the nady or PPA logo..."

Next people will be asking for custom colors..

yeah i'm grumpy this morning...

Devlars
re-cappin' neve

Post by Devlars » Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:18 am

T-rex wrote:Hey Devlars,

I think Serendipity was referring to the fact that your link points to the Nickleback thing and not another forum. Maybe that was your intention?

Ahh, I see. Thank you, my mistake. I intended to send a link to the thread that Sserendipity had created, "...if you're in read this". See if that would have been pointed out instead of bashing me then the further confusion would have been avoided quick fast and in a hurry.

sserendipity wrote:
Devlars wrote:
Me too, but only if you have a 'letters from the readers' page.
No hard feelings Sserendipity, I'll change the link...now that I know it was the wrong one I posted. I was rushing when posting that thus the mistake.
-Peter Falk
Speakerphone
Rexrode Records

Mr. Dipity
carpal tunnel

Post by Mr. Dipity » Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:29 am

trodden wrote:I know its all fun and shit, but does it really freakin' matter what logo or brand name is put on the mic? If PPA wants their logo or whatnot, so be it, they're doing the leg work... lets not up the price by making requests that really doesn't effect the way the mic sounds... cause thats we want them right.. the sound and the price ratio??? i see requesting more requests will not only possibly jack up the price, but also the amount time it will take to get the mics and the more work involved..

"well i got the ribbon mic with the tapeop board logo, so mine sounds warmer and punchier than the ones with the nady or PPA logo..."

The tapeop branding thing is just a way for us all to feel a little more community, and have an elite status to explain to people. "It's this special group of recordists and musicians, and there are only 200 of these mics in existence, so you can feel special to talk to me."

Other groups I'm in have done t-shirts, but this is way cooler.

trashy
dead but not forgotten

Post by trashy » Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:41 am

Devlars wrote: Ahh, I see. Thank you, my mistake. I intended to send a link to the thread that Sserendipity had created, "...if you're in read this". See if that would have been pointed out instead of bashing me then the further confusion would have been avoided quick fast and in a hurry.
see, I thought like sserendipity did: that you posted a nonsensical link, and then bashed everybody's incompetence. See, that's funny. So sserendipity's "you bastard" post was not the "you bastard, you slept with my wife" kind but the "you bastard, let me by you a drink" kind.

loosen up.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:45 am

sserendipity wrote:
trodden wrote:I know its all fun and shit, but does it really freakin' matter what logo or brand name is put on the mic? If PPA wants their logo or whatnot, so be it, they're doing the leg work... lets not up the price by making requests that really doesn't effect the way the mic sounds... cause thats we want them right.. the sound and the price ratio??? i see requesting more requests will not only possibly jack up the price, but also the amount time it will take to get the mics and the more work involved..

The tapeop branding thing is just a way for us all to feel a little more community, and have an elite status to explain to people. "It's this special group of recordists and musicians, and there are only 200 of these mics in existence, so you can feel special to talk to me."

Other groups I'm in have done t-shirts, but this is way cooler.
Kinda like my record collecting friends who have multiple copies of a release.. one on blue vinyl, one on red, and one with a manufacturing problem where you can't even listen to it... they like being elite groups of dorks as well.

X-ian
alignin' 24-trk

Post by X-ian » Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:31 pm

If PPA comes through for us the LEAST we can do is provide them is a little advertising space on the front of the mic.

junior
pluggin' in mics

Post by junior » Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:39 pm

red_robot wrote:how about these? these have plenty of low-end, are quite compact and portable, and will impress your clients with their sleek design. plus they're way rough, NKOTB-style.

i wonder what kind of price we could get on 50...

this made-in-china site is totally awesome. we should do a group buy on sandwich makers as well.
hehehehehe... that's funny as shit ;) what -don't- these bastards make???
"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep"...
--Scott Adams

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:09 pm

totally. If PPA comes through, I would be more than happy to advertise for them as a cool company.
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

Devlars
re-cappin' neve

Post by Devlars » Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:21 pm

trashy wrote:
Devlars wrote: Ahh, I see. Thank you, my mistake. I intended to send a link to the thread that Sserendipity had created, "...if you're in read this". See if that would have been pointed out instead of bashing me then the further confusion would have been avoided quick fast and in a hurry.
see, I thought like sserendipity did: that you posted a nonsensical link, and then bashed everybody's incompetence. See, that's funny. So sserendipity's "you bastard" post was not the "you bastard, you slept with my wife" kind but the "you bastard, let me by you a drink" kind.

loosen up.
Well if someone would get on that drink I'd loosen up a lot faster. Make it a Brennans, neat and double...you incompetent bastards!
-Peter Falk
Speakerphone
Rexrode Records

ccjones
studio intern

Post by ccjones » Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:33 pm

Im in for 2
I live in NYC
I'll do what i can to help.

ubertar