Pacific Pro Audio R-one Ribbon mic?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Re: Pacific Pro Audio R-one Ribbon mic?

Post by soundguy » Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:47 pm

pscottm wrote:sorry, but i must comment.

.. i know i'm partially responsible but this friggin chinese ribbon feeding frenzy is rediculous. an exact microcosm of what's driving the USA down the shitter.
high five dude.

dave
http://www.glideonfade.com
one hundred percent discrete transistor recording with style and care.

lifeintime
gettin' sounds

Post by lifeintime » Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:52 pm

LifeInTime wrote:Two for me.

If anyone is interested, here is the real Oktava site:
http://home.tula.net/oktava/index_e.htm

Man, I want one of those Astron-201 telephones.
Forgot to say "click on the In Russian" for pictures and more info that are not on the English side of the site. I used a copy/paste into one of the web based translator sites.
What? No Gravy???

soundcloud.com/LifeInTimeMusic

b3groover
deaf.

Post by b3groover » Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:59 pm

soundguy wrote:
pscottm wrote:sorry, but i must comment.

.. i know i'm partially responsible but this friggin chinese ribbon feeding frenzy is rediculous. an exact microcosm of what's driving the USA down the shitter.
high five dude.

dave
And the alternative is?

thecongostudio
steve albini likes it

Post by thecongostudio » Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:01 pm

Unfortunately for us people who work in pro audio as a job (like myself) or those who dabble in recording as a hobby (which I?m sure we all do,) it is expensive as hell. I think it?s safe to assume that most people here have worked long hours and spent a lot of money to buy equipment that works well and is sonically pleasing. When we buy products, we buy them because they are good and work for what we buy them for.

I respect the American work ethic and the idea of buying all American is the way of securing jobs and making sure that our economic security will be in tact for the future. I am an American, and I work myself to exhaustion on a regular basis with pro audio work, coursework, writing new music, and securing a future for myself. If this was the case, why are almost all domestic made products inferior to other products that can be secured for cheaper and with less hassle than buying something else. Our ideas of buying American have been convoluted by bad quality, just like the concept of buying a Japanese-made car would have been thought of unthinkable twenty years ago.

Don't get me wrong, there are amazing things that are American made and support the ideas of the free market on which our country was founded. But the problem with America is that the overhead of producing such products that are affordable to a mass market is such a financial paradox and kills businesses faster than anything if done incorrectly. So we are forced either to pay high price tags for boutique pieces from businesses who can cater to a select audience, or a big company that can pump out utilitarian pieces of gear for cheap, which is almost all foreign made.

I don't have money to spend on API, Manley, and other insane great pieces of American-made gear everyday and when a good opportunity comes up I go for it. The idea of that buying Chinese made microphones will detriment our economy anymore than buying any other foreign made products is preposterous. I do fear for our economy but our government can do so much to make sure that our futures are being secured. However, there is much more importance being placed in the idea of national security rather than the much more pressing issue of personal financial security of each individual citizen of the United States of America. Once social security runs out in fifty years, if it has not been privatized by then, then you will see the absolute murky deeps of the American financial system struggling to survive.

Don't sweat a microphone, but worry about the idea of that your job could be lost to someone overseas who will get paid a fraction of your paycheck.

Milkmansound
george martin

Post by Milkmansound » Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:34 pm

ok - over a hundered people have posted on this thread now. Someone step up!
(((((((((((((((((((((((((())))))))))))))))))))))))))))
www.pedalsteelamp.com
www.milkmansound.com
Follow me on Facebook!

lonesome_tone
takin' a dinner break

Post by lonesome_tone » Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:37 pm

I actually was wondering who was going to make all those trips to the post office.

I for one would definitely trek to NYC, especially if say, a beer night ever happened.

Hey if this goes off, we should try it with other stuff! How much are Distressors if you buy SEVENTY?

drewbass
buyin' gear

Post by drewbass » Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:49 pm

you don't contact a factory in china.
factories don't do wholesale.
get a broker. thats what they are for.
d

darjama
tinnitus

Post by darjama » Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:16 pm

Actually, I heard back from the factory, and they said they're willing to deal with me directly for 100 pieces, payment in advance and 15-20 days manufacturing lead time. But I haven't gotten a price from them yet.

Anyone know where I could find out about white kind of taxes or tarrifs we might face with these?

dubold
steve albini likes it

Post by dubold » Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:29 pm

just to be a naysayer:

I think it might be worth looking into exactly how much the cost increases if we go through a broker, rather than try the factory proper-- simply because they might have a better idea of what tariffs/import laws are involved. I'd hate for all the mics to be impounded somewhere because i'm not up on all the import/export regulations.

also, i like ubertar's idea about the hubs. there's probably 50 buyers in the NYC area. and then we can all sit around and take them out of the plastic bags together and get packing peanuts everywhere.

-d

cannikin
audio school

Post by cannikin » Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:34 pm

I'm in and I live in NYC.

drewbass
buyin' gear

Post by drewbass » Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:34 pm

the factory delivers and your order sits on skids in a warehouse for years.
get a broker. this is what they do.
i'm surprised the factory said yes. makes sense, the get your money.
really, get a broker. my dad and my brother do this, i've seen them do this for 30 years. the hard part is, 7gs is peanuts. a good broker, which you want, deal with numbers at least 10 times this.

junkstar
re-cappin' neve

Post by junkstar » Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:37 pm

...and a NYC beer night for distribution would work for me too.

Honestly, shipping 50 domestic packages does not scare me. Being responsible for $7k does. Being short on shipping money does too. Finding the proper packing materials would be a challenge... But for what it's worth, I'd be willing to distribute with proper backing.

versuviusx
re-cappin' neve

Post by versuviusx » Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:52 pm

i'm in. email me if we are gonna do this.
this could be awesome.
someone should make a list. of all the people who want to do this.

Everybody's X
re-cappin' neve

Post by Everybody's X » Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:58 pm

I will buy 2 but I aint going to new york to pick it up

that has to be getting close to 100?

we really should form a coop and buy whatever we want at a fat discount
Dave Johnson
allcapsproductions.com

i am monster face
buyin' gear

Post by i am monster face » Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:56 pm

There could be multiple hubs, each placed in central parts throughout. That way, everyone could have their responsibilities split up.

Just an idea.

Ian