Guided By Voices--what's their deal, anyway???

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Re: Guided By Voices--what's their deal, anyway???

Post by I'm Painting Again » Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:09 am

Last time I saw GBV play..they played for 3 hours straight..and were excellent..not too drunk..played really well..I think they were trying to impress the new drummer's parents who lived locally and had come to the show..they gave out free beer to the audience..great show..

GLEA
pushin' record

Post by GLEA » Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:42 am

Mark wrote:
GLEA wrote:Pollard is a great guy and a huge music fan. On the hits box set, there are pictures of his record collection... one of my pal Deniz' records was on the top of one stack!
Not Deniz Tek, ex Radio Birdman? :?

Who currently works as an emergency/trauma doctor in Montana! :D 8)
Yes Deniz Tek Radio Birdman....it's a long story: his day job is an emergency room doctor. He was working in Billings for years, just up the road. I didn't meet him til he played here oncein the mid 90's. We struck up a friendship and ended up working together. A couple of years ago we started a label, Career Records, to put out his non-Birdman stuff, my records, and a few others including Roy Loney, Angie Pepper (Deniz wife) and Penny Ikinger.

The Teks moved back to Australia a year or so ago, but still spend time up here. The good thing is that it's meant Birdman is now a full time band. They just toured the last two weekends and are suppose to finally start recording in April.

I went down and saw the tour two years ago. They spent a day in the studio, their first new studio material in 25 years. Since then they've been writing and rehearsing. I've heard a lot of stuff, and it's really good.

When ever they come over we find something to work on. Last summer Angie cut four songs for her next album. Den and I each contributed a song and Donovan's Brain supplied the backing with Den. Now that's fun. Den is also on four or five songs for the new Donovan's Brain album, due in March.

He's a curious guy. He just loves music, and to him it's a form of relaxation from the day job and a mental excercise. Recording with him is always a gas, cause we sit and think of challenges. He's always up for it. You know, a guitar he's never played, singing a song he's never heard before....

I don't think he'd heard of GbV until I pointed the photo out to him.

RS
the country that rules magnetism, rules the world
http://www.donovans-brain.com

bigtoe
deaf.

Post by bigtoe » Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:45 am

nipsy wrote:
bigtoe wrote:hey-

..... not to sound cliche but they are the only thing that comes close to the beatles for me. ok. i'm cliche...what do you want? i live in ohio and work at a desk...i've got my tie on.

gush,
Mike

you need to listen to some xtc, loosen that tie baby.......
man - could never get into that stuff...too contrived! and the Bee Gee's just aren't my thing. too much sugar...like eating circus peanuts after about 15 seconds...i hate circus peanuts!

peace,
Mike

nipsy
pushin' record

Post by nipsy » Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:55 am

quote]

man - could never get into that stuff...too contrived! and the Bee Gee's just aren't my thing. too much sugar...like eating circus peanuts after about 15 seconds...i hate circus peanuts!

peace,
Mike[/quote]

give skylarking another listen........

the brill bedroom
pushin' record

Post by the brill bedroom » Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:57 am

It's rather astounding to contemplate GBV's actually coming out of Dayton, Ohio- easily one of the most boring places on earth.

As far as the actual question about their onstage drinking, it was pretty damn crazy at any of the shows I've seen them do, BUT a few key points:

1) Pollard opens a lot more beers than he actually finishes.

2) Usually drinks bottles, but when he has cans he throws a lot of them against the amps and back wall of the stage (makes a tremendous splat)

3) drummer and bassist usually relatively sober (I don't even know if Kevin March drinks, come to think of it)

4) Despite all that drinking, they regulalrly playd 50 songs live- always a different setlist, too. Honestly, the first 20 or so were always much better than the encores (some of bob's vocals got slightly "pitchy" around the 10th beer)

5) If they would have asked me to be their new bass player, Bob would finally have his wet dream Who rhythm section and they'd still be together. I apologize to indie rockers (and record store clerks) everywhere. I tried to convince them that it was a good idea, but they wouldn't listen. AND someone would have finally been able to sing some decent goddamn harmonies on the choruses.

But I do love that band. Seeing them play with Cheap Trick was one of the best double bills of my concert going life.

marcthepirate
audio school graduate

Post by marcthepirate » Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:53 am

Man, I was just listening to Human Amusements At Hourly Rates, thinking about GbV breaking up, and generally getting all choked up.

..then I randomly saw this thread. Thanks guys.

telefunky
audio school

Post by telefunky » Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:05 am

not to sound cliche but they are the only thing that comes close to the beatles for me.
The Beatles??!! Holy cow bigtoe i think it's time to go buy some records. I mean GBV is a nice band, but there are about 1000 bands that fall somewhere between them and the Beatles talentwise.

dwelle
buyin' a studio

Post by dwelle » Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:18 am

yes, but none of them has the mojo of the beatles or gbv.

it's so weird. this was one of THE bands for me from 94 till about 99. quit buying the new stuff, it's good, but everything after under the bushes under the stars doesn't hold the magic for me that the earilier stuff does.

it's nice to see so many folks feelin' the love. i had no idea...

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:37 am

i tell this story a lot.. (ignore if you have heard it) but here is my first GBV experience:

1993/94ish they play at my college. i had never heard them before, went cause my friends were going. they were really drunk, the most exciting thing about the show was that there were maybe 30 people watching them and one of them was kim deal. i thought that they were OK, but i left early cause i was tired- they were getting drunker and worse.

anyway, i go home, fall asleep. wake up and all my housemates are abuzz. turns out after the show all my friends head over to my neighbors house with all of GBV (and mind you the proper 93 lineup!) AND kim deal and they have an all night jam and party.

so i wake up and say housemate A is like, "wasn't that funny when you were playing guitar and kim deal was playing drums and rob pollard was on the moog".

so, point is, worse decision of my life. leaving that show early.

Derrick
re-cappin' neve

Post by Derrick » Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:46 am

Larky Parka :D
Image Image

Derrick

We have a pool... and a pond. Pond's good for you though.

pedrohead
steve albini likes it

Post by pedrohead » Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:17 pm

so for you more seasoned GBV veterans. teach me...what are the albums you have to have?

i've got...

bee thousand and everything after and including isolation drills.

saultime
pushin' record

Post by saultime » Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:32 pm

Wow, it looks like I asked the right bunch of people.

So I'm still listening to the best of CD, and I swear to god, I love it more every time I listen.

These guys were right under my nose. They played at this great little bar in Morgantown in 99 when I lived there! What the fuck was I doing?
When is the Douchebag Rapture?

linus
re-cappin' neve

Post by linus » Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:57 pm

I saw them at the Paradise in Boston about 3 years ago. The show started extremely tight and powerful, morphed to loose and raucus, then degenerated into sloopy messiness (all changes being alcohol induced). I liked them best loose and raucus. They ended up being too drunk to really keep in together toward the end of the show (Bob in particular) but I've always loved seeing rock bands self-destruct.

Very cool band...

bigtoe
deaf.

Post by bigtoe » Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:07 am

"bee thousand and everything after and including isolation drills."

propeller!
the first tobin sprout.
polard gillard- volunteer fire dept.
the first box set.

the beeg studio albums: i like isolation drills - it's grown on me...i liked do the collapse for a bit but it waned quick...zoo pie rules.

Mike

bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

Post by bobbydj » Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:36 am

lonesome_tone wrote:More bands should really take the hint.
Fuck YES!!!!

Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer
(The Crudballs, Tyrone P. Spink, The Fuxx, Shitters, The Geighs...)