Guided By Voices--what's their deal, anyway???

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
LittleDogAudio
pluggin' in mics

Re: Guided By Voices--what's their deal, anyway???

Post by LittleDogAudio » Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:19 pm

I've been lucky enough to work with Doug Gillard when he was in Death of Samantha. I truly believe he is a guitar God. There's just something about him, when he plays that very few other guitarists can achieve. An unknown entity really.

Also, I still work with Todd Tobias. That dude gets some of the greatest guitar tones around. Keep that name handy, you'll hear about again, I'm sure.

Chris
Little Dog Audio
Oh Joy, Oh Joy-More Gear!!!

saultime
pushin' record

Post by saultime » Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:56 pm

Could someone talk more about some of their records being recorded on a 4 track and mixed to a tape deck?

I'm still new to their music, so I haven't had much time at all to learn any of the "mythology."
When is the Douchebag Rapture?

LittleDogAudio
pluggin' in mics

Post by LittleDogAudio » Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:17 am

I did a ton of remastering and restoration for GBV when they were being helped by Skat Records.

I don't remember a lot about the individual songs but I do remember that every song was a gem. The writing was so strong and dare I say, efficient. Meaning: although many of the songs clocked in around 2 minutes, they left you fat and happy waiting for the next one.

As I recall, most of the material was 4 track cassette or 1/4" reel to reel.
I had to do some major restoration on all of the 1/4" because they were stored very badly and had turned to sludge.

That's my GBV story.

Chris
Little Dog Audio
Oh Joy, Oh Joy-More Gear!!!

bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

Post by bobbydj » Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:13 am

On the 3-way behemoth gatefold triple-death B000 Director's Cut viny extravagonzoid no-fi heveanightmare Robert from Scat does refer to the process of transferring BP's cassettes to DAT. And how he kept chopping off beginnings and stuff. Anyway, the point here is that stuff like B000, VoT and probably a number of GbV LPs after that, were mixed down to cassette from 4 track. Whether Robert then transferred all of them to DAT, and sent that to the plant, I dunno. I have emailed and asked him about this end of things but it was a while ago, and while he was very forthcoming, I think he did get a bit bored with my geeking him for details. Poor bloke. :wink:
Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer
(Wives with Knives, Tyrone P. Spink, Potemkin Villagers et al)

lonesome_tone
takin' a dinner break

Post by lonesome_tone » Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:09 am

the weirdest thing about the directors cut bee thousand record is the story about how they actually assembled the album in, gulp, Pro Tools.

i think the whole mastered to cassette thing was just easier to manage as Bob seems to conceptualize albums first and foremost, in fact, before he even made music he dreamed up album and band names, covers, etc (supposedly). he made many many versions of at least bee thousand, and one just wound up coming out.

There was an article on tobin sprout in one of the more mainstream mags a few years ago that actually went into specifics about the four track gear, mics, outboard. I'll try and find it...

lonesome_tone
takin' a dinner break

Post by lonesome_tone » Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:10 am

bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

Post by bobbydj » Sat Jan 29, 2005 4:00 am

lonesome_tone wrote:the weirdest thing about the directors cut bee thousand record is the story about how they actually assembled the album in, gulp, Pro Tools.
Yeah!! I forgot that. TRAITORS I yell. :lol:

But it doesn't mention PT in the link - or I didn't see it. I've read that piece a few times, btw - nice.
Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer
(Wives with Knives, Tyrone P. Spink, Potemkin Villagers et al)

Stephen
steve albini likes it

Post by Stephen » Sat Jan 29, 2005 4:19 am

BEARD_OF_BEES wrote:
nipsy wrote:
bigtoe wrote:hey-

..... not to sound cliche but they are the only thing that comes close to the beatles for me. ok. i'm cliche...what do you want? i live in ohio and work at a desk...i've got my tie on.

gush,
Mike

you need to listen to some xtc, loosen that tie baby.......
and the beegees 1st..
And Klaatu
Pax, Steve
Necessity is a mother....
http://instantdogma.net