String Gauge

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
misterock
gimme a little kick & snare

String Gauge

Post by misterock » Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:56 pm

I just put a set of "not even slinky" Ernie Balls on my Paul. It sounds heavy, I tune to 440.

They are:

24p

How much effect does string gauge have on tone? I think I like these!

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Re: String Gauge

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:30 pm

If you like them then cool...

The string guage has a bunch to do with tone, but there is no "correct" guage for anything. Whatever works for you is the right set.

I just did a record that was really heavy (a band called UNSANE if you know what they sound like) and we did a bunch of overdubs with 12's on a tele after tracking all the basics with 10's. Really made the chords thicken up to have two different sets go down. Really cool. Different overtones stacked up sound neato.

bellulah
gettin' sounds

Post by bellulah » Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:43 pm

dicky dale used to play with 14's. they sound fat, and look like bridge cables.

josh

Family Hoof
buyin' a studio

Post by Family Hoof » Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:58 pm

UNSANE is still around? Awsome! When I was playing death metal it had to be 12 guage or else! If I'd known about heavier guages at the time I would've used them.

Antero
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Antero » Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:41 am

Thicker strings are better for tone, up to a point - there's a thickness after which it's going to start dulling the tone instead of thickening it. Most electrics seem to really like 11s and 12s. 8)
I hate my species.
Spatata
Chuckie Anvil

Zeppelin4Life
re-cappin' neve

Post by Zeppelin4Life » Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:30 am

Malcomn Young was insane. I think he used 14 gauge strings...

.14gauge strings + semi-driven marshalls + overdubbed guitar + some compression

you wonder why thoes ACDC albums sound so huge

now, obviously unless your playing lead thick strings are the way to go, but for lead work and bending and things, .09 or .10 are good. .10 is a good balance of tone and bendability. I prefer the lighest, Super Slinkies. but there are no rules. SRV bent 13 gauge strings like they were nylon
?I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.?
David L
KC2UUM
RadioReference.com Admin, Albany NY

Stephen B.
gettin' sounds

Post by Stephen B. » Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:34 am

Supposedly, SRV's strings were so big he had to substitute a bass string for the low E... But his tone wasn't all that good... (sarcasm)

I think string gauge has a lot to do with tone, but so much of it also is in the fingers, man.
"Badness is only spoiled goodness."

C.S. Lewis

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:26 am

I know this is in the obvious category, but whatever you get, make sure you get the proper intonation setup for the strings.

I used to play 12s, now 11s. 13s on acoustic, and my favorite is the baritone on my Jerry Jones. 13p 18p 30w 44 56 68

norton
buyin' a studio

Post by norton » Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:43 am

I really dig the DR strings. I don't know what they're brand of voodoo is but they make a set of 11's that's just as easy to bend as a set of 10's... BUT you still get the big sound of a heavier gauge.

They've also got some pretty cool strings for hollowbody electrics half bronze/half steel... i think they're called zebras?? they totally do the trick...more acoustic sound and a nice electrified tone too.

what kind of geek have i become? i've got a favorite brand of guitar strings.... sheesh!

JASIII
george martin

Post by JASIII » Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:27 am

GHS burnished nickel have a unique sound, very "Beatle-y" to my ears if that makes sense. I agree the DR's are very good too, you're probably talking about the Pure Blues strings they make, very bendy.
"If you will starve unless you become a rock star, then you have bigger problems than whether or not you are a rock star. " - Steve Albini

Zoltar
gettin' sounds

Post by Zoltar » Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:09 am

a couple of ways strings affect tone:

Smaller strings sound slightly sharp when you pick them, then slide into tune.
When you play them harder and harder, after a certain point them don't get much louder, just bouncier.

Heavy strings carry more tone, they vibrate the guitar more, you can play them harder, and after a few years, your neck might be bent.

When I play in a different tuning, I match the strings so that the tension is fairly consistent top to bottom.

After playing for years, we all subconsciously 'tune on the go' to adjust for the out of tune nature of the 12 tone scale. We do this by changing how hard we press the strings into the frets. Think of a minor third, you have to press the 3rd harder than the root, otherwise it sounds flat. This is much easier on light gauge strings.

One more thing. If you like the heavier strings, you might like Chromos or ground-round. They cost twice as much and break easily, but the tone, oh the tone, and so much fun to play.

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:11 am

I play 12's on my strat and believe (like the other's) that strings are a very important component in tone.

Chords sparkle with heavier gauges, single notes sustain longer and have more body. Heavier strings cause the body of the guitar to vibrate "bigger" also which increases tone and sustain.

Power chords take on a bigger roar and rumble with more dramatic modulation and harmonics.

What's not to like?

Zeppelin4Life
re-cappin' neve

Post by Zeppelin4Life » Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:20 pm

Zoltar wrote:
After playing for years, we all subconsciously 'tune on the go' to adjust for the out of tune nature of the 12 tone scale. We do this by changing how hard we press the strings into the frets. Think of a minor third, you have to press the 3rd harder than the root, otherwise it sounds flat. This is much easier on light gauge strings.
yes and we also bend up a tiny bit or add vibrato that makes the instrument sing more..this is all easier with lighter strings
?I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.?
David L
KC2UUM
RadioReference.com Admin, Albany NY

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:48 pm

norton wrote:I really dig the DR strings. I don't know what they're brand of voodoo is but they make a set of 11's that's just as easy to bend as a set of 10's... BUT you still get the big sound of a heavier gauge.

They've also got some pretty cool strings for hollowbody electrics half bronze/half steel... i think they're called zebras?? they totally do the trick...more acoustic sound and a nice electrified tone too.

what kind of geek have i become? i've got a favorite brand of guitar strings.... sheesh!
Norton,
I was the same way, loved 11's by DR. However, i found myself breaking them rather quickly,, great playing though.. but they were a bit more money wise and i was going through them way too fast.. i just stick with the D'addario 11-52's

the_riff
takin' a dinner break

Post by the_riff » Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:41 pm

I use 13's but i tune down a half step and then sometimes drop to "drop c#"

I would probvably play 14's if they were readily available. I think thicker strings sound better and are better at staying in tune... If you want to do solo's then this is obviously not a good choice.