Update on local studio shooting

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
midiot
pushin' record

Update on local studio shooting

Post by midiot » Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:13 am

I saw an update on a local news channel this morning regarding the shooting and death of a studio owner in Ferndale, MI. It was infact a "local rapper" who shot and killed the owner over a dispute about payment. Supposedly, the client thought he was being charged too much.
boom-ptch-boom

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Re: Update on local studio shooting

Post by joelpatterson » Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:25 am

Well maybe he was being charged too much. Hopefully, that will all come out in court.
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

midiot
pushin' record

Post by midiot » Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:33 am

joelpatterson wrote:Well maybe he was being charged too much. Hopefully, that will all come out in court.
Whether he was being charged too much or not, killing someone is not a good business practice.

But like I said in the original post when this happened. It seems to be a trend with this genre. I'm pointing fingers now.
boom-ptch-boom

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:42 am

This is all very true, and really ghastly to think about... and how come we never hear of STUDIO OWNERS shooting the rappers?
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

midiot
pushin' record

Post by midiot » Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:48 am

joelpatterson wrote:This is all very true, and really ghastly to think about... and how come we never hear of STUDIO OWNERS shooting the rappers?

some day.. some day...

ha!
boom-ptch-boom

djdrake13
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by djdrake13 » Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:06 am

WTF.. I hate when I hear about this type of stuff.
I'm into hip hop, and that's the majority of what I write/record. But its such a bummer to hear about this shit, cause people stereotype hip hop artists/fans as trouble. Which I have to say, I'm finding mostly true. Whenever I've tried to collaborate, I always find people who are fucked up, on drugs, want to steal, etc.. etc...
I've practically given up trying to find other artists and basically do it all myself now.
But its a shitty thing, cause now I want to work with other people on different projects (rock, jazz, techno) but they hear I'm into Rap and they prob. think I'm trouble too.
I wish people didn't have to really life the life, and could just work on it being a fantasy. You don't really have to pack a gun, to be fun. lol

That's my new motto.

"U dont' have to pack a gun... to be fun"
Shut up and Strip Productions
"Always Hiring"

JASIII
george martin

Post by JASIII » Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:29 am

You have rappers in New Hampshire?
"If you will starve unless you become a rock star, then you have bigger problems than whether or not you are a rock star. " - Steve Albini

djdrake13
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by djdrake13 » Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:43 am

Believe it or not its actually pretty big here. Everyone seems to love hip hop, and about half of the people I know freestyle or make beats. Its wacky huh??

I've been trying to start a small jam band just for fun, and I can't find anyone who isn't into Metallica or Rap. Isn't that weird??
"Always Hiring"

lighght
audio school graduate

Post by lighght » Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:54 am

here is the article from the detroit free press, fyi.

Arrest made in studio killing

January 26, 2005

BY MARSHA LOW
FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER

For three weeks, Ferndale police searched for the man responsible for pumping two bullets into Amjed A. Abdallah, leaving him to die on the floor of his 8 Mile music studio.

In the end, Terrence Moore, also known as Terry Maddog 13, made his arrest easy for police.

On Tuesday, Moore, 26, of Detroit was arraigned on a charge of first-degree murder in Ferndale's 43rd District Court. Moore, who has the number 13 tattooed on his forehead, stood silently before Judge Joseph Longo, who entered a not-guilty plea on his behalf.

Abdallah's body was discovered on the studio floor Jan. 4. He had been dead for two days.

Immediately, Moore topped the police list of suspects.

A local rapper, he had been recording songs at Abdallah's studio. But the pair had a tense relationship, police said.

Moore liked to brag that he was a killer. Abdallah, 36, told friends and relatives that Moore made him nervous, police said.

On the night of Jan. 2, Moore knocked on the studio door and Abdallah let him in. The pair began to argue over studio fees. It ended with Moore pulling the trigger of a .357-caliber handgun, unloading two bullets into Abdallah, said Ferndale Detective Lt. Norm Raymond.

Moore left the studio that night with a $25,000 mixing board under his arm, police said. The next day he went to a pawn shop in Detroit and tried to sell it for $5,000.

The shop owner later told police that he didn't buy the mixing board because the serial number was missing. He said Moore often came to the store to try to sell random items. The shop owner described the tattoo on Moore's forehead.

Police visited Moore's Detroit home several times to question him about the shooting.

"The tattoo was obviously a helpful ID," Raymond said. "Each time we interviewed him, he was a little more forthcoming, until he confessed."

Just weeks before the killing, Abdallah was the focus of national media attention for putting his studio up for sale on eBay, advertising it as the place where Eminem recorded his breakthrough CD "The Slim Shady LP." However, most of the tracks for the CD were recorded in Los Angeles.

Abdallah was also well known as the drummer for the popular Detroit band Howling Diablos.

According to Deb Carley, spokeswoman for the Oakland County Prosecutor's Office, Moore has a lengthy criminal history that includes auto theft, breaking and entering and several weapons offenses. He served 51 months in a federal prison and was paroled in September 2001.

Moore is being held without bond in the Oakland County Jail. His preliminary exam begins at 8 a.m. Feb. 3 before Judge Longo. If convicted, Moore faces mandatory life in prison without a chance of parole.

jc_terrones
gettin' sounds

Post by jc_terrones » Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:10 am

I didn't know you could carry a $25,000 mixing board under your arm.

djdrake13
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by djdrake13 » Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:26 pm

jc_terrones wrote:I didn't know you could carry a $25,000 mixing board under your arm.
Ya know I thought the same thing as I read it, but then I thought.. Must be a Behringer.
"Always Hiring"

jc_terrones
gettin' sounds

Post by jc_terrones » Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:28 pm

djdrake13 wrote:
jc_terrones wrote:I didn't know you could carry a $25,000 mixing board under your arm.
Ya know I thought the same thing as I read it, but then I thought.. Must be a Behringer.
Or one of those Chandler TG series sidecars. All joking aside, it's a sad story.

JaredEll
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by JaredEll » Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:11 pm

midiot wrote:
joelpatterson wrote:Well maybe he was being charged too much. Hopefully, that will all come out in court.
Whether he was being charged too much or not, killing someone is not a good business practice.
come on, what if it was really expensive? eh?

fuckface
steve albini likes it

Post by fuckface » Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:42 pm

thats the sentance that grabbed my attention too.
mine is not worth anywhere near $25,000 and theres no way i would be able to carry that 150 lb thing under my arm. (its 5 feet long)

but ya,
good job on tatooing your FOREHEAD especially when you're into crime that much....

"no i saw another guy with a 13 tattoo on his forehead running THAT way"

New Orleans Steve
takin' a dinner break

Post by New Orleans Steve » Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:41 am

In the last 6 years, here in New Orleans there have been at laest 2 cases just like this. I mean JUST LIKE THIS. The news accounts would read almost identically.
Watch your back!

Steve
www.frenchmenstreetrecords.com