old school punk rock

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
jazz
audio school

old school punk rock

Post by jazz » Sat Aug 09, 2003 10:27 am

hey, about to mix an album of some alt country that has a little punk rock to it and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for reference albums in the genre. i know artists, but not albums & what i'm looking for are well balanced and recorded punk albums to check out, you know where the energy comes across great and the tones are good, etc. especially interested in the late 70s New York/Chicago bands more than Brit ones, no offense to them. grassy ass.

trashy
dead but not forgotten

Re: old school punk rock

Post by trashy » Sat Aug 09, 2003 10:55 am

Definitely check out Television's "Marquee Moon". Brilliant production, brilliant brilliant songs. Just about perfect.

Richard Hell's "Blank Generation" is really good.

Patti Smith's "Horses" is pretty good sonically, as is her third album ("easter"). Some really go with "Radio Ethiopia", but it's not one of my faves.

The first four Ramones albums are, of course, seminal. Some might argue against the production, but it defines the sound of the era.

I know you said New York/Chicago, but I would be remiss if I didn't suggest Wire's "Pink Flag". Perfect. Perfect perfect perfect.

I'm not really sure what, if anything, was coming out of Chicago at this time. A few years back Rhino released some compilation cds on the punk movement called "DIY". You can find them pretty readily in cut-out bins and used cd stores. They're broken up by geographical region for America. Maybe there's a Chicago one? Anyway, the cds are great, cheap, and great.

You have heard Uncle Tupelo's records, have you not? The first one ("No Depression") is a great place to start for that country/punk experience.

Meriphew
deaf.

Post by Meriphew » Sat Aug 09, 2003 1:13 pm

Check out some of the earlier Jason & the Scorchers stuff.
Albums of theirs to check out:
Lost and Found
Fervor
Both Sides of the Line
Essential Jason & the Scorchers

danv1983
studio intern

Post by danv1983 » Sat Aug 09, 2003 1:56 pm

check out the x-ray spec's "germ free youth", the stranglers had some really good singles, check out Rattus Norvegicus and No More Heros by them. errrm, i consider xtc's first album "white music" to be very punk sounding though the lyrics aren't. White Music is totally amazing. i'm not sure how old you consider old-skool, but there is some really great post punk stuff out there, i particularly like tuxedo moon, there first few albums are the shit,, guess i didn't mention any new york folks,, sorry
------------------
Daniel Valencia
www.Watts-Up-Pro-Audio.com

bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

Post by bobbydj » Sat Aug 09, 2003 2:15 pm

Have you heard 'Some Day I Will Treat You Right' and 'Tears on Fresh Fruit' from the Sparklehorse LP 'Vivadixieetcetc'? They're really good examples of mixing raw punked out sounds on an LP that also has some country edges.

From NY howsabout revisiting some Blondie? Well why not - although the songs are often so good they kind of over-shadow the production, it's got to be worth just getting a few earfuls of those old singles again - Picture This, Hanging on the Telephone, Denis, etc. etc.

What're the key ingredients with this kind of stuff? I dunno - common ground amongst the stuff mentioned on this thread are tough, tight but also sort of 'medium sized' drums (which always seem to sound quite dry and close mic'd). Obviously there's always quite a lot riding on the guitars (in the case of the Ramones, everything!). The vocals are perhaps a bit lower in the mix than other more mainstream sounds.
Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer
(Wives with Knives, Tyrone P. Spink, Potemkin Villagers et al)

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Sat Aug 09, 2003 2:35 pm

There's always the Mekons.

I'll second the Jason & the (Nashville) Scorchers recommendation. There was a re-release of their first ep on Praxis along with some other stuff they did around that time. Recorded, if I remember correctly, to 4 track reel in somebody's living room. Fine stuff.

black mariah
buyin' gear

Post by black mariah » Sat Aug 09, 2003 8:51 pm

Check out Minor Threat's complete discography. Not just for this project, just in general check it out. :D
Heurh!

The Gibbon
gettin' sounds

Post by The Gibbon » Sat Aug 09, 2003 8:59 pm

My favorite to this day has got to be The Replacements landmark contribution to punk...."STINK".......great songs like "Kids Don't Follow"....."Dope Smokin' Moron"......"Lazy-White"...etc....

wardshorsehead
buyin' gear

Post by wardshorsehead » Sat Aug 09, 2003 9:45 pm

i second uncle tupelo's no depression as a great example of punk meets country.

super skoda
gettin' sounds

Post by super skoda » Sun Aug 10, 2003 10:58 am

Check out the new Discord box set. I think it's called "20 years of Discord". Almost all of it is recorded at Inner Ear Studio but the bredth of punk rock recording styles is pretty great.

aeser
audio school graduate

Post by aeser » Sun Aug 10, 2003 11:19 am

jazz wrote:hey, about to mix an album of some alt country that has a little punk rock to it and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for reference albums in the genre. i know artists, but not albums & what i'm looking for are well balanced and recorded punk albums to check out, you know where the energy comes across great and the tones are good, etc. especially interested in the late 70s New York/Chicago bands more than Brit ones, no offense to them. grassy ass.

listen to X and the minutemen

gravy boat
takin' a dinner break

Post by gravy boat » Sun Aug 10, 2003 12:36 pm

I play in two bands, a straight up punk band, Jesus Christ Superfly and a alt country/roots band Gravy Boat. There aren't al lot of bands that mix the two succesfully. Itseems that the alt country bands could always rock a little harder and unfortunately, most punk bands are a one-trick pony. Off the top of my head there are a few recent releases that sorta straddle the line. Check out the Yahoos record "Fear not the Obvious" on Bloodshot. The band features Dan Baird (Georgia Satelites) and Eric "Roscoe" Ambel (Joan Jett, Del Lords, Steve Earl.) The recording was done an an adat !?!? and it sounds perfectly in-yer face and present. Another good 'un is the Botlle Rockets "Brooklyn Side" which was produced by Roscoe and recorded at Coyote studios in Brooklyn. Its a real good down and dirty analog feel the sweat condensating on the walls kinda record. Btw, what's the name of the band you're mixing? I'm always on the lookout for alt country stuff that rocks.
I'm a drinking man with a guitar problem.

bill tidey
audio school graduate

Post by bill tidey » Sun Aug 10, 2003 5:09 pm

i just picked up that dischord box set. i am only through the first two cds right now but its amazing. and the minutemen are one of my all time favorite bands. double nickles on the dime is just about as perfect as a cd can get.

kaliyuga
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by kaliyuga » Sun Aug 10, 2003 8:17 pm

How about Souled American? Some excellent skewed country/somewhat avant rock. Winky beat me to the Mekons, a seminal group and maybe what you're looking for. Check out [/i]Fear and Whiskey and Edge of the World at least.

Early Meat Puppets, maybe?

Jason
"Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so."

Fletcher
steve albini likes it

Post by Fletcher » Mon Aug 11, 2003 6:08 am

gravy boat wrote:Check out the Yahoos record "Fear not the Obvious" on Bloodshot.
One of my favorite albums ever made... it's a great 'rock and roll' album... but isn't really any kinda 'punk alt. country'... great album none the less!!!