Pacific Pro Audio R-one Ribbon... if you're in read this!

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Greg Dixon
audio school

Re: Pacific Pro Audio R-one Ribbon... if you're in read this

Post by Greg Dixon » Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:14 pm

I'm in for two. Thanks, this is awsome. :D

Pacific Pro
audio school graduate

Post by Pacific Pro » Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:32 pm

As it is the weekend now, we probably will not get any more info before Monday so I thought I would post what I have found out so far. I contacted a number of the Chinese "Manufacturers" and by the pricing it seems the $70.00 guys are it, or at least blood relatives, I have quotes all the way up to 140.00 each. We still need to confirm the pricing on the HRM-4 which seems to be the favorite of the masses. I requested info on the HRM-2 so I will tell you what I know about that and we will assume (for 2 days) that the HRM-4 is the same. Currently as close as I can figure it will be $95.00 per unit to my door, that is shipping, duties, brokerage fees and whatever else the brokers sneak in. I am adding 10% so we are up to 104.50 per mic. As far as shipping to you, I figure an average of $8.00 for a pair to anywhere in the 48 states (AK & HI we will have to talk) and maybe $1.00 for boxes and packing, so $9.00 additional for shipping and insurance per pair in the 48 states. Adding or subtracting a mic will only change that by $1.00-$2.00. So it seems a pair to your door will be $218.00. If I SHIP to Washington add another 8.8% for the privilege of living here.
This is a link I have swiped from darjama (who has done a ton of foot work, and was willing to pass it on, thank you).
http://city-state.net/ribbon/
You can see both of the mics there, feel free to state your preference?somewhere.
If you are still in after the sticker shock...we have created an email address that I will post once everything is final, you can mail your shipping info and payment method. We can take most forms of modern tender, including credit cards, checks, money orders, pay pal etc. The only catch is we have to charge you the prevailing rate on the payment form of your choice, I will get exact later, but M/C&VISA are about 1.9% Amex is about 4% and pay pal is way out there at like 6%? (from memory) checks/money orders add nothing and are fine.
From what I can gleam so far...this factory makes 3 ribbon mics, the Nady (rounded top) which is reserved for Nady (as long as they meet their quota) and the 2 in the link above. It seems that only the body shapes change, but the electronics and ribbon are the same (waiting for confirmation) I have heard the rounded top next to some other fat ribbon mics and was not disappointed...for the money. (That is why we chose to take these on in the first place)
Please note, there is no warranty on your mic, sorry. The 10% we are adding on is not intended to make us a huge profit, but to roughly cover our costs of doing the paper work, foot work, shipping, phones, business taxes etc. (I will post our 800 number for those who do not want to email credit card numbers), Not to cover warranties or returns. I do plan on ordering some spare ribbons and will sell them at cost for a while to help with any bad ones. I have never done business with this factory, but I have experience with 2 others, and I can say our DOA (dead on arrival) rate is running under 1% these days
Everyone seems to want some sort of "Tape Op" designation on these, that is fine, seems we should get Larry's blessing?
That?s lots for now. I will attempt to make this as simple as possible in the end.

Feedback and ideas are welcome (maybe post to the other thread?)

Garth
Pacific Pro

thewelfareline
takin' a dinner break

Post by thewelfareline » Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:57 pm

hey, i am definatly in on this, some one just let me know when and where to send money to.

my email

thewelfareline@yahoo.com
remember when it was dangerous?

check out pics of the new welfareline studios
www.myspace.com/thewelfarelinestudio

senorsmoke
audio school graduate

Post by senorsmoke » Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:30 pm

ok, cool...this is great

I'm in for two and can pay

atdunlap
alignin' 24-trk

Post by atdunlap » Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:32 pm

Hmmmm..... This *is* still a pretty good deal I suppose, but for the original "proposed" $70 dollars a unit.... If you're a Washington state resident (like myself) and do your business through paypal (like myself) that puts the total up to just over $250 (based on all of your numbers, not including any other "broker mark-ups" and such). If you divide that by two, you have already payed $125 dollars (shipped) per unit.... which, while still a good deal is already $55 dollars over what was originally hoped for per unit... Hmmmm... just thinking aloud here, I'm really going to have to consider this one...

Anyone in Eastern/Central Washington willing to go halfsies?

Andrew
When in doubt, try it anyway... it just might work.

X-ian
alignin' 24-trk

Post by X-ian » Sat Jan 29, 2005 1:19 am

If I pick up in Seattle can I avoid the extra 8.8% for Washington residents? I, like the masses prefer the hrm-4 and can we still get it without the cheesy mic cable?

lonesome_tone
takin' a dinner break

Post by lonesome_tone » Sat Jan 29, 2005 1:42 am

double post, sorry
Last edited by lonesome_tone on Sat Jan 29, 2005 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

lonesome_tone
takin' a dinner break

Post by lonesome_tone » Sat Jan 29, 2005 1:44 am

i think most of the jump in price is due to the aluminum boxes now being thrown in, am i right?

it's still a good deal at around $100 each.

orestes31
audio school

Post by orestes31 » Sat Jan 29, 2005 5:21 am

I'm in for 2 and I can pay

orestes31
audio school

Post by orestes31 » Sat Jan 29, 2005 5:24 am

Sorry

I'm in for 2 and I can pay

Mix413
buyin' gear

Post by Mix413 » Sat Jan 29, 2005 5:59 am

Kudos to Garth for doing all this hard work in putting this together. Even though the price is higher, it still an extremely good deal.
Estudio Ensenada
Rincon, Puerto Rico
https://www.facebook.com/estudio.ensenada.PR/

lsn110
steve albini likes it

Post by lsn110 » Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:12 am

I'm in for two and I can pay.

nipsy
pushin' record

Post by nipsy » Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:26 am

im in for two & i can pay

theshaggyfreak
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by theshaggyfreak » Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:28 am

I'm in for 1 and I can pay

versuviusx
re-cappin' neve

Post by versuviusx » Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:23 am

not to be a dick but some of you guys cannot read instructions and cannot count. the reason it would be cool to have some accuracy is because it is possible that if we get a certain number like 200 or 300 people in, we could get even a larger discount and then the price could possibly be dropped a little lower. it's possible...that's all i'm saying.