PPA or Direct POLL.

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.

PPA or Chinotronix

PPA
94%
chinotronix
6%

Total votes: 66

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

PPA or Direct POLL.

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:03 pm

i vote for dealing through PPA.... cast dem bones...
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

JohnDavisNYC

Re: PPA or Direct POLL.

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:29 pm

looks pretty unanimous.

j

trashy
dead but not forgotten

Post by trashy » Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:12 pm

toaster3000 wrote:looks pretty unanimous.

j
pardon me, commisioner, but the TapeOp chrater clearly states that 2/3s of the cheap bastards participating in this must vote or else the election is defaulted. The official number of cheap bastards now stands at 44, so at least 29 need to vote.

Don't make me bring the lawyers in...

JohnDavisNYC

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:20 pm

sorry, i learned everything i know about elections from republicans.

j

Kilroy
buyin' gear

Post by Kilroy » Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:26 pm

can u explain what this poll is about, i dont know what PPA stands for or what chinatronix means

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:37 pm

Kilroy wrote:can u explain what this poll is about, i dont know what PPA stands for or what chinatronix means
UTFSF!!!

dubold
steve albini likes it

Post by dubold » Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:57 pm

Kilroy wrote:can u explain what this poll is about, i dont know what PPA stands for or what chinatronix means
if you don't know what it means, why worry about how to vote? it's not a vote on who gets on the starship that leaves the doomed planet earth, if that helps.

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:40 pm

bump

Randy
tinnitus

Post by Randy » Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:05 pm

toaster3000 wrote:sorry, i learned everything i know about elections from republicans.

j
OK, so we're going OT for a second...

What? and Kerry had nothing to do with handing the "election" to Genocidal Warmongering Bastard?

He should have fought the Ohio rigging. Mark my words, heads will roll on the shit that went down in Ohio. It won't be GWB, but it should be.

Just in case I get misunderstood, I am agreeing with you. (tip o' the hat)

When does the Mothership land? I might have moved to Canada by the time it comes around, and I don't want to miss it.
not to worry, just keep tracking....

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:12 pm

tape op buttheads. ppa is a company that is offering to front the group buy of the cheapo ribbon microphones everyone is peeing about, adding a cut for themselves. The other option is to try and do it ourselves (chinatronix).

Mr. Dipity
carpal tunnel

Post by Mr. Dipity » Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:13 pm

syrupcore wrote:
tape op buttheads. ppa is a company that is offering to front the group buy of the cheapo ribbon microphones everyone is peeing about, adding a cut for themselves. The other option is to try and do it ourselves (chinatronix).
It's a no-brainer.

1. Deal with a legitimate business that does this all day, that you can call if your microphone arrives DOA, that knows exactly how much bullshit parting out 100 (at this point it looks more like 200) microphones is, AND is in the position to think up and organize other fun events of this nature in the future, with other types of stuff. However - something to consider: Pacific Pro Audio is in Seattle - Washingtonians will have to pay state sales tax. Seattlites may be able to offset this by picking the mics up in person. May I suggest some kind of all-at-once, drunken group event?

OR

2. paypal someone you don't know, who's intentions are definitely in the right place, but may or may not completely understand the scope of this undertaking, and expect them to finangle import excises and duty from a far away country, and store, handle and ship 200 microphones out of their living room in their free time after work. and maybe save, worst-case-to-best-case, $10-20 or so on a $150+ purchase, for all the uncertainties and hassle.

However, I do propose we ask pacific pro audio not to label them, and possibly assist us with a label of our own. Considering there are coming on 200 mics involved, they might want to think about it. At least some kind of cross branding ala mercenary audio. "This >is< a problem. But it's all right, because I read about some screwy solution in tapeop" or something to that nature.

I also propose that once we have figured out how we are going to label them, we chip in to send a <b>Tapeop Cheap Bastards</b> brand ribbon mic to Mr. Larry, to hang in his trophy closet.

junior
pluggin' in mics

Post by junior » Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:17 pm

i dunno, but it seems a 10% markup for someone trustworthy to front the cash and handle all the shipping/receiving/packaging is a pretty fair deal - i'm in for a pair ;)
"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep"...
--Scott Adams

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:28 pm

sserendipity wrote:It's a no-brainer.
totally agree. my post above might have sounded otherwise but I'd much rather go the ppa route. just trying answer kilroy's question.

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:37 am

PPA all the way.
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

Devlars
re-cappin' neve

Post by Devlars » Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:57 am

Sserendipity, I understand where you are coming from now. A miscommunication and nothing more. I agree a special TapeOp edition label would make this whole fiasco all the more memorable. Fast forward 20-30 yeasrs down the time line:

Friend 1 brags to friend 2 - "Yeah man I just snagged one of the TapeOp edition PPA ribbon mics off of Ebay for $1000!"

Friend 2 replies- "Luckyyyy"
"Yes, you're very smart. Now shut up."
-Peter Falk
Speakerphone
Rexrode Records