Tape Update!!!! (of sorts)

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Tape Update!!!! (of sorts)

Post by @?,*???&? » Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:05 pm

Don't know what this means to "non-professional" engineers, but the following is from Pro Sound News today:

SPARS Organizes "Project Analog" Plans Custom Quantegy Tape Run

New York, NY (January 27, 2005)--At the news that Quantegy, the last U.S. manufacturer of analog recording tape, had closed its doors and filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection, the Society of Professional Audio Recording Services (SPARS) has taken immediate action to ensure the availability of analog tape to SPARS members.

"We're working with Richard Lindemuth, Quantegy's president and COO, to organize runs of specific analog tape denominations," stated Andrew Kautz, SPARS president and CEO of Nashville's Emerald Entertainment. "Our goal is to get analog tape back in the pipeline as quickly as possible, keeping tape available and affordable as a creative tool for our profession."

According to Kautz, with sufficient response, a run of various analog tape lines including GP9, 456 and/or 499 could be accomplished relatively quickly at Quantegy's Opelika, AL manufacturing plant.

"In addition to music recording services," Kautz commented, "analog tape is used by other customers such as NASA who require the reliability only analog tape provides. We want to preserve a tool and legacy that has been integral in the creation of the best sonic standard we have to date.

"We also want to help Quantegy, a company that has been a vital part of our industry for many years. Quantegy has provided, not only tape, but also moral support and a sense of community in our charitable events. In this trying time, we want to show them that the recording community cares about their company and their product and wants to ensure that they remain a viable part of our industry.

"SPARS represents various segments of the recording industry," Kautz concluded, "including studios, equipment rental, coordinators, other support services and educational facilities. Our mission is to work together to communicate with, and provide direction to, our industry. The current analog tape situation is a prime example of an issue that affects our membership's business interests. We hope to hear from many in the industry who want to participate in this endeavor to maintain the flow of analog product."

To participate in the SPARS-authorized Quantegy tape order, please call 1-800-752-0732 and reference SPARS. Your order will be taken, added to the list, and you will be contacted within a few days with a time frame for fulfillment of your order. For further analog updates, go to www.spars.com or call SPARS at 800-771-7727.

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Re: Tape Update!!!! (of sorts)

Post by eeldip » Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:11 pm

Jeff Robinson wrote:Don't know what this means to "non-professional" engineers,
classy!

fuckface
steve albini likes it

Post by fuckface » Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:14 pm

ya i got an email about that today

JASIII
george martin

Post by JASIII » Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:16 pm

eeldip wrote:
classy!
real shocker, eh? I lost any thread of respect i may have had for this joker after he tried belittling someone who had just done a session at Abbey Road. what a choad!

Thanks for all those Toad the Wet Sprocket albums! making coffee for those guys must have been challenging and rewarding!
"If you will starve unless you become a rock star, then you have bigger problems than whether or not you are a rock star. " - Steve Albini

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:19 pm

sooooo close to an awesome post jeff, keep trying and maybe you'll manage to not belittle somebody some day. as a 'sesh-pro' this is exciting news for me.

i'm calling tomorrow. gotta get some more 499 2"...

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

rucchi166
pluggin' in mics

Post by rucchi166 » Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:38 pm

wow a member of SPARS...send them a check for $175.00 and you can be one too...so exclusive...

scott anthony
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by scott anthony » Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:42 pm

By non-professional, are you referring to engineers with little or no skill, or ones that don't make a living recording?

Over the years, I've met many "professionals" that landed gigs by belittling the efforts and intentions of others while attempting to inflate their own reputation. A few were talented...

scott anthony
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by scott anthony » Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:44 pm

Yikes... did I just do what I think I did?

:oops:

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:44 pm

rucchi166 wrote:wow a member of SPARS...send them a check for $175.00 and you can be one too...so exclusive...
Look, just because Jeff's post starts out with indications of his strong personal opinions doesn't mean that we now need to get into bashing the professional organizations. If you don't find a use for SPARS, then don't join. Personally, I think it's pretty fucking cool that they've managed to get Quantegy to pull off runs of specific tape formulations to help their industry. That's a prime example of organizations doing something useful. God bless 'em for it.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

scott anthony
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by scott anthony » Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:45 pm

cgarges wrote:Personally, I think it's pretty fucking cool that they've managed to get Quantegy to pull off runs of specific tape formulations to help their industry. That's a prime example of organizations doing something useful. God bless 'em for it.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Agreed!

JohnDavisNYC

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:49 pm

word.

*group hug*

john/
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

rucchi166
pluggin' in mics

Post by rucchi166 » Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:58 pm

i wasn't trying to bash spars...jeff made the post sound like only the most elite professional recording engineer would be able to get in on the tape deal...when in fact spars is geared towards pretty much everyone who records...i.e. the $175.00 membership fee for home/non-commercial studio...no dig on spars intended...

soundguy

Post by soundguy » Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:23 pm

some of you guys should listen to yourself sometimes. Perhaps jeff was just referring to what most of the people here are, non professional engineers meaning people who do not work as engineers for their primary source of income. No statement of talent or creativity or anything else. It just happens that the people that have anything to do with SPARS are typically people who are involved in the industry professionally, people who can afford to join and have a relevant reason for paying the membership, these are mostly "professionals". Anyone who reads this board knows that that is not the primary readership on this board and instead of bashing this guy for being a snide jerk maybe you should thank him for going out of his way to share some info with some people that might find it useful that might have not ordinarily have come across it. He very easily could just ignore this place just like every other "professional engineer" in the industry does. You guys can laugh all you want at Jeff but the reaction this guy gets really is the writing on the wall.

dave
http://www.glideonfade.com
one hundred percent discrete transistor recording with style and care.

helstab
george martin

Post by helstab » Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:38 pm

soundguy wrote:some of you guys should listen to yourself sometimes. Perhaps jeff was just referring to what most of the people here are, non professional engineers meaning people who do not work as engineers for their primary source of income. No statement of talent or creativity or anything else. It just happens that the people that have anything to do with SPARS are typically people who are involved in the industry professionally, people who can afford to join and have a relevant reason for paying the membership, these are mostly "professionals". Anyone who reads this board knows that that is not the primary readership on this board and instead of bashing this guy for being a snide jerk maybe you should thank him for going out of his way to share some info with some people that might find it useful that might have not ordinarily have come across it. He very easily could just ignore this place just like every other "professional engineer" in the industry does. You guys can laugh all you want at Jeff but the reaction this guy gets really is the writing on the wall.

dave
*hands dave a tissue* you've got some shit on your lip there buddy.
-Matthew Macchio$tab

Mr PC
buyin' gear

Post by Mr PC » Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:41 pm

In his defense, he did use quotation marks when he typed "non-professionals" ('"non-professionals'"?). If he really wanted to belittle people like me, he would have just typed it straight out.

PC