Tape-Op Co-Op ideas

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
darjama
tinnitus

Tape-Op Co-Op ideas

Post by darjama » Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:25 am

Since things seem to be rolling with the ribbon mics, any ideas for other products we could co-op on?

For it to be feasible, it would have to be relatively high margin items that a large number of people would be interested in, so things like universal audio products wouldn't work. Also, large brands that do their own manufacturing are unlikely to want to cooperate amd piss off G*it*r C*nt*r.

One thing that might be a good idea would be good quality mic stands. Anything else?

norton
buyin' a studio

Re: Tape-Op Co-Op ideas

Post by norton » Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:07 am

What other gear fits into this category? I like the mic stand idea for sure... and i'm sure that we could pool a sizeable group for the purchase of a compressor or preamp but does anything fit into the model as well as these mic's? as far as quality and pricepoint go?

maybe effects pedals??

Devlars
re-cappin' neve

Post by Devlars » Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:17 am

Well I'd love to get my hands on the RNP. That's my suggestion, I'm sure more will come later.
"Yes, you're very smart. Now shut up."
-Peter Falk
Speakerphone
Rexrode Records

covert
pushin' record

Post by covert » Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:21 am

darjama wrote:Since things seem to be rolling with the ribbon mics, any ideas for other products we could co-op on?

For it to be feasible, it would have to be relatively high margin items that a large number of people would be interested in, so things like universal audio products wouldn't work. Also, large brands that do their own manufacturing are unlikely to want to cooperate amd piss off G*it*r C*nt*r.

One thing that might be a good idea would be good quality mic stands. Anything else?
I'd be into a similar thing on Beyer mics, esp M-160.
"when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."

lobstman
buyin' gear

Post by lobstman » Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:29 am

covert wrote:I'd be into a similar thing on Beyer mics, esp M-160.
You can get them in europe for just under $400 US. I imagine they'd make you go through a US dealer, but I wonder what the end column is on 100 units?
Steve Albini used to like it

slowblue
gettin' sounds

Post by slowblue » Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:44 am

Yeah, I'd go for a RNC as well or how about a vintech 1272, sorry, dreaming.

covert
pushin' record

Post by covert » Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:47 am

lobstman wrote:
covert wrote:I'd be into a similar thing on Beyer mics, esp M-160.
You can get them in europe for just under $400 US. I imagine they'd make you go through a US dealer, but I wonder what the end column is on 100 units?
I really don't much care about who I go through. They average $600 to $650 in the states. Normal retail markup would suggest that dealer cost is around $429. I'd probably go for something in the $450 range.
"when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:48 am

I think FMR probably operates on a thin margin, but of course I would love to get a RNC.

I think the utility items would be great, mic stands, mic cables but the one thing it seems everyone is always requesting are good mic pre's at a decent price. Seems like if we could score something like that, that would be a home run. But I am not sure what we could find. . .
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

JASIII
george martin

Post by JASIII » Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:03 am

I work at a music store and we called FMR the other day to try to get a dealership, but they said they can't handle any more dealers. that sucks. However, I can get M160's through a catalog. Looks like the price per unit would cost me right around $300 ea. Also I can get Senn 421's for about the same. The only issue would be the possibility of things being backordered since they are a catalog, not direct from the manufacturer.

Just thought I'd throw that out there, I'm not sure if there would be a further discount for quantity, I can have our purchaser check it out. I can however get anything AKG direct and there is an end column discount for quantity for sure. Business has been slow and we're a mom and pop type store, so my boss might go for an idea like this.
"If you will starve unless you become a rock star, then you have bigger problems than whether or not you are a rock star. " - Steve Albini

Wild Bill
pushin' record

Post by Wild Bill » Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:18 am

I didn't get in on the mics because I have 2 already, but I'd love more good preamps or EQ. The compressor idea is good, too.

Just my $ .02
Bill~~~

Devlars
re-cappin' neve

Post by Devlars » Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:39 am

Any business that I can direct towards FMR I will gladly do it, Mark is a great guy and very helpful. But I had said the RNP would be nice, not the RNC. How much could they seriously mark the RNC down when it's already a mere $175 through Mercenary. Not that I wouldn't go for another RNC (I love mine) at a cheaper price but not if it meant any sort of loss to the people at FMR.
"Yes, you're very smart. Now shut up."
-Peter Falk
Speakerphone
Rexrode Records

junkstar
re-cappin' neve

Post by junkstar » Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:42 am

Or get a ton of us to push Oktava to run a new big batch of 012's. I still don't have a pair of those..

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:48 am

012's would be great. I was thinking I may be the only person on this board that doesn't have a pair.

Yeah, the RNP is my next purchase actually. Pushed back slightly due to the mic purchase.
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

assfortress
steve albini likes it

Post by assfortress » Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:52 am

junkstar wrote:Or get a ton of us to push Oktava to run a new big batch of 012's. I still don't have a pair of those..
what about some of those lomo capsules. maybe they would be a little cheaper if we did it this way.
"It?s the consequence you?ll pay, as long as you got the sound of it blowing up on tape."

Max
takin' a dinner break

Post by Max » Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:28 am

I can imagine that other chinese brands/factories that don't distribute their products directly on a western market might be interested.
I'm here in Germany and I just had look at a couple of the T.bone microphones that Thomann is selling, a German version of a mix between GC and Sweetwater.

http://www.netzmarkt.de/thomann/herst-1091.html?iwid=2

I suppose that their ribbon mic is the same mic as the Nady or the PPA mic.
Others (i.g. the SCT2ooo, or the SC 100) look very similar or even identical to S.E. Electronics mics (see last Tape Op issues review), others look like, ahh I forgot, but smilar to some other chinese brand.
So I guess that T.bone, a company that doesn't built mics on their own, just buys a cheap bunch of different mics from different companies in China and distributes them with their own logo - and probably their own quality control .
If these chinese companies sell their mics to Thomann, Nady, PPA or i don't now who else, why wouldn't they sell them to Co-Op Tape Oppers?
There's no business like business!