Big cavernous live room treatment (with pictures)

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Flight Feathers
re-cappin' neve

Re: Big cavernous live room treatment (with pictures)

Post by Flight Feathers » Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:43 pm

that room is twice the size of my entire apartment!

i made some hanging panels out of dense fiberglass boards (703 equivalent) covered in fabric. takes very little time to make each one, and they look nice if you use a nice fabric (people always ask if they are modern art :D ). they are easy to remove. i can take pictures if it helps.

oh, get nice big rug. that helps A LOT.
5D Studios <-- my OLD studio
Flight Feathers <-- my band

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sat Jan 29, 2005 4:16 pm

The ceiling in my live room is like two of yours next to each-other. A friend of mine and I built a frame of 1"x6" boards 2'x4' rectangle/ We stapled some cool looking fabric to the inside bottom of the frame. We then loaded it with rooled fiberglass insulation. We mounted 2' chains to the corners and put four kooks in the ceiling to hang it from. I can get up there and make it closer of farther from the ceiling. It made a huge difference and didn't cost much money. The splashy/splatty thing is much more in control. I only made one, so I can put drums under it and still have a more splashy section of the room for room mics.

Here's a old panoramic picture. The 'cloud' hange on the celieng section where theheating return is. The drums go under it.

My Room[/url]

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Sat Jan 29, 2005 4:27 pm

Four kooks in the ceiling? Better not mention any names...
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Sun Jan 30, 2005 12:33 pm

It's been mentioned before, but you should check out TapeOp's resident gear geek Andy Hong's studio space and article. It covers how to tame the acoustics in a larger space:

http://kimcheerecords.com/articles/

xpulsar
pushin' record

Post by xpulsar » Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:16 pm

Diffusion and Absortion. I wouls start by Getting some 3" thick Owens Corning 705 . It comes in 2'X4' sheets . I would wrap the 705 in cloth and hang that on the walls and ceiling but spread it around . and only add a little at a time. I would also get some 4'X8' sheets to plywood with one side finished and make random angles around the room on the walls witht hese sheets. Maybe cut the sheets in half length wise. but have them go from the floor to 8' high. Just play around with the absorbsion and diffsion of the romm until it sounds tamed to your ears.

jajjguy
re-cappin' neve

Post by jajjguy » Sun Jan 30, 2005 6:00 pm

BEARD_OF_BEES wrote:I think you would ideally want bass traps in a room like that..
not necessarily. the room looks quite large in the picture, so you aren't likely to have the ugly bass problems that smaller rooms do. the main thing i'd watch for is those two big bare parallel walls: you may have some flutter problems. these can be treated with absorption or diffusion or a combination.

citystate
takin' a dinner break

Post by citystate » Sun Jan 30, 2005 8:07 pm

I'm going to try some simple absorption on the long walls. They're not parallel even though you can't really tell in that picture. I'm just trying to get as many sounds as I can out of the room, not just the one loud as hell (but awesome) sound. Thanks for all the replies too.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sun Jan 30, 2005 8:35 pm

joelpatterson wrote:Four kooks in the ceiling? Better not mention any names...
D'OH! A typist I isn't...

Hooks Hooks Hooks

Sure I can type now...

Joel,

I own you a CD...

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:35 pm

Tony, you're a cruel cruel man for posting pictures like that on the web.

:cry:

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:49 pm

jajjguy wrote:
BEARD_OF_BEES wrote:I think you would ideally want bass traps in a room like that..
not necessarily. the room looks quite large in the picture, so you aren't likely to have the ugly bass problems that smaller rooms do. the main thing i'd watch for is those two big bare parallel walls: you may have some flutter problems. these can be treated with absorption or diffusion or a combination.
I'm no expert..so maybe your right..

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Mon Jan 31, 2005 1:00 pm

heartsoffire wrote:If you have the time and energy, you are better off building your own absorbers. I was able to put together 33 absorbers (4-superchunks for the corners, 9-4" and 20-3") for a little over $400. This included the mineral wool, burlap fabric, and other hardware.

Compare to anywhere else. Once I've completed installing all of them, I'll post pictures. While my room is not nearly as impressive in size as yours, you will at least get the idea.

Oh, and by the way, these absorbers are equal to or exceed anything that you can buy commercially. The look good too!

You can also check out another acoustics forum with some great resources and experts. http://forum.studiotips.com/index.php

Chances are good that if you post your picture, you'll get some awesome information.
Yes, please post some picts of your superchunks when available. I'm interested in making some of those as well.. checked out the link, interesting.. just would like to get some idea on how you "finished" them and such.

Did you connect them to the wall? or is it just free standing stacked 703 then covered in cloth?

any suggestions on different fabrics people are using? And different sound adjustment done with different types of fabric; tighter threads tighter weave vs loose weave, etc..

i bought some of the burlap bag material and its a shedding nightmare and and didn't take the black dye very well. I need to hunt down some higher quality material. I figured it would do well with the larger weave, allow more absorbtion across the spectrum.. but i need to find some higher quality material that doesn shed as bad, and comes in another color than brown.