Big cavernous live room treatment (with pictures)

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
citystate
takin' a dinner break

Big cavernous live room treatment (with pictures)

Post by citystate » Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:43 pm

Here's my live room with my kit setup in the middle. It is the LOUDEST sounding room I've ever heard, like my kit is mic'd up. It is a huge, roomy, amazing sound but I need to do some treatment to make it more versatile soundwise and for separation when recording a live band. Any suggestions on specific treatment? I've looked at the auralex site for a while but i am not sure what would work the best in terms of versatility.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Re: Big cavernous live room treatment (with pictures)

Post by joel hamilton » Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:25 pm

How does it sound through the mics?

Treat accordingly. I have gotten away with that in two studios now, and I like the results.

Listen to a pair of omni's really far away from the kit, but kind of away from any walls (as much as possible) and see what frequency the room "rings" at when the snare is really cracked, or during a cymbal frenzy.

I did that with a pal in my old studio and wound up putting two fabric covered fiberglass insulation-on-pegboard type thingies and that was all I needed to keep the cymbals from getting stupid nrear the control room wall.

That was it.

DavidATX
takin' a dinner break

Post by DavidATX » Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:34 pm

That room looks like fun.

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:35 pm

I've seen godawful cavernous gyms turned into ROCKIN' resonant rooms and in these cases the secret was hanging slabs of... well... say you were a giant, and you wanted to play with dominoes, and you made huge dominoes ten feet long out of foam rubber... or thicker than foam rubber, more like ten foot long dried out sponges... and hanging these suspended under the ceiling, or out from the walls.

Or just hanging carpets against the walls can really soak up sounds. You could declare separate zones and put up waist high or shoulder high gobos out of just plywood and blankets, and that would separate things quite a bit. Enough to work with a band that was all playing together anyway.

God, beautiful work, great floor, warm colors.
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

idylldon
pushin' record

Post by idylldon » Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:46 pm

Go here and post your question and your photo: http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/ultimate ... forum;f=26

Cheers,
--
Don

dwelle
buyin' a studio

Post by dwelle » Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:04 pm

if you want an education, check ethan winers site...

mikedaul
audio school graduate

Post by mikedaul » Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:26 pm

There is a lot of good info here: http://www.realtraps.com/

Aurelex folks will tell you differently, but it seems the concensus is that ethan's traps are the bomb, and very good deal (although not exactly inexpensive...)

heartsoffire
audio school

Post by heartsoffire » Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:37 pm

If you have the time and energy, you are better off building your own absorbers. I was able to put together 33 absorbers (4-superchunks for the corners, 9-4" and 20-3") for a little over $400. This included the mineral wool, burlap fabric, and other hardware.

Compare to anywhere else. Once I've completed installing all of them, I'll post pictures. While my room is not nearly as impressive in size as yours, you will at least get the idea.

Oh, and by the way, these absorbers are equal to or exceed anything that you can buy commercially. The look good too!

You can also check out another acoustics forum with some great resources and experts. http://forum.studiotips.com/index.php

Chances are good that if you post your picture, you'll get some awesome information.
Mark Staples
Hearts of Fire Productions
P.O. Box 379
Evans, GA 30809
mark@hofpmail.com

citystate
takin' a dinner break

Post by citystate » Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:41 pm

Thanks for the replies so far. I checked out realtraps and I like the fact that they are moveable, that's definitely more what I'm looking for instead of the auralex panels. Realtraps are pretty pricey so I'd definitely love pictures of any DIY versions.

I actually haven't recorded a thing in that room yet. I just finished it off about a week ago and am getting the control room gear sorted.

spankenstein
re-cappin' neve

Post by spankenstein » Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:59 pm

For separation on the cheap end look for old cubicle walls.

NeglectedFred
pushin' record

Post by NeglectedFred » Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:05 pm

I've done a room covered completely in carpet padding, walls and ceiling. It's effective for a realatively inexpensive cost. It has it's own sounds, I love recording drums in it. I bubbled it on the walls, and sagged it on the ceilings. You'd be surprized.

If I had a room like that, and I liked the way the drums sounded, I'd just make two or three cabinets or closets, about 4' x 4' x 4' for guitar or bass cabs, then aurelex the crap out of them. I'd just put a little hole in the top for cables so your clients can put their heads on top and run cables down into them, but you could go all out and attach some wall plates on them for a few 1/4 connectors and some XLR connectors for mics.

This way you keep the sound of your nice room, the whole band can play in the same room and make eye contact, while bleed through is still minimal.
Last edited by NeglectedFred on Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:09 pm

citystate, you Rock man.

I've got a tear in my eye. That's a beautiful picture.

Sniff Sniff :cry:

i am monster face
buyin' gear

Post by i am monster face » Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:00 pm

I never cease to be amazed by you guys. Holy shit. Am I seriously the only person on this board who does not have one hell of a kick ass room? Holy shit. I would give anything to have shit like that. You guys are fucking cool.

Damnit,
Ian

stinkpot
pushin' record

Post by stinkpot » Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:27 am

yeah, that's a sweet ass room. nice score!

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Sat Jan 29, 2005 1:31 pm

Thats a pretty nice room..its drywall right?

I think you would ideally want bass traps in a room like that..as well as broad band absorbtion..and difusion/diffraction..2-3" Owens-Corning 705-frk (or = material) traps in ALL corners..2-3" 703 (or=material) everyplace else..all over the room as many as you can afford..add some difusion and or diffraction made of wood (or = material)..

this is ideal and not very cheap..especially if you dont "DIY" the treatment..I just thought you might find this info useful..but like Joel said you can make it work with next to nothing..

also im not an expert