Re-recording a great (or not so great) album

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
NeglectedFred
pushin' record

Re-recording a great (or not so great) album

Post by NeglectedFred » Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:55 pm

I just thought it would be really entertaining, and educational to start a thread where people can pick an album and re-engineer it in your head. What would you do with an unlimited budget.. Just imagine, your favorite band or artist comes to you to redo their album. What would you do? Are there any particular techniques, or equipment you'd use?

Just to start this thing off, I'de like to take a well recorded album that everyone knows, like Metallica, let's say the Black album, and rerecord it all on Behringer equipment. Behringer mics, pre's, compressors, outboard effects, and mixer!! I want to put my abilities to the test, as well as experience the difference that quality gear really makes. I bet we'd all kill ourselves if it sounded better than the original.. :)

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Re: Re-recording a great (or not so great) album

Post by soundguy » Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:30 pm

I would like to re-record any of the jimi hendrix records (you pick which) without eddie kramer and Im guaranteeing better results.

I would like to re-record Led Zeppelin 2 without eddie kramer with the same promise.

I would like to re-record all things must pass without phil spector.

I would like to re-record the Cult "sonic temple" without bob rock.

I would like to remaster any fucking record made in the last 6 years just so I can listen to the damn thing without having my ears hurt from the fucking level, there is a level knob on my stereo, I would occasionally like to turn it louder than 2.

I would like to rerecord all the pink floyd records with syd barret and let dave gilmore just sit at a table and eat food.

I would like to rerecord the mess that is the second full length veruca salt LP and that one I would like to record myself. anyone but bob rock. how can you fuck up something soooo good?

gear doesnt really matter when you are dealing with talent. Look at the last elliot smith record, Im bettting that had he been around to mix that it would havve sounded really lo-fi or less hi-fi, whatever, Im betting he didnt record thhat record with the best gear on earth but to listen to it you'd think that was the case, what an awesome sounding record.

Oh, Id also like to pair terry date and barbara streisand together, that would just be flat out interesting.

dave
http://www.glideonfade.com
one hundred percent discrete transistor recording with style and care.

NeglectedFred
pushin' record

Post by NeglectedFred » Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:42 pm

soundguy wrote:
Oh, Id also like to pair terry date and barbara streisand together, that would just be flat out interesting.

dave
I love it, man! That message was awesome.. I read an interview with Eddie Kramer, he said he doesn't spend 20 minutes trying to get the right sound, he throws up mics, and records. He also said he doen't do a lot after it's been tracked - he likes to add whatever effects he plan's on using from the get-go.. This may explain some of your Kramer-Anger!

Slider
george martin

Post by Slider » Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:05 pm

soundguy wrote:I would like to re-record any of the jimi hendrix records (you pick which) without eddie kramer and Im guaranteeing better results.

I would like to re-record Led Zeppelin 2 without eddie kramer with the same promise.

I would like to re-record the Cult "sonic temple" without bob rock.

I would like to remaster any fucking record made in the last 6 years just so I can listen to the damn thing without having my ears hurt from the fucking level, there is a level knob on my stereo, I would occasionally like to turn it louder than 2.

I would like to rerecord all the pink floyd records with syd barret and let dave gilmore just sit at a table and eat food.

I would like to rerecord the mess that is the second full length veruca salt LP and that one I would like to record myself. anyone but bob rock. how can you fuck up something soooo good?

gear doesnt really matter when you are dealing with talent. Look at the last elliot smith record, Im bettting that had he been around to mix that it would havve sounded really lo-fi or less hi-fi, whatever, Im betting he didnt record thhat record with the best gear on earth but to listen to it you'd think that was the case, what an awesome sounding record.

dave

This is up there in the top 10 of Dave posts.
Fucking great.

Slider
george martin

Post by Slider » Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:08 pm

And Eddy Kramer has got to be one of the most overated engineers in history.
And he's an asshole to people working in studio's next to him.
And he sucks at pool.

i am monster face
buyin' gear

Post by i am monster face » Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:03 pm

soundguy wrote:

Amen.

Ian

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:22 pm

So...whatever happened to the TapeOp Abbey Road project (or the Rain Dogs project, or the other one we were doing)?

btw, not everybody knows Metallica's Black Album. I kinda think Metallica suck. (I say that in the "I don't enjoy their music" sense of the word, not the "I think they are a bad band" sense.)
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

SKEETER
steve albini likes it

Post by SKEETER » Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:33 pm

I would go for Physical Graphiti. That is a fantastic album, but the bass is mixed way back in it, I would remix it more like Zep II.
I never liked the LET IT BE album either , because of the production, it always sounded to me like it was mixed inside a shoe box, the drums sound like they was recorded in a very small room ( I know they were not) and the entire mix sounds dry with bad ambiance. I would give the drums a little short ambiance, and the selectively do the same to vocals and other instruments. I have not heard LET IT BE NAKED.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:36 pm

You should check it out. it sounds nice.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Sat Jan 29, 2005 1:12 am

compare let it be to the last song on blood sugar sex magic. Its a challenge to record drums outside.

dave
http://www.glideonfade.com
one hundred percent discrete transistor recording with style and care.

numberthirty
steve albini likes it

Post by numberthirty » Sat Jan 29, 2005 1:27 am

Soundguy: If you could make the Date/Babs thing happen I'd chip in on the recording tab. First, I'd give the team of Rick Rubin and Glenn Danzig access to an unlimited slush fund and whatever means the deemed needed to re-record the following: All AC/DC records after Back in Black. All of the Ramones records. All Metallica records up until And Justice for All(wouldn't be much point after that would there?) Second, Brendan O'Brien(same slush/means combo) would be handed all Guns N' Roses and Hanoi Rocks records to re-record. Third, Brad Laner from Medicine would be assigned with re-recording Aeroplan over the Sea by Neutral Milk Hotel. Fourth, Kevin Shields would be made to re-record Shakespear's Sister's Hormonally yours. Fifth, Crow from the board would be given the formidable task of re-recording Ashlee Simpsons record without any computer fixes of any kind(seriously! I think Michael could pull it off!) upon completion of the Ashlee Simpson record, Michael would be given free reign to re-record the Prescott Curlywolf release of his choosing. Last, I would be allowed to re-record the Simple Plan and Clay Aiken records. Downside: This ends with me facing multiple murder with an at best shaky alibi....

bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

Post by bobbydj » Sat Jan 29, 2005 1:48 am

numberthirty wrote: All of the Ramones records.
Even Leave Home?? Wtf.
Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer
(Wives with Knives, Tyrone P. Spink, Potemkin Villagers et al)

Stephen
steve albini likes it

Post by Stephen » Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:28 am

SKEETER wrote: I never liked the LET IT BE album either , because of the production, it always sounded to me like it was mixed inside a shoe box, the drums sound like they was recorded in a very small room ( I know they were not) and the entire mix sounds dry with bad ambiance.
Actually some of the drums were recorded in a small room, from what I know.
Pax, Steve
Necessity is a mother....
http://instantdogma.net

Stephen
steve albini likes it

Post by Stephen » Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:30 am

soundguy wrote:I would like to re-record any of the jimi hendrix records (you pick which) without eddie kramer and Im guaranteeing better results.

dave
I am going to disagree here. The drums sound fucking huge on those records and compared to the pussy sounding drums on just about everything else from that time period I'd say Eddie did a decent job.
Pax, Steve
Necessity is a mother....
http://instantdogma.net

wenley
takin' a dinner break

Post by wenley » Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:04 am

if you can get hold of the Glyn Johns mixes of Get Back (the original title and running sequence of Let It Be) I think you'd probably dig it. I haven't heard Let It Be Naked, but I heard Get Back (it is only available on a bootleg CD) years ago and thought it was great. I don't endorse bootlegs, but it's worth hearing just as an artifact of a great band knocking around in the studio. Sounded almost like a Replacements record or something. Very live, and very loose. Fun stuff.