Tape Op trashed on Motu Mac listserv

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
earl parameter
buyin' gear

Re: Tape Op trashed on Motu Mac listserv

Post by earl parameter » Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:12 pm

wait a sec i just checked this guys website out. you've got to see this...

http://www.daviddas.com/

`````````````````

A selection of recordings that, if stranded on a desert island, I'd want with me...

Take 6 - Take 6

Burlap to Cashmere - Anybody Out There?

Billy Joel - Greatest Hits Vols. 1 & 2

Bruce Hornsby - The Way It Is and Spirit Trail

Ginny Owens - Without Condition

Fred Hammond - Pages of Life Vols. 1 & 2

Brian McKnight - Brian McKnight

Kenny Rogers - Timepiece

Ravel Piano Concertos (Alicia de Larrocha, Leonard Slatkin, St. Louis Symphony Orchestra).

Toto - Tambu

...and my all-time favorite groove...

Rosanna" from Toto IV

````````````````````

first off there is a greatest hits record in there. something is beyond wrong with this guy. and to top it all off.....

TOTO

and this guy lives in nashville. maybe i should pay him a visit.......................

Bear's Gone Fission
gettin' sounds

Post by Bear's Gone Fission » Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:02 pm

mistersalty wrote: And how did this degenerate into a "I hate Steely Dan because they're digitally recorded now." thread. Hey, most studios are primarily digital now and I wouldn't say SD are anti-analog. Hell, over 90% of their damn catalog was done on a 24 track 2 inch tape machine, I'm pretty sure. I agree entirely with the poster who said this is just a pissing contest of who can be the most caustic and cynical, having nothing to do with what you like to listen to and/or use for recording/mixing.
quote]

Nothing to do with the format, I hate all the dildo music equally. Why in god's name can't I just hate Steely Fucking Dan?

Bear

mungojeff
audio school

Post by mungojeff » Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:43 am

I am a long time motu-mac member and an even longer motu-mac user. Motu-mac is great when you have DP and you get into a bind. The rest of it is extraneous. The proof is in the pudding my friends.

Tape Op is more like Bristol Farms (read-upscale grocery store) and motu-mac is more like your local strawberry stand.

Peace.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:01 am

I've never seen the Steely Dan-bashing be part of the digital-bashing on this board; they're separate issues, generally. Many of the anti-Dan folks (aside from those who just don't like the music) tend to somehow equate Steely Dan with Southern California cocaine-fuelled '70s corporate rock and all that was eeeeevil about it, which I've always found odd since Gary Wright, Peter Frampton, Seals & Crofts and even (some would say especially) Fleetwood Mac epitomize that genre and its excesses much more than the Dan do. Lump all these acts together on Classic Rock Radio and I can see how you might make the mistake of thinking they all stand for the same lameness. But it ain't so, nohow.

"a lot of people think of Steely Dan as the epitome of boring 70s stuff, never realising this is probably the most subversive material pop has ever thrown up." --William Gibson
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

penelec
steve albini likes it

Post by penelec » Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:41 am

Yo man, lay off the Seal-and-Crofts bashing. They're the best Baha'i band ever.

Mr. Dipity
carpal tunnel

Post by Mr. Dipity » Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:53 am

dwlb wrote:I've always found odd since Gary Wright, Peter Frampton, Seals & Crofts and even (some would say especially) Fleetwood Mac epitomize that genre and its excesses much more than the Dan do.
Good to hear someone echo one's thoughts.

comfortstarr
re-cappin' neve

Post by comfortstarr » Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:13 pm

Johnna wrote:Yeah fuck em... fuck em all the MOTU-Mac pony tailed, TapeOp bashing, Steely Dan loving, over 40, computer nub geek losers.
Did I miss someone ?
Later ... much later

Yowza! I just read this thread... if the quotes from the motu-mac list are representative... um... what's the big deal? Those comments all seemed fair. And who cares what records Mr. Das worked on. He makes a living off him music, good for him. (Plus, he give excellent advice on the Metric Halo list, and for that I thank him).

And Johnna, um... what? I don't understand what you're resonding too. I know full well that the moment I turn 40--er, the day after--I'm going to morph into a lame-ass mofo, run down to Borders and buy every last Stelly Dan disc there. But until then, I'll enjoy sardonic, ironic, chain-yanking message boards. I've got two years left, I'm going to savor them.

P.S. the comment about tape-op making the guy's head hurt reminded me... Did anyone ever see that magazine Raygun (I think it was called that). It absolutely pushed print layout to the extremes. I think they did one article in Zapf Dingbat. You were supposed to scan it into your computer, then change the font to read it. Now that makes your dern head hurt!