TL-Audio M-3 Mixer.

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
rucchi166
pluggin' in mics

TL-Audio M-3 Mixer.

Post by rucchi166 » Sun Jan 30, 2005 2:44 pm

has anyone else seen this? it looks interesting...i think it retails for under four grande...might be good for mixing out of the box. plus you get 8 tube pres...

http://www.tlaudio.co.uk/tlaudio/docs/products/m3.shtml

jtotheg
alignin' 24-trk

Re: TL-Audio M-3 Mixer.

Post by jtotheg » Sun Jan 30, 2005 3:06 pm

Dunno, I'd love to hear about it though...

I'm eyeballing it too, as a replacement to my 20 channel console.
Still kinda pricey but hmmm....

I just want something to track to my 8 track (1") tape machine with, maybe mixback with as well.

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Sun Jan 30, 2005 4:30 pm

All the old TL audio gear was hybrid. No idea what is happpening now, but I would inspect the circuit topology before you go and get excited about a tube mic pre. all their old "tube mic pre's" used an IC opamp for gain with a tube in for color...

dave
http://www.glideonfade.com
one hundred percent discrete transistor recording with style and care.

JohnDavisNYC

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Sun Jan 30, 2005 4:35 pm

used one in berlin last year... sounded ok. 'tubey' just used it as a synth submixer, so didn't get to hear it on any 'real' instruments... i think, however, that it is actual tube pres, not an IC with a 'warmth' knob... not sure, tho...

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

jtotheg
alignin' 24-trk

Post by jtotheg » Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:02 pm

Hmmm, yeah I read somewhere that the EQ was not spectacular, but that it was a good sounding board overall...

I'd like something small, ANALOG, warm sounding with sweepable or really funky EQ.
All I need are 8-10 channels, gimme direct outs so I can track to Tape & we got a mixer for me.

Considering the price of that M-3, I might have to settle for a older used sidecar or modular setup.
For the just under 4K they want, I can score a decent older console...
Thing is I wanna get away from a big console, no more room !!!

vatoben
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by vatoben » Sun Jan 30, 2005 8:53 pm

i've had one for about a year now. i know the price jumped considerably since i got mine. i'm really happy with it. it's definitely not transparent. i love it for drums or anything that needs good "grain". the eq's are cool. i've found that it doesn't take much knob twisting to get alot out of the eqs. i've used it with my tsr-8 and got some huge sounds. the dullness of the tsr-8's dolby was balanced out by the punchy m3. lately my drums stay plugged into it and into a apogee ad-16x from there. i've been messing around with how hard i can drive the pre's lately. i can't think of any complaints other than when i got it the cheap particleboard case was falling apart. now it lives in my rack. the board itself is rock solid. they just skimped on the "wood" case.

neve1073
audio school graduate

Post by neve1073 » Mon Jan 31, 2005 1:50 am

I hate to come off all negative with my second post here, but I don't like the tl audio valve compressor I own. In fact, I literally have not used it for about seven years. It just really doesn't sound that good to me. The hype around its tubeiness is just hype. It does add "color" but not one I like. Having said that, I should add that I have v76 and neve pres and I'm holding the tla pre to those standards. As a compressor it is OK.

I haven't used or heard their board and I have no idea whether or not they have the same pre that is in the tla compressor that I have experience with. I have heard some (unflattering) descriptions of the TLA board over at gearsluts.com. You can go there and search for it.

I should also add that I tried to ressurect my tla unit a few months ago and found it not working. I emailed them directly, more than once, about where to service it (so I can sell it, but I didn't mention that) and they never even replied.

If I were looking for something new I would definitely check out the chandler rack. I am VERY impressed with the tg2--which really does stand up, in its own way, to the classics IMO.

analogcat
alignin' 24-trk

Post by analogcat » Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:15 am

I like the Classic TL Audio stuff, but then what do I know.

I got the EQ-1, the C-1 and the PA-1, all of it is smooth - the compressor has very little color as far as I can tell, the PA-1 has plenty of tube color.

of course I'd trade it all for a massive passive, LA-2A and 2-610

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:04 am

i reviewed it in TO awhile back. it's cool. it definitely has some character. i dunno if i'd spend 4 grand on one though...

New Orleans Steve
takin' a dinner break

Post by New Orleans Steve » Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:23 am

soundguy wrote:All the old TL audio gear was hybrid. No idea what is happpening now, but I would inspect the circuit topology before you go and get excited about a tube mic pre. all their old "tube mic pre's" used an IC opamp for gain with a tube in for color...

NO! NOT all of there gear is hybrid. They have been through several incarnations. They started out as Neve canabals / rack jobers. Then did some real high voltage transformer stuff. Around 1997 or '98 they started with more 'entry level' stuff.
This product is probably along the lines of there hybred stuff, but some of there early units are great. They just changed at some point. Now bbh is there distributer for some lines, rebadged under there name.

Steve
www.frenchmenstreetrecords.com

neve1073
audio school graduate

Post by neve1073 » Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:56 pm

New Orleans Steve wrote:
soundguy wrote:All the old TL audio gear was hybrid. No idea what is happpening now, but I would inspect the circuit topology before you go and get excited about a tube mic pre. all their old "tube mic pre's" used an IC opamp for gain with a tube in for color...

NO! NOT all of there gear is hybrid. They have been through several incarnations. They started out as Neve canabals / rack jobers. Then did some real high voltage transformer stuff. Around 1997 or '98 they started with more 'entry level' stuff.
This product is probably along the lines of there hybred stuff, but some of there early units are great. They just changed at some point. Now bbh is there distributer for some lines, rebadged under there name.

Steve
www.frenchmenstreetrecords.com
I bought the valve compressor which I was describing above in about 1993 or 1994, fwiw.

jtotheg
alignin' 24-trk

Post by jtotheg » Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:19 pm

Oh man, them Chandler Limited MiniTG mixers sure seem cool.

http://www.chandlerlimited.com/products ... kmixer.php

But damn, around $5k ???

Is there anything 'affordable' (under $2k) that is analog, sounds good, great EQ.. Etc...
8 channels w/ a 2 buss would be fine.

I'm guessing I'm go with something used.
The "new" modular gear is just outta my price range!
But would be nice to have!

I'm looking foir tracking/mixing mixer for my 8-track.

Oh yeah, faders would be nice too!

neve1073
audio school graduate

Post by neve1073 » Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:43 pm

jtotheg wrote:Oh man, them Chandler Limited MiniTG mixers sure seem cool.

http://www.chandlerlimited.com/products ... kmixer.php

But damn, around $5k ???

Is there anything 'affordable' (under $2k) that is analog, sounds good, great EQ.. Etc...
8 channels w/ a 2 buss would be fine.

I'm guessing I'm go with something used.
The "new" modular gear is just outta my price range!
But would be nice to have!

I'm looking foir tracking/mixing mixer for my 8-track.

Oh yeah, faders would be nice too!

Probably stick with soundcraft or midas boards in that used price range.

jtotheg
alignin' 24-trk

Post by jtotheg » Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:48 pm

neve1073 wrote: Probably stick with soundcraft or midas boards in that used price range.
Yeah - I heard that.
Which one sounds better? Soundcraft or the Midas?

soundguy

Post by soundguy » Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:32 pm

neve1073 wrote: I bought the valve compressor which I was describing above in about 1993 or 1994, fwiw.
I had a C1 that I got in 93 or so and had the exact same reaction to it. It sorta was like a trident compressor but with a tube for color slowing it down even more. Horrible piece of gear for the ridiculous price they charged for them back then. Good box for maybe $250, but not ten times that.

dave
http://www.glideonfade.com
one hundred percent discrete transistor recording with style and care.