250 or so to spend...what should i get?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
gregfranklin
audio school

250 or so to spend...what should i get?

Post by gregfranklin » Sun Jan 30, 2005 4:21 pm

Demo'ing a record with a friend right now. We're both working on Mboxes, he on a PC, and me on a Mac G4 dual 800 mhz machine. I've got a great house for recording in, lots of hardwood floors and high ceilings. We've got an SM57 and a Sennheiser e602 right now. I'm debating getting another SM57 (for myself), the MXL 990, and either some of the MXL condensors (for drum overheads/room sounds) or some sort of other overhead mic for drum tracking and occasional random vocal/guitar stuff. Any recommendations? I've got about 250 to spend at present, possibly 300 if need be.

Also, looking for recommendations for good monitor/mixing headphones.

Thanks so much!

Greg

Huntlabs
pushin' record

Re: 250 or so to spend...what should i get?

Post by Huntlabs » Sun Jan 30, 2005 4:44 pm

I know that Rode gets pooped on regularly here, sometimes for good reason but...

How about a Rode NT2. It's my favorite vocal mic for the crap I record. Male singer poppy, rocky, surfy, blues stuff....

Can be had on Ebay for not too much.

$.02
"Add water, makes its own sauce"

www.CRACKERTONES.com

8th_note
buyin' gear

Post by 8th_note » Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:15 pm

This is going to sound like I work for Audio-Technica but I've just had really good results with their mics. I also have a couple other recommendations.

For $250 you can add several decent mics to your collection. Here's a few that I use often.

AT MB2k - I have the previous model, the MB2000, but they appear to be virtually identical except for cosmetics. This mic has a hot high-end and works great for certain applications. I double mic the snare and use this mic for the bottom. I also double mic guitar cabs and use this plus the mic below. It's going to sound very different than everything else you have. About $50.00.

AT ATM29HE - I use this on guitar cabs and like it better than my 57 for this purpose. These are on ebay now for $50.00.

AT MB4k - This is what I use for overheads most of the time. About $100. Also works fine for vocals.

MXL 2001 - It's got a hot top end (some say harsh) but you can always EQ it down a little during mixing. Anyway, decent sound for pretty cheap.

Oktava 319 - If you're going to get one LD condenser right now, I would recommend the Oktava over the MXL. It's a little smoother sounding. I think the fiend has these now for $70.

You didn't ask about mic preamps but I couldn't help but recommend a cheapo decent preamp that is being closed out. The old model Presonus BlueTube is going for $100 on MF. I've got two of these and they sound considerably better than the mic preamps on my Mackie mixer. My guess is that it will be an improvement over the pres in the Mbox.

My favorite monitoring/mixing headphones are also AT, the ATHM30. I found mine for $40. They are $60 on MF but if you hunt around you can do better than that.

Happy bargain hunting....

Zoltar
gettin' sounds

Post by Zoltar » Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:34 pm

I would get a couple Octava 012 mics to use as a stereo pair, and they make good cabinet mics. I've had a pair for years, and they gets used all the time.

KFT
pushin' record

Post by KFT » Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:12 am

I second the Oktava's and I would pick up an MXL v67. You should be able to get all three for 300 bones and this would give you:

SM57 - snare, guitar cabinet, etc
E602 - kick and bass amp
MC012 - overheads, acoustic guitar
MXL V67 - vocals

Just a thought......

midiot
pushin' record

Post by midiot » Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:46 am

How about an sm58
boom-ptch-boom

Chris_Meck
pushin' record

Post by Chris_Meck » Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:52 am

I'll second the MXL 603's. These sound really nice for drum OH's, and acoustic guitars. I've got access to more expensive mics and still use these by choice a lot of the time.

Also, the MXLV67, which is pretty good for less than $100.

This gives you a lot of flexibility for not much $$.

Chris
greetings from Flyover Country...

gregfranklin
audio school

Post by gregfranklin » Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:33 am

thanks for all the suggestions, people. i really appreciate all the input. i'm hopefully purchasing some stuff this week, so i'll research these things more. if you think of any more, keep 'em coming.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:35 am

if you don't know what you need why would you get anything at all ?

Its like going out and buying 300$ worth of food you have never tried before that you may or may not like..thats just one way to look at it..of course there are a million things that you can spend your money on that will be neat or OK and maybe even GREAT for $300..its a 100% subjective decision that only YOU can answer..I suggest if you dont URGENTLY and obviously need something right away it may benefit you to put that money in a "gear fund" and add to it over time..before you know it you can buy a thousand $ + classic mic and that will surely prove more valuable in the long run, i.e., it will hold its value on the used market and sound great and or familiar..this is another way of looking at your situation..

think about your personal recording needs and meditate on them for a while..come up with ways you think your demos are falling short and then use the MB to come up with creative solutions.."best for under X$" questions dont really help that much at all..

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:38 am

that is some wise shit right there.

bad_dude_69
re-cappin' neve

Post by bad_dude_69 » Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:44 pm

he's either channeling joel hammilton or just being plain reasonable.
medicate? oh, i thought you said "meditate."

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:52 pm

well I am getting into the spiritual side of recording more and more..

bad_dude_69
re-cappin' neve

Post by bad_dude_69 » Mon Jan 31, 2005 1:16 pm

ohmmmmmm.
medicate? oh, i thought you said "meditate."

gregfranklin
audio school

Post by gregfranklin » Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:37 pm

i equate it to painting and trying out brushes. if you don't know enough of what you really want, you have to start somewhere. you accumulate more brushes and techniques over time and with more experience, but you have to start somewhere.

i think the food comment is appropriate, but food is a bit more subjective (unfortunately, i haven't found a filter aside from my hands that will take pickles off of my hamburger). i've also had a bunch of suggestions from various friends who are either engineers or do it a lot at home, and they know what i'm going for; i just thought i would use this forum to get some more opinions for a home demo'd record. it's nice to know what is affordable for that price range for all purposes, rather than saving up a bunch of money for a one trick pony boutique mic that is great for one aspect, and falls flat in other aspects.

just looking to add some brushes and get more familiar with things, and i don't look at 300 bucks at TOO much money to spend on things that I'll use and learn from.
BEARD_OF_BEES wrote:if you don't know what you need why would you get anything at all ?

Its like going out and buying 300$ worth of food you have never tried before that you may or may not like..thats just one way to look at it..of course there are a million things that you can spend your money on that will be neat or OK and maybe even GREAT for $300..its a 100% subjective decision that only YOU can answer..I suggest if you dont URGENTLY and obviously need something right away it may benefit you to put that money in a "gear fund" and add to it over time..before you know it you can buy a thousand $ + classic mic and that will surely prove more valuable in the long run, i.e., it will hold its value on the used market and sound great and or familiar..this is another way of looking at your situation..

think about your personal recording needs and meditate on them for a while..come up with ways you think your demos are falling short and then use the MB to come up with creative solutions.."best for under X$" questions dont really help that much at all..

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:47 pm

gregfranklin wrote:i equate it to painting and trying out brushes. if you don't know enough of what you really want, you have to start somewhere. you accumulate more brushes and techniques over time and with more experience, but you have to start somewhere.

i think the food comment is appropriate, but food is a bit more subjective (unfortunately, i haven't found a filter aside from my hands that will take pickles off of my hamburger). i've also had a bunch of suggestions from various friends who are either engineers or do it a lot at home, and they know what i'm going for; i just thought i would use this forum to get some more opinions for a home demo'd record. it's nice to know what is affordable for that price range for all purposes, rather than saving up a bunch of money for a one trick pony boutique mic that is great for one aspect, and falls flat in other aspects.

just looking to add some brushes and get more familiar with things, and i don't look at 300 bucks at TOO much money to spend on things that I'll use and learn from.
Well that is my opinion..I'm just trying to be helpful..
I dont think every "expensive mic is a one trick pony that falls flat in other aspects"..certainly there are ones that can be looked upon as such..but even then its a matter taste really..I guess I wont go into more of why I think more expensive gear is worth it since you dont want to hear that..but in my humble experience it has 99.9% of the time proved to be worth it to save for better tools if possible..

I guess I will recommend the Shure ksm27..i have a couple..they fall in your budget..they work on anything..I like them a lot..like the sm57 of LDC's..great mic and increadably well built..transformerless, smile eq curve..etc..