Roland SDE Digital Delays

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
AstroDan
george martin

Roland SDE Digital Delays

Post by AstroDan » Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:48 pm

...are awesome. I just bought an early 80's SDE-1000 at an old stuff shop and it's funner than playing laser tag. I'm not sure what "SDE" stands for, for it's not stereo.

Just letting you guys know so the price will go up on ebay and I'll be rich when I sell mine.
"I have always tried to present myself as the type of person who enjoys watching dudes fight other dudes with iron claws."

Milkmansound
george martin

Re: Roland SDE Digital Delays

Post by Milkmansound » Sun Jan 30, 2005 8:14 pm

Those old Roland boxes are great. Roland is one of those companies who made great stuff in the 80's, and then completely dropped the ball. I think their new stuff stinks - but these are the people whose stuff pretty much defines the classic electronic music sound.

And the good news is that the old obscure stuff can be had for cheap. I can not say enough good things about the SRV-2000.
(((((((((((((((((((((((((())))))))))))))))))))))))))))
www.pedalsteelamp.com
www.milkmansound.com
Follow me on Facebook!

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sun Jan 30, 2005 8:18 pm

I use our SDE 3000 delay once in a while. It sounds nice and gleamy. It sounds like britney spears's's teeth...

I use the effectron way more, or the electrix MoFx for delay. Both can be had for cheaper than the SDE 3000. I have a few nice tape delays as well, so I am lucky there...

Meriphew
deaf.

Post by Meriphew » Sun Jan 30, 2005 8:45 pm

I have two SDE 1000's that I use for my guitar delays. The older one (earlier serial number) has a much nicer sound overall for some reason. There's nothing wrong with the other one, but it would seem like they would both sound the same unless they used different chips for the later versions or something like that.

jspartz
buyin' gear

Post by jspartz » Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:25 am

I have an SDE-1000 and think it is great. It does not get used on everything but when needed it works well.

Jason

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:32 am

Not to hijack, but did any of you guys ever figure out what voltage lithium battery should go in the DeltaLab Super Time Line? Mine's still open on the workbench, awaiting inspiration!

AstroDan, that new avatar is more like the late 70's Brian than the mid-60's one you used to have... :D

Meriphew
deaf.

Post by Meriphew » Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:17 am

inverseroom wrote:Not to hijack, but did any of you guys ever figure out what voltage lithium battery should go in the DeltaLab Super Time Line?
On the topic of batteries for DDL's:

http://www.musicplayer.com/cgi-bin/ulti ... 1;t=022906

New Orleans Steve
takin' a dinner break

Post by New Orleans Steve » Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:29 am

To me the efectron stuff has always been garbage. On the other hand the SDE delays are rather classy. I really like these. Back in the day, these were rivals of the lexicon PCM 41s not efectron.

Steve
www.frenchmenstreetrecords.com

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:28 am

I'll go out on a very thin shaky limb and say that I've never heard a delay I didn't like, no matter how crappy. If the idea is that you make a sound and after a moment it comes back to you, sounding somewhat different, then all of them succeed, each with its own flavor, pristine, warm, junky, what have you. As opposed to say a chorus or OD where the particular characteristics of the sound ARE the sound--a delay is a modified reflection of a sound, and it's in the contrast where the character lies.

Thanks for the link, Meriphew--I may just try any old 3V lithium battery and see if it works. I don't really need the memories, to be honest, but I like to have fully working gear... I do wish DeltaLab had used batteries that were actually marked!

GLEA
pushin' record

Post by GLEA » Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:41 am

New Orleans Steve wrote:To me the efectron stuff has always been garbage. On the other hand the SDE delays are rather classy. I really like these. Back in the day, these were rivals of the lexicon PCM 41s not efectron.

Steve
www.frenchmenstreetrecords.com
I've got both, a pair of SDE1000's ( and a 3000 that is in repair pipe line at the moment) plus two different Deltalabs 1024 and a fancy one called a DL-4. The latter has mod wave shape which makes for some pretty nasty sound. I use the 1024 all the time. One the right sound it's unbeatible. I also have Space echoes and a reel deck I use... What's the Digitech one? It's pretty good too. I probably use way more delays than reverbs...
the country that rules magnetism, rules the world
http://www.donovans-brain.com