dbx 119

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
midiot
pushin' record

dbx 119

Post by midiot » Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:00 am

Anyone familiar with dbx 119's? We have one sitting around not being used, but have a couple of dbx 160's in use. Just wondering, at the moment, how they compare.

The obvious answer is hook up the 119 and try it out, blah blah blah. But at the moment, i can't, and really am just curious about what others who have used them, think.
boom-ptch-boom

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Re: dbx 119

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:12 pm

-10 unbalanced, but you know that.

For my money, they're in the same basic sonic family as the 160/161. (Anyone who snobs me on this can f*off - I've used both.)

A bit noisy and can be fussy, but I love them sometimes on all sorts of things. I like mine, you might very well like yours.

So hook it up and try it. (If you have a balanced/unbalance/balanced dealie use it - it will make it act a lot more appropriately.)
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

t morgan
audio school

Post by t morgan » Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:27 pm

The DBX 119 is great. Sounds so cool smashing drums or as a buss mix...I got one a couple of years ago and still use it on most sessions.
It is noisey, but so is rock-n-roll.

New Orleans Steve
takin' a dinner break

Post by New Orleans Steve » Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:14 pm

WOW I have seen a lot of dicussion on this one lately. It must be the new hip thing.
I have one I got at a garage sale years ago. i tried it and it has sat sence. i mean I found NO use for this thing. I don't have VU 160s but use 166 and the 166A regulary..I just have No use for this thing. my 163x is so much better that the 116. Dito for the 119. The org. 163 is not to good either.
Only my expearence - YRMV.
Steve
www.frenchmenstreetrecords.com