Pluggo Plugs

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
earth tones
steve albini likes it

Pluggo Plugs

Post by earth tones » Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:00 pm

I am running some Pluggo Plugs as RTAS plugs in Pro Tools, using Pluggo runtime fo OS X. There are multiple pluggo plugs, generated by different Pluggo and MAX/MSP users. Each pluggo file is stored in Library?Audio?Plug-Ins?VST?Pluggo The question I have is how can you go about changing the names of these plug-in's so that the name change shows up in the RTAS plug-in drop-down list in Pro Tools. I have changed the name of these files, in the directory listed above, and the name change shows up on the top of the actual plug-in box when it opens. But, the plug-in list still shows the original name. Some of the plugs load with odd names, that are not easily identified by people who haven't used them, or those who have. So I would like to rename them, in order to better organize the plug-in drop down menu and to better identify with each plug-ins actual purpose.

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Re: Pluggo Plugs

Post by eeldip » Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:18 pm

hang on, i'll get an answer to this.

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:35 pm

well the word over at cycling74 (where i work) is that there is no easy way to do it. you would have to hack into each plugin and modify the code.

so the short answer is no.

btw
we used to have this app called "pluggo manager" which allows people to quickly switch on and off plugins. sort of helps deal with the 200 plug in issue. keep an eye out on our website because its being tossed around right now in beta again...

earth tones
steve albini likes it

Post by earth tones » Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:45 pm

Thank you for checking that out.

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:46 pm

if you want to hack them, here is where to start:

plugconfigscript

whatever that means.. i dunno...

earth tones
steve albini likes it

Post by earth tones » Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:53 pm

Hmmm....if that is script to be run in terminal, I really haven't gone there.

Since you work for Cycling:
I have never been into programming, had an understanding of languages/code, etc... I have managed to make my way through a MAX/MSP demo, using all of the helper files that are supplied and pretty good knowledge of signal flow in general. Would it be a waste, or rather, would I not be able to utilize MAX/MSP to it's full potential without programming chops. I know that one o the ideas of the program is to utilize symbols for lines of code, so that excessive programming is not needed. Thank you for any insight, once again. Brian

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:03 pm

first of all, ignore what i said above about the pluggo script. you cant get into that from the files you get with pluggo... its all buried at the user end.

well regarding Max/MSP.. it just depends on your needs. you can do all sorts of useful things just by using other people's patches and modifying them. you dont need to be able to do anything fancy from scratch.

also max is pretty useful when you want to do something really damn simple (no fancy chops required)... stuff like quickly generating a sine wave at a certain frequency can be pretty hard sometimes in pro tools and logic, but it takes a second in Max/MSP.

but yea, to say, build your own synths from scratch.. it might just take too long for it to be fun if you are not the kinda person who has fun programming. (although Max/MSP is pretty easy and quick as far as programming languages go)

Zoltar
gettin' sounds

Post by Zoltar » Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:04 pm

Funny, just today I was messing around with this myself. What I eventually did was just add a "z-" to the begining of the head pluggo plugin in the dae plug in folder, and that moved all the pluggo plugins to the end of the list, out of the way of the others.

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:10 pm

does anyone else out there think that a renaming application would be cool... i could see if it would be easy to include in the new plug-in manager...????

earth tones
steve albini likes it

Post by earth tones » Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:16 pm

This is odd that it was said that adding a z to the filenames shifted them further on the plug-in's list. So you renaming of the files was recognized and exhibited in the RTAS drop down menu?? I renamed the files, but nothing!!! I will go try this letter adding just to see.

earth tones
steve albini likes it

Post by earth tones » Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:19 pm

You were talking about adding z to the Pluggo file in the Pro Tools plugins folder. Sorry, I was thinking the pluggo folder in the Library?Audio?Plug-ins folder.

earth tones
steve albini likes it

Post by earth tones » Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:25 pm

Can't get it to work by adding z to either filetypes. Yes, this would be a nice feature of the plug-in manager. It is not really the biggest deal, but would be a nice addition. More of a convenience feature.

Zoltar
gettin' sounds

Post by Zoltar » Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:43 pm

I'm using Protools 5.2.1, I don't know if it is something they changed with later versions? What I would like with all those pluggos is to be able to sort them into sub folders, you know?

but anyhow, in the plugin pulldown menu, they come up in alphabetical order of the file names, not the plug in names. all the pluggos show up where the pluggo plugin fits in the dae folder.