Microphones used on Zeppelin songs

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Zeppelin4Life
re-cappin' neve
Posts: 673
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2004 2:29 pm
Location: Purdue University

Re: Microphones used on Zeppelin songs

Post by Zeppelin4Life » Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:58 pm

lobstman wrote:
MoreSpaceEcho wrote:
SKEETER wrote: I don't know who "eddie" is
that would be, um, eddie kramer.

unless this has morphed into an iron maiden thread.
Ok, good, 'cause I was wondering how I'd never heard about Eddie Van Halen recording Led Zeppelin.

PS- Zeppelin4Life: you are aware that there have been other bands in the history of rock music, yes? Some of them were even quite good, you may want to check them out sometime.

Actually I dont recall of any..how bout you come to my place sometime and show me?







*click*
















:ar15:
:ar15:

:ar15:

:ar15:

:ar15:

:ar15:
Last edited by Zeppelin4Life on Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
?I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.?
David L
KC2UUM
RadioReference.com Admin, Albany NY

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory
Posts: 2908
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2004 12:34 am
Location: London, England
Contact:

Re: Microphones used on Zeppelin songs

Post by Rigsby » Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:00 pm

Aren't you a little young to be soliciting on the internet? :wink:
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

Zeppelin4Life
re-cappin' neve
Posts: 673
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2004 2:29 pm
Location: Purdue University

Re: Microphones used on Zeppelin songs

Post by Zeppelin4Life » Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:01 pm

Rigsby wrote:Aren't you a little young to be soliciting on the internet? :wink:
yeah, but start early..it's worked for recording, anyway.
?I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.?
David L
KC2UUM
RadioReference.com Admin, Albany NY

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten
Posts: 2037
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:22 am
Location: Ramah, New Mexico

Re: Microphones used on Zeppelin songs

Post by KennyLusk » Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:02 pm

I haven't heard any either.

There are other rock bands out there?

I don't believe you.

SKEETER
steve albini likes it
Posts: 385
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 5:11 pm
Location: western hemisphere
Contact:

Re: Microphones used on Zeppelin songs

Post by SKEETER » Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:05 pm

SKEETER wrote:


PS- Zeppelin4Life: you are aware that there have been other bands in the histroy of rock music, yes? Some of them were even quite good, you may want to check them out sometime.



Actually, I don't think it was me that wrote that.




I always have listened to about anything that is creative. In the rock era I listened to stuff like Nilsson Shmilsson, Madman Across the Water, Zeplin, CCR, Grand Funk., Floyd, Cat Stevens. ANYTHING as long as it was creative and had some good musicianship. I tended to find stuff that was obscure, for example there is a band called POTLIQUOR that is probably the most talented vocals of any band from the rock era, but most people have never heard of them. I tend to listen more to new age music now as far as newer stuff goes. I play some alternative stuff in the band I am in, some of it is ok, but the recording techniques used now are prety much all textbook and uninteresting.
I listen to PBS a lot too, some of the world music is interesting. Most of what is played on mainstream radio is pretty contrived sounding, although of late it does seem that the music industry has realized they need to get some more interesting stuff out there. If you want to hear the really good stuff, you pretty much have to hear about it word of mouth.
There is a band called CRACKER that one of the guys in the band I am in turned me on to, they are a pretty good band, nice recording techniques and good songwriting.

Zeppelin4Life
re-cappin' neve
Posts: 673
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2004 2:29 pm
Location: Purdue University

Re: Microphones used on Zeppelin songs

Post by Zeppelin4Life » Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:05 pm

no, i doubt it. I want to be the 90% teenage pop who like Good Charlotte and 50 Cent. I wanna watch American Idol, because making fun of crappy singers is so worth it. I want to sing about my n******. I wanna sho da world..whaaat..yeah, I like NYSNC and Brittney. I like Yellowcard, cuz OMG OMG they are like so MUSICAL! and Blink 182.., what a band! I want to be like Puff Daddy so I can take a musical legend and turn it into a sampler jitter malfunction! I want to sing about gettin wasted in the club! I want to be thoes kids who are ruining the music industry because they buy SHIT that is made with SHITTY talent and SHITTY production, with SHITTY passion for the music. You wonder what 'happened' to the industry? its because people dont understand REAL music. Yes, I want to be a kid who makes it hard to find a job as a musician because I like sampled crap. page worked like an engineer yet he was a killer guitar player..your lucky today if the engineer can even tell the difference between a major or minor chord....and you say because I have an obsession Zep that makes me bad?

:shock:


...and it's spelled 'Zeppelin'
?I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.?
David L
KC2UUM
RadioReference.com Admin, Albany NY

SKEETER
steve albini likes it
Posts: 385
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 5:11 pm
Location: western hemisphere
Contact:

Re: Microphones used on Zeppelin songs

Post by SKEETER » Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:25 pm

Zeppelin4Life
A little blunt, but, well said.
When I hear someone say "I am going to school to learn how to engineer music" I cringe.

SKEETER
steve albini likes it
Posts: 385
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 5:11 pm
Location: western hemisphere
Contact:

Re: Microphones used on Zeppelin songs

Post by SKEETER » Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:26 pm

P.S.
And, I spell it "zeplin" on purpose, to make OTHERS cringe.

Zeppelin4Life
re-cappin' neve
Posts: 673
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2004 2:29 pm
Location: Purdue University

Re: Microphones used on Zeppelin songs

Post by Zeppelin4Life » Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:26 pm

SKEETER wrote:Zeppelin4Life
A little blunt, but, well said.
When I hear someone say "I am going to school to learn how to engineer music" I cringe.
yes, me too. thats kindof a brick wall I imagine. *cue* 'we dont need no education...'
?I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.?
David L
KC2UUM
RadioReference.com Admin, Albany NY

User avatar
spectralgrey
gettin' sounds
Posts: 131
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 7:32 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Microphones used on Zeppelin songs

Post by spectralgrey » Wed Feb 02, 2005 4:55 pm

Zeppelin4Life wrote:no, i doubt it. I want to be the 90% teenage pop who like Good Charlotte and 50 Cent. I wanna watch American Idol, because making fun of crappy singers is so worth it. I want to sing about my n******. I wanna sho da world..whaaat..yeah, I like NYSNC and Brittney. I like Yellowcard, cuz OMG OMG they are like so MUSICAL! and Blink 182.., what a band! I want to be like Puff Daddy so I can take a musical legend and turn it into a sampler jitter malfunction! I want to sing about gettin wasted in the club! I want to be thoes kids who are ruining the music industry because they buy SHIT that is made with SHITTY talent and SHITTY production, with SHITTY passion for the music. You wonder what 'happened' to the industry? its because people dont understand REAL music. Yes, I want to be a kid who makes it hard to find a job as a musician because I like sampled crap. page worked like an engineer yet he was a killer guitar player..your lucky today if the engineer can even tell the difference between a major or minor chord....and you say because I have an obsession Zep that makes me bad?
I think having this kind of aversion to pop culture is just as bad as being under the spell of it. The fact is, the people making all that throwaway pop aren't trying to make a grand artistic statement, and the people listening to it aren't expecting one. They're just having fun. I admire that lack of pretension, even if I don't like a great deal of the music. I wouldn't say the pop stars are ruining the industry. They're entertaining people that crave entertainment. Crappy pop music has been a constant in the industry for as long as there has been an industry. The unfortunate fact is the majority of the public has never been, is not, and never will be interested in what we may consider real music. It's nothing new. As a recordist/musician you just have to get over it and make the best music you can. As a listener you just have to dig a little deeper in the musical world and don't get bummed out by what's on the radio. Don't waste your energy with all that negativity you just spilled out. It can only bring you down.

Zeppelin4life, I'm not trying to bring you down or insult you, so don't think otherwise. Overall what I'm trying to say is you have to learn to live with some of the bad shit rather than hurl insults and sarcasm at it. Keep an open mind. You'll be more constructive that way.

Anyway...how about those microphones on Zeppelin recordings?

User avatar
lobstman
buyin' gear
Posts: 548
Joined: Fri May 16, 2003 12:36 pm
Location: Earth C-137

Re: Microphones used on Zeppelin songs

Post by lobstman » Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:29 pm

Give it a rest, Zep.

Your username is "Zeppelin4Life", and you have two current threads relating to Page's New Yardbirds. I'm a dick for pointing out the obvious?

There's nothing wrong with Led Zeppelin. Hell, (Jesus Fucking Christ, I can't believe I'm going to say this) "when I was your age" I loved 'em too, bootlegs and all- but obsessing about a single band is gonna stunt your growth. Check out "Exile On Main Street" or "Live At Leeds". Listen to "Village Green Preservation Society" or "Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere". Nobody ever said you had to be a mindless consumer of pop pap, just broaden your horizons. Zeppelin made some great records, but they didn't make the ONLY great records.

Oh, and for the record, yes, I AM a dick.
Zeppelin4Life wrote:no, i doubt it. I want to be the 90% teenage pop who like Good Charlotte and 50 Cent. I wanna watch American Idol, because making fun of crappy singers is so worth it. I want to sing about my n******. I wanna sho da world..whaaat..yeah, I like NYSNC and Brittney. I like Yellowcard, cuz OMG OMG they are like so MUSICAL! and Blink 182.., what a band! I want to be like Puff Daddy so I can take a musical legend and turn it into a sampler jitter malfunction! I want to sing about gettin wasted in the club! I want to be thoes kids who are ruining the music industry because they buy SHIT that is made with SHITTY talent and SHITTY production, with SHITTY passion for the music. You wonder what 'happened' to the industry? its because people dont understand REAL music. Yes, I want to be a kid who makes it hard to find a job as a musician because I like sampled crap. page worked like an engineer yet he was a killer guitar player..your lucky today if the engineer can even tell the difference between a major or minor chord....and you say because I have an obsession Zep that makes me bad?
Seriously- print this out, and read it in 15 years. You'll laugh your ass off, in a good way.
Steve Albini used to like it

Zeppelin4Life
re-cappin' neve
Posts: 673
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2004 2:29 pm
Location: Purdue University

Re: Microphones used on Zeppelin songs

Post by Zeppelin4Life » Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:44 pm

hahaha that was fuckin great. I love web forums...this is my last post on this thread though, so feel free to destroy this thread..im kindof enjoying it :D

haha that post was genious. forget printing mine out in 15 years, you dont mind if i print your post out now and put it on my wall do you?
?I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.?
David L
KC2UUM
RadioReference.com Admin, Albany NY

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten
Posts: 2037
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:22 am
Location: Ramah, New Mexico

Re: Microphones used on Zeppelin songs

Post by KennyLusk » Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:06 pm

Don't listen to them Zeppie ol' boy!

They're evil tricksters sent by the dark side to seduce you and distract you.

Purveyors of falsehoods and untruths tasked with sucking out your soul to be parsed and consumed by others who would call themselves "Maker's of Universally Epic Rock Albums". No sir, they lie and deceive.

Led Zeppelin made records that are as important to musicians as anthing the Be*t*es ever did only 10 times more fun and insanely energetic.

Long live the Way, the Truth and The Light!!!!

For only in The Light shall you find The Road. :wink:

Zeppelin4Life
re-cappin' neve
Posts: 673
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2004 2:29 pm
Location: Purdue University

Re: Microphones used on Zeppelin songs

Post by Zeppelin4Life » Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:07 pm

ok, i lied..one more post




Image



:lol: :lol: ok im officially done
?I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.?
David L
KC2UUM
RadioReference.com Admin, Albany NY

OM15.2
suffering 'studio suck'
Posts: 436
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2004 3:45 pm
Location: tripping security alarms

Re: Microphones used on Zeppelin songs

Post by OM15.2 » Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:20 pm

sweet!

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests