Drum Mic kits

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Jeremy D. Acker
audio school graduate

Drum Mic kits

Post by Jeremy D. Acker » Sun Aug 10, 2003 10:32 pm

Hi. I need more mics to do live recordings, and I wanted to get some viewpoints on drum mic kits. Are there any decent 4-piece mic kits available for the snare and toms? I see cheap Samson and Audio Technica kits on e-bay, but i don't know what to do. I record onto a Fostex VF-160 in 16-bit. The bottom line is that I want to use less boom stands and smaller mics around the drum kit. Can anybody give me an informed opinion on drum mic kits?

Sincerely,

Jeremy Acker :?: [/img]

cgarges
zen recordist

Re: Drum Mic kits

Post by cgarges » Sun Aug 10, 2003 10:36 pm

I dig the Sennheiser MD504s and E604s for live drums. They're small, nearly indestructable, and have good pattern rejection and nice tone. For me, they function well on toms and snare drum. The 604s are a bit brighter.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Allcalm
pluggin' in mics

Post by Allcalm » Sun Aug 10, 2003 11:04 pm

I'll second the e604, they are quality mics good for toms and a hell of a lot better than a 57 on snare. The propaganda says that they are suppose to be 421's in a smaller case but they aren't. That doesn't mean that they are bad mics (far from it) but that they aren't 421's..3 pack for $300 is worth the money.. Also the audix pack is good too, more expensive but you get more, my only grudge is that it doesn't come witth a D6..
=Z

silversound
takin' a dinner break

Post by silversound » Mon Aug 11, 2003 1:37 am

e604 or c418
pssst! hey pssst! Want some free software man? I'll throw it in if you buy my hardware.