king records, NZ - lathe cut vinyl

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
lonesome_tone
takin' a dinner break

king records, NZ - lathe cut vinyl

Post by lonesome_tone » Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:34 am

has anyone ever had any records made by peter king in NZ?

he makes these ultra ultra low run (like as low as 10 or 20) record pressings by cutting them out of some kind of polycarbonate or some plastic stuff. he does all sizes, shapes, picture discs, and the default is clear vinyl!

i'm just wondering if anyone has any or has had any made - the only ones i know of are noisy NOISEY things like no neck blues band, i'm wondering how the sound quality is for something thats just more like straight up rock music. i've heard the tracking and quality can be a little funny.

Disasteradio
pushin' record

Re: king records, NZ - lathe cut vinyl

Post by Disasteradio » Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:57 am

there's another one? he's not the same as the guy I hear about from Geraldine?

ryangobie
steve albini likes it

Post by ryangobie » Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:40 am

mmm all i know of are noise acts doing them really...wolf eyes, hair police etc...i think i remember reading that their frequency response isn't super good either...i could be wrong though
weeeee

housepig
buyin' gear

Post by housepig » Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:56 am

if you go to Iheartnoise and check their forum, some of the guys there have first-hand experience working with King.
- housepig

Housepig Records
free mp3's

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:06 am

I didnt know people knew about no neck blues band..when I was a kid they used to play at the record store near my house a lot..I think they are from my town..

hey Junkstar do you remember those guys?

as for the vinyl just ask for a sample and see if you like his work..

rucchi166
pluggin' in mics

Post by rucchi166 » Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:34 am

i have a handful of lathe cuts made by peter king...a few of them are rock style i.e. purple ivy shadows, orange cake mix, boyracer and airiel...i would say they are more novelty than anything else. the low-end is kinda hollow sounding and the hi-end is sometimes grainy...the ones that sound the best are the ones that were actually mixed in mono...i also heard that he is VERY slow with turnaround time. some people have waited for over 8 months to get their records back. i can imagine cutting hundreds of records a day in real time on 4 lathes is painstaking...a definite labour of love...overall they seem to be a good alternative to actual pressing if you only want to do up a handful...and they look pretty cool ;)