Songwriting: To re-write or not to re-write.

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Ryan Silva
tinnitus

Songwriting: To re-write or not to re-write.

Post by Ryan Silva » Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:50 am

I have found varying different approaches to this question with friends and co-workers. Some like to re-work the song structure till there happy. Maybe they love that bridge so much that they are willing to spend day on adjusting the rest of the song to make it fit.

I prefer to move on when things get frustrating, there is only so much I can do to keep inspiration going.

So...
"Writing good songs is hard. recording is easy. "

MoreSpaceEcho

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Re: Songwriting: To re-write or not to re-write.

Post by Rigsby » Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:14 pm

If i get to the point where i'm not enjoying it anymore or it's not turning out well (actually enjoying is the wrong word, more if the piece is progressing or not), i'll get bored and start something else, if i come back to it then great, otherwise i'll have moved on to something more important to me in the here and now and that's just as great. Theres so much music to be made, i've made a hell of a lot and i'll make a hell of a lot more, so why worry about it?
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

Everybody's X
re-cappin' neve

Post by Everybody's X » Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:17 pm

well the old cliche about "whatever works for you" certainly applies.
I've labored for years over certain songs if I know I've got a hook but it needs something else, or a certain harmony occurs to me later on.
Then I've hammered out something in 5 minutes and it was fine. Whatever's right for the song and for you is the right way.
Dave Johnson
allcapsproductions.com

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:30 pm

Stuff like that can be worked out by a songwriter outside the studio on their own time.

let the songwriter work it out, present the new arrangement and see if everyone likes it. If not, move on to something else. If everyone likes "the bridge" so much it'll pop up in another song where it's better suited.

the really great stuff always comes back around if you don't use it anyway.

AdamO
audio school graduate

Post by AdamO » Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:36 pm

I would say rewrite that puppy until you enjoy it. Rewrite it everytime you play it. Capture a couple of them on tape and let us hear it.
Usually if a part isn't working its just because it is either too damn long, or it's not really part of that song and should be in some other thing. Most times it's just too long. In face usually if the song is bugging people it's because it's too long in general. You should be able to do anything at all as a bridge, it's the "non" part of the song. If people are noticing enough to comment about it then perhaps they have been sitting around listening to the whole thing a bit longer than they expected.
Look at the bridge of "Hello" by Lionel Richie. Probably one of the funniest bridges of all time, COMPLETELY out in space and sounds like a different session in some other studio... but it gets in and out quickly so voila, another top ten hit for Lionel.
-Adam
P.S. or not.
f**k live!
-C. Jennings, when asked "but how do I recreate this on stage?", on recording my last album.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:56 pm

Go away and come back to it later. Sometimes you hit the wall and can't do anything. When you go away and come back you'll have fresh ears, and you'll actually hear what song for what it is - not what you think it is or hope it will be.
Also, if you think of a bridge after the song is done record it and splice it in. I do this all the time. as long as you're in key and tempo it usually works.

wedge
tinnitus

Post by wedge » Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:03 pm

The best songs -- in my opinion -- are written quickly, with loads o'inspiration. If that inspiration fizzles and the song's not complete, I'd suggest marrying it with another similarly-inspired song-let, assuming of course that the style and tempo, etc. are a good match. I've used that technique a lot to great effect. Also, I've written songs to death, too, and that sucks. Trim, tail, refine -- sure -- but don't belabor the piss out of a song...

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:06 pm

Sometimes nice to record a quick demo/scratch version, listen a few times in your car or whatever, and then wait a week or two, then rerecord from memory (without even consulting any written lyrics)

Theory being that anything truly "sticky" will remain in your memory and all the useless extraneous matter will evaporate, leaving only the elements that really matter.

Has worked well for me in past. Probably best as a way to write catchy hooky pop material. Then, it's always fun to go back to the original to mine for more content as you work towards the final product.

David Bowie is a big believer in rewriting things ad nauseum until he feels they are done. I think it shows in his work.

nicksense15
gettin' sounds

Post by nicksense15 » Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:23 pm

I agree that most great songs are written quickly, but I still think its ok to massage the arrangment until its just right.

Nick

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:24 am

AdamO wrote:Look at the bridge of "Hello" by Lionel Richie. Probably one of the funniest bridges of all time, COMPLETELY out in space and sounds like a different session in some other studio... but it gets in and out quickly so voila, another top ten hit for Lionel.
-Adam
P.S. or not.
What's the bridge in Hello? I know the verses and choruses and the sax solo, what's the bridge like, i can't recall.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com