please help!mixing console Q's

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
blackArts
audio school graduate

please help!mixing console Q's

Post by blackArts » Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:48 pm

okay,let me just say im a little baby
to this recording world of ours.
i have a 16 channel 8 track analog soundtracs board.
ive been able to get sounds im happy with out of this board,BUT
1stQ.it has a left&right male that says right earth lift?what its function
2NDQ.2returns what do these do ,,how to use them
3RDQ.3 auxs
4th.what does the talkback do how to use
very beggginnerrrr stuff that i need help with
i have no problem tracking
or w/eqs just need to get into more advanced terrriiorrttttyyy.
:oops:
oh yeah and theres a button that says 1khz osc to subs
and when i press it buzz really loud
i have no speakers just headphones

SKEETER
steve albini likes it

Re: please help!mixing console Q's

Post by SKEETER » Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:03 pm

Didn't your board come with an owners manual? If it didn't, you likely can download one from the boards makers web site, I have done that numerous times.
"Aux" is probably aux sends. If so, you can send information from a specific channel to an external device , (lets say a reverb unit) and take the signal that comes out of the reverb unit back into a return, Sends and Returns are very much the same as an effects loop on a guitar amp. The only thing is, the send for each channel is adjustable, in other words if you ahve a guitar on channel one and a drum on channel two, you can turn the send up high on channel one and get a lot of reverb on the guitar, and turn the send down on two and get a little on the drum. The returns just get the signal from the effects back into the sound realm.
More info: lets say you have an output called SEND 1. Every channel should have a level adjustment that will adjust how much of the signal from that specific channel goes to the SEND 1 output. That way, you can have sound from multiple channels all going to that send, which then takes the signal to an external device.

NeglectedFred
pushin' record

Post by NeglectedFred » Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:22 pm

The ground lift eliminates ground loops (the annoying 60Hz hum you get when there's a ground loops) Only use it is you have the hum, otherwise you're ungrounded.

Sends allow you to... you guessed it, send, the signal to another... whatever you might need to send it to.. (like reverb), returns are where you return the output signal from the unit which you are sending to.. I know, it seems confusing at first, but once you use it, it becomes second-nature right away.

The talk-back either has a mic built in, or allows you to plug in a mic.. You can usually assign where the talk-back will broadcast (subs or phones, etc), this way you can talk to the people tracking.

I'm assuming the 1Kz to Subs is a test feature.. Not sure, though.
I eat glue.

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:16 pm

2NDQ.2returns what do these do ,,how to use them
they're just more inputs without all the options. traditionally used to 'return' the effected signals back to the board.

sends to the effects, returns from the effects. I think most people I've talked to use regular channels to bring the effects back though - that way you can EQ them and send them back out to other stuff. I do anyway and it's much more fun.