Seymour Duncan Antiquity Pickups?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Greenlander
steve albini likes it

Seymour Duncan Antiquity Pickups?

Post by Greenlander » Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:40 pm

So, I'm on the lookout for a Jazzmaster and I found an interesting one on ebay. It's been modified, which is usually a no-no with me, but I'm a left-hander, so my Jazzmaster options are definitely limited.

Seems nice, although I was intrigued to read he's installed Seymour Duncan antiquity pickups. I didn't even know they existed. Is anybody familiar with those? Or even Seymour Duncan pickups in general, I have no experience of them

Peace.
My setup: brain into muscles into hands into fingers into guitar into cable into pedal into cable into amp into air into mic into cable into box no 1 into cable into box no2

Electro-Voice 664
re-cappin' neve

Re: Seymour Duncan Antiquity Pickups?

Post by Electro-Voice 664 » Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:44 pm

They are good pickups. I played a 70s jazzmaster with 'em and it sounded great through a '68 twin.
"Play ethnicky jazz to parade your snazz. On your five grand stereo."

kronosonic
takin' a dinner break

Post by kronosonic » Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:57 pm

Yeah, SD pickups (in general) are a bonus in my opinion.
http://myspace.com/infiniteegosavioronasis

A personal friend of the legendary Jean Pecan Hoe

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:26 pm

The Antiquity pickups are really nice. I played the single coil sized Lil' 59er for a few years. That pickup is a brother to the Antiquity series and it was and excellent pickup that can sparkle clean and really spank it up big and meaty when you push it that way. My Tele sounded a lot like LP Double cutaway with P90's, no shit.

Duncan is not the end-all to great pickups by any means but I give them madd prop's for the Antiquity line.

Greenlander
steve albini likes it

Post by Greenlander » Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:56 am

KennyLusk wrote:The Antiquity pickups are really nice. I played the single coil sized Lil' 59er for a few years. That pickup is a brother to the Antiquity series and it was and excellent pickup that can sparkle clean and really spank it up big and meaty when you push it that way. My Tele sounded a lot like LP Double cutaway with P90's, no shit.

Duncan is not the end-all to great pickups by any means but I give them madd prop's for the Antiquity line.
Thanks for the replies. I guess the responses have been positive. My main worry is that it ends up sounding like something other than a Jazzmaster and I don't know if your reply should concern me KennyLusk. Probably not, I guess the whole idea behond the antiquity range is to reproduce the original sound.
My setup: brain into muscles into hands into fingers into guitar into cable into pedal into cable into amp into air into mic into cable into box no 1 into cable into box no2

chetatkinsdiet
buyin' a studio

Post by chetatkinsdiet » Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:38 am

SD antiquity pickups are modeled after the vintage versions of the pickup it's replacing. Jazz Antiquity pickups will probably sound like an early 60s Jazz bass, Strat like a 50s, etc.
They're great. If this is a run of the mill jazz bass and not a vintage, then it's a total upgrade.
later,
m
The only true great mic on this planet is the Shure SM-57. It is the most consistant in not totally sucking of anything ever built. All other mics are "application dependant".

-- Fletcher

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:39 am

chetatkinsdiet wrote:SD antiquity pickups are modeled after the vintage versions of the pickup it's replacing. Jazz Antiquity pickups will probably sound like an early 60s Jazz bass, Strat like a 50s, etc.
They're great. If this is a run of the mill jazz bass and not a vintage, then it's a total upgrade.
later,
m
Exactly. That's why I made sure to qualify my impressions by saying the pickup I was using was the Lil' 59er, which is modeled after the original Seth Lover PAF (1959). I got the exact effect and tone I was looking for, plus I was able to enhance my tonal options by installing a coil tap switch for when I wanted to return to that Tele twang (irrelevant but cool).

My intention was to verify Duncan's accuracy and quality. The Antiquity Jazzmaster's I'm sure are spot on for reproducing authentic Jazzmaster tone for you.

Lee Knight
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Lee Knight » Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:49 am

I put a pair of Antiquity Jazz Bass pickups in my J-Bass and they are the light and the way! I know you're not asking about bass pickups but I'd thought I'd pass on my good experience with that line.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:12 am

KennyLusk wrote:The Antiquity pickups are really nice. I played the single coil sized Lil' 59er for a few years. That pickup is a brother to the Antiquity series and it was and excellent pickup that can sparkle clean and really spank it up big and meaty when you push it that way. My Tele sounded a lot like LP Double cutaway with P90's, no shit.

I put the same pickup in the middle position of my Nashville Tele...and presto, I now can get that guitar sounding just like an old SG w/ p90's I used to have.