Pacific Pro Ribbon deal by versuviusx please read!

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
earl parameter
buyin' gear

Re: Pacific Pro Ribbon deal by versuviusx please read!

Post by earl parameter » Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:19 pm

i wasn't implying you would run, just that that was what most people seemed to be worried about.

and you didn't say if you had made a decision or not.

versuviusx
re-cappin' neve

Post by versuviusx » Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:21 pm

what is the decision that is in question?

earl parameter
buyin' gear

Post by earl parameter » Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:24 pm

are letting this go or do we send you some money

earl parameter
buyin' gear

Post by earl parameter » Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:26 pm

there should be a ( you ) in there somewhere

versuviusx
re-cappin' neve

Post by versuviusx » Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:27 pm

we will see what will happen.
like i said i really don't like stepping on toes but i would like to do the deal. i think it's great experience, i think it would be fun, and it would be fun to make a little piece on the side for putting it together. i have the same motivations as garth. so we could take a poll if it were necessary but then i'm sure things could get out of hand. but i know either way a deal will be made because their is simply too many people who want in with the deal. so it really doesn't matter to you guys in respect to risk or existence of the deal. the only difference between me and him would be price and oh the other difference would be that i kind of started a lot of this....maybe not started it...but definitley accelerated this fire with some gasoline. then the fire got big and people came.

versuviusx
re-cappin' neve

Post by versuviusx » Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:28 pm

like i said i'd like to do it if it weren't too late.

versuviusx
re-cappin' neve

Post by versuviusx » Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:30 pm

i still need some more info on shipping to people in the US so i can make a static quote. i'm waiting on the MFG to give me one more answer and then i will know what price to charge everyone. also my prior quotes have been on the mic without the aluminum case. it looks like everyone wants the AC. but i assure you the quote would still be cheaper.
PPA probably has a master contract with UPS which means he can ship stuff out. so it's possible that he could be making good money just for shipping things out. for example one time i sent a mixer to peavey for repair. the mixer weighed about 40 lbs. i looked on the box and it was priced at $6 coming from mississippii. insane. also if he is doing ti with UPS, the boxes and tape, bags, etc is free. if you go to UPS you can order supplies for free.
that way you could save money on shipping and hence make some. but i still think because of my cost structure that i could get a really good price. i also do not have his over head, which is why he has to keep his margins where they are.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:39 pm

syrupcore wrote:Thanks v for all your work. I think most of us feel better spending en extra 30-40 on the security of buying it from an established company, plus the 30 day.

I had a thought though. If we all add 1 dollar to our order from PPA, ala 1040EZ, it could go towards a 'versuviusx appreciation fund' that would get you the mics for free in the end. Silly sounding but I'd do it. Anyone else?
I was thinking the same thing. I'd be happy to add a buck to the total.

Versuviusx, I kind of came in in the middle and didn't know the circumstances. Rest assured that even if PPA does the deal it does not mean that you were a big part of it and that we all appreciate your efforts.

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:48 pm

having been involved in group orders before, this will go around in a circle until someone puts their foot down and tells people the way it is gonna be. If you feel this strongly about doing this, just do it, put it on a credit card or whataver, tell everyone here that you've bought them, sell to whomever here and then whatever is left sell on ebay. Two things, when it comes time to pay, expect %10 of the people who have comitted to back out because of emergency vet bills, death in the family or whatever else life throws them. Second, do not underestimate the trouble its gonna be to fill all the orders. Could be a cakewalk for you, but there have been classic group orders in the past that just amounted to drama for everyone involved. Make sure you know what you are getting into. Also consider that ribbon mics are mechanical and delicate and can get damaged somewhat more easily than other typs of mics in shipping. If I was doing this, I would increase the price slightly and order more mics to fill in for the broken ones. With the amount of people ordering, thats like $2 or $3 per order to cover your ass. Also, when people eventualy give you hell for any reason under the sun, give it right back, the amount of work you are about to undertake for free is astronimical and no amount of explaining that is gonna get people to understand, just look at where you are now, a week of work organizing this and the "indie" TO community is split between backing you and coroprate sponsorship.

dave
http://www.glideonfade.com
one hundred percent discrete transistor recording with style and care.

thebman
audio school

Post by thebman » Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:14 pm

PPA is the way to go. The difference being I know them, I've bought stuff from them in the past, they have a good reputation, etc. It's worth the extra cash for some assurance. 30 day warranty.

X-ian
alignin' 24-trk

Post by X-ian » Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:47 pm

versuviusx wrote:then i can add my little fee and we would have all make out. also i think i have put in my time in this project and it would have been fun to coordiante the whole thing until expiration. .
I have been watching these posts from the begining and it seems the spirit of the project has changed a little. This is supposed to be a collective effort to get a good deal on mics. It worked. Just the threat of going outside normal channels prompted PPA to sell us the ribbons at less than half price. I would say that's a success. Apparently this is still not good enough for some people and forgive me if I am wrong but I am starting to see some sour grapes and a hint of desperation. If it were me, I would be relieved not to have to deal with the hassle. Maybe the motive has changed form collective bargaining to the possibility of making a good chunk of change. I may be wrong but the tone of the discussion seems to have changed. Frankly it makes me nervous and at this point I don't feel comfortable dealing with anyone but an established business.
"It's better to regret something you have done than something you haven't done" - Gibby Hanes

Greg Dixon
audio school

Post by Greg Dixon » Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:59 pm

I'd just assumed that versuviusx and ppa were in it together. I didn't realise they were competing offers. versuviusx's offer was the one I thought we were saying yes to.

Antero
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Antero » Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:18 am

As a noob who may or may not be interested in this venture (depending on how much money I have at the moment... going to college does not pay well at all), I'd just like to say that the very fact that this is being organized at all is extremely badass.

So, whichever deal finally gets decided on, I would like to applaud you all.
I hate my species.
Spatata
Chuckie Anvil

Dingo
pushin' record

Post by Dingo » Wed Feb 02, 2005 4:43 am

My vote is for PPA. I've delt with them before, they've been great, supported the mic I bought from they WAY beyond when anyone else would have, and I think the idea of a thirty day warrenty with a ribbon mic is smart. I would definately be willing to contribute to the "V" fund. Thanks for taking a week out of you life to deal with this.

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:12 am

Versuviusx, may I please insist that you give up. It was suggested that someone step up to the plate to handle the orders. Garth totally did, and PPA is a business set up to do just this. We're still getting a really good price, and it works out for everyone.

May I refer you to this:

http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopic.php?t=26598

Peace.

Mike
Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!