Pacific Pro Ribbon deal by versuviusx please read!

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
versuviusx
re-cappin' neve

Pacific Pro Ribbon deal by versuviusx please read!

Post by versuviusx » Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:14 pm

ok i just want to clarify some things.
1.first if possible i would like to do this deal.
i started the thread which expediated the culmination of the group-Buy. i feel a little responsible for the fast response and i'm the author of 3 of the 4 post that are involved with this subject... so i would like to be given a chance. i also have been doing extensive research for the past couple of days looking into price and what everything is going to cost.
here is my cost structure for 300 mics at 56.75 = $17,025

Cost of total mics( 300 mics only): $17,025
transportation(to me in the USA): $775
Duty(taxes) $1,081
customs exam(which may/may not occur) $25
insurance(ocean) $100
________
total price for getting to my door = $19,006

19006/300 = $63.35/mic
that's to get to my DOOR people!

i was thinking that it was gonna cost $10 extra to ship out to each person within the US. i can't confirm this until i get one more email. then i will be able to guage how much i can offer the deal for. BUt obviously it has potential for being much cheaper.
my deal offers insurance over the ocean...just incase something goes wrong. also i was planning on testing every single mic before i shipped it. that way i would decrease the chance of someone getting a bad mic.
but remember that this quote is for 300 mics only. if i get more than 300 mics than the price of transportation,tarrifs and duty increase, but it decrease the price for each mic but very little.
for example:

if we bought 350 mics
total mic price would be 350* 56.75 = 19862.50
duty: 1220.48
transportation 904.16
customs charge: 25.00
insurance: 100.00
________
total : $22,112.14

that means it is $22,112.14/350 = $63.17/mic
that is the price of getting it here to my door.

so the price should be around 63 -64 dollars to get to my house.

then i woudl say around 10 to ship off to everyone. so that comes to 64+10= $74.... which is right around the price everyone wanted tp pay in the first place. and Engraving would be Free!!!!
the price is for the ribbon mic and the paper box only with silver screen and free logo. but i think we could easily get the black protective pouch for cheap if not for free. and like i said i would test each ribbon before i sent them out. that only makes sense...even if you are really busy. or if you don't want to test them....that's fine too.

PPA is making 10% so that means 350 mics * $120 = $42,000
42,000*.10= $4,200 for one day of work. i mean i think if you had 2 people helping making it 3 people working on this...you could ship out 300 ribbons in one day.

SO if you guys do roll with PPA, that's honestly fine with me. i just thought you would like to know that i wanted to do it and i achieved a better price...although i haven't quoted a static price yet because i need the shipping info for shipping it out to everyone within the uSA. then i can add my little fee and we would have all make out. also i think i have put in my time in this project and it would have been fun to coordiante the whole thing until expiration. but if you guys want to go with PPA...there is no need for a war or flaming. it's a simple matter of math and i'm fine either way. i'll just order my 2 mics and be done with it. there's also no need to clog
up my mail box with questions or opinions. also i'd like to state that i think no matter what happens it was very generous for PPA to take the time to step in and make an offer.

Also to add i think we should vote on a logo since it's free and i think we should see actually how many people want paper boxes or aluminum boxes or the black pouch option. i think majority should rule.
and i think we should have the option of picking one of 3 options because each option will have an affect on the overall price of the unit as well as shipping, duty and taxes. it's all connected. so i'm just trying to be an intelligent consumer about what we are really getting involved with, and hopefully i have been successful with sheding some light on the deal....that needed to be acknowledged. the numbers that i used for the math were based on guaranteed quotes from manufacture and shipping service provider with inhouse broker. the service provider is only making 60 dollars on my verion of the deal. crazy huh. i check my math twice...so it should be all good. if i made any errors feel free to correct but please no bashing. we're all in this together. thanks for reading and have a great day.

exit2studios
takin' a dinner break

Re: Pacific Pro Ribbon deal by versuviusx please read!

Post by exit2studios » Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:28 pm

I'll weigh in quickly here.

This is the kind of bullshit that is going to make this whole thing a no-go.

Now we basically have two competing deals. That's complete crap. All this is going to do is split up the purchases and everyone looses. Someone needs to decide on ONE bulk purchase, whichever it is and go with it. I thought this was done and now we have a lower bid type situation. Very untapeop.

If you have some "better" options for shipping, brokerage, etc. I'm all for that, but maybe you and Garth should combine forces and come up with something mutually benefitial...for everyone.

NOT trying to bash or start a flame, but come on guys, let's make this happen without any dissention.

e2

versuviusx
re-cappin' neve

Post by versuviusx » Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:31 pm

well i tried. tried being honest. don't worry i totally understand the dynamics of the cotract and situation. i'm pretty involved incase you didn't know. like i said if eveyone wants to go with PPA then i will simply bow out. no biggie.

also knowing the details is not crap.

bad_dude_69
re-cappin' neve

Post by bad_dude_69 » Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:38 pm

i think it was stated from the beginning that versuviusx was checking with the manufacturers about a better deal...
medicate? oh, i thought you said "meditate."

norton
buyin' a studio

Post by norton » Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:40 pm

Knowing the details is Definitely not crap. and i think you're doing all the right things.

as far as what to do here.... wow.... are there any issues involving the financial end of the transaction that make going with PPA a better deal?

Risk etc... I'm just wondering if it might be safer OR easier to go with PPA... if not then so be it. either way it's cool with me.

again... if there's anything i can do to be more helpful let me know.

zack

versuviusx
re-cappin' neve

Post by versuviusx » Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:44 pm

risk wise. the only risk is this. the mic manufacturer not coming up with the mics...and possible damage from me shipping to all the individuals within the US. as far as the ocean damage...it should all be covered within the insurance which cost around 100 dollars. that means if the cargo is lost the person in charge of the deal gets a big check in which the money can be given back to the investors or it can be sent back to the mic manufacturer for another go. the chance of losing the mics at sea are very very slim...that is why insurance is so cheap. but we definitley should get insurance because i have checked into it and this is how it works: they divide all the containers onto pallets. if you do not insure you will only get 500 for each pallet. that means that if they happen to put all 350 mics on 2 pallets we only get 1000 dollars for something that cost close to 20,000. so ...that would suck....that's why we have to get insurance.

squizo
pushin' record

Post by squizo » Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:51 pm

thanks for the math versuviusx!...it puts things in perspective.....

also ... i doubt garth and versuviiusx could combine efforts.....that just seems retarded

No matter what , the first legit person to throw up the deal with 'paynow with paypal' wrapped around it ....is getting my BIZ....PPa, Versuviusx, wal-mart, pizza hut, who cares!

lets just get this rollin'

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:51 pm

I appreciate the time you've put into this.

However, a fair amount of people are only interested if PPA handles it (not myself, actually, but I'll roll with it).

PPA already has systems in place for shipping, taking payment, and getting things accross borders. This is very handy, and IMO worth taking into consideration.

A lot of what you are bringing up is important though - I think it's already been decided that we're going with the HRM-2 in aluminum case for safety in transit, etc. We should decide on what logo/no logo/ whatever, and thanks for setting up that poll.

But in all, I think we should stick with PPA since that's already been in place for several days and people have committed to it. A counter-deal really does present a lot of confusion, and you kind of make it sound like Garth is trying to rip us off.. which I don't believe is the case.
Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!

b3groover
deaf.

Post by b3groover » Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:53 pm

$218 for a pair of ribbon mics isn't cheap enough?

exit2studios
takin' a dinner break

Post by exit2studios » Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:55 pm

I didn't mean to come off as confrontational. Maybe I should keep the profanity to a minimum to make that more clear :-)

I just don't want to see this idea (which is a great one by the way) go by the wayside because we have two competing parties.

I guess it is a fact that it was you who came up with the idea and PPA jumped in. I will keep quiet and let things fall as they may.

I would like to see this "thing" happen, so whatever it takes. I offer no real input or value so I'll quietly bow out and send my check whenever it is time.

versuviusx
re-cappin' neve

Post by versuviusx » Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:57 pm

wait....i'm not trying to make garth look like he is ripping us off. he has to make a profit and that's understandable. i just think that i put in just as much effort if not more, and i wish i could have finished the deal.i was really close...i promise. i just want to help everyone out by trying to get tthe best deal and showing the math shows that we could have gotten a little better deal on the transaction. every little bit counts.

MichaelJoly

Post by MichaelJoly » Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:02 pm

i agree with exit2 -

No doubt versuviusx was the concept originator, but because PPA has imported mics from China before, the Tape Op community saw an opportunity to reduce risk and got behind the PPA deal remarkably smoothly and quickly.

That experience and reduced risk is worth the few dollars difference to me.

re: Logo

I vote for no logo. We're not a company trying to establish a brand here. There's an industrial and generic beauty to this mic in its unadorned state that I for one would rather see.

versuviusx
re-cappin' neve

Post by versuviusx » Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:03 pm

thanks exit2studios
for posting a redeeming response. i appreciate the courteousness

b3groover
deaf.

Post by b3groover » Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:05 pm

MichaelJoly wrote:i agree with exit2 -

No doubt versuviusx was the concept originator, but because PPA has imported mics from China before, the Tape Op community saw an opportunity to reduce risk and got behind the PPA deal remarkably smoothly and quickly.

That experience and reduced risk is worth the few dollars difference to me.

re: Logo

I vote for no logo. We're not a company trying to establish a brand here. There's an industrial and generic beauty to this mic in its unadorned state that I for one would rather see.
Agreed. The piece of mind of going with someone that has experience importing is worth the extra bread to me.

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:05 pm

From what I remember, it was darjama who was doing the initial research, then Garth popped in and we pretty much went with that. I don't recall any dissenting voices. I haven't read every page of every thread, so I may have missed where you said, "hey everybody, not so fast... I'm still researching this, let's not commit to anything yet", so the impression left was that we were going with PPA. I appreciate that you've put a lot of work into this, but it seems like something was lost in communication, and we're pretty much committed at this point. I think it would be really shitty now to bail out on PPA. Two mics for less than the usual price of one is a very good deal.