Recording Amp

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Meriphew
deaf.

Re: Recording Amp

Post by Meriphew » Tue May 13, 2003 3:45 pm

If you want to stay at or below $600, I would look at a used Fender Deluxe Reverb RI and then replace the speaker. If you're lucky you might be able to find a Vox Ac15 for under $600. Mesa Blue Angels (again I would replace the speaker) are very cool too (unless you're wanting an amp for metal).

AstroDan
george martin

Post by AstroDan » Tue May 13, 2003 3:53 pm

Cool, thanks. I was looking into just about every amp mentioned. Sounds like Fender got the most honorable nod :D. I had the Ampeg Portaflex B15, and I loved the sound for bass, so I can somewhat imagine what the guitar amp sounds like. They look so cool, too.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Meriphew
deaf.

Post by Meriphew » Tue May 13, 2003 4:13 pm

Speaking of AC15's - I just saw this on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... gory=38077

geardood
audio school graduate

Post by geardood » Tue May 13, 2003 5:23 pm

Hi Dan,

I'll throw my 2 cents in and suggest you check out those nifty new Orange AD15 amplifiers. It's a 15 watt, all tube class A with a 10" or 12" (your choice) for around $850. It might be a tad more than you want to spend, but man- they sound really good. They've got an extension speaker out too, and plugged into a 4x12 Marshall cab, it's damn nice.

Another option would be to dig around on eBay for some small (4-12 watts) old tube amps- Alamo, Ace Tone, Danelectro, Rickenbacker, etc. I'm especially fond of the little Alamo tube amps and have scored many of the ones I've got for around $90. I usually end up spending a little money getting them tweaked, with an average total cost (for the amp and repairs) of $150 each. I've got a small army of little tube amps, and I wouldn't trade 'em for anything.
getcho shred on!

wardshorsehead
buyin' gear

Post by wardshorsehead » Tue May 13, 2003 5:27 pm

I have a Trace Elliot Velocette that I'm actually selling - a great amp, but one more amp than I need. It would only tap about 1/2 of your budget price, and is in very good shape (never leaves the house). With a nice pedal like a Fulltone Fulldrive, it makes excellent sounds. Class A, all tube, with a speaker out for flexibility. Let me know if you (or anyone) is interested. I know this might be better placed in the Buy Sell category, (sorry Hillary) but thought it was appropriate for the thread at hand.

Frank

upsideyohead
audio school

Post by upsideyohead » Tue May 13, 2003 9:15 pm

foYou want to know the truth -- I ab/d my fender deluxe (which is my main recording amp), recorded with an sm57, through a universal audio 6176, into my p.c. at 24/44.1, with the same guitar through a pod, and through an i.k. multimedia amplitube (which is probably the coolest plug-in made), and, at least with the typical fender clean setting, I couldn't notice any difference. I don't think the pod or amplitube could do a decent marshall imitation (or at least the marshall I used to own), but at least for what I'm into (clean fender sounds), I can't see a whole lot of reason to use an amp at all for recording.

takeout
steve albini likes it

Post by takeout » Wed May 14, 2003 7:47 am

AstroDan wrote:Vox AC-15? Little pricey, but if it's worth it...
Not if your budget is $600. I got mine for $300. Keep looking; they're out there.

I also have a Les Paul Jr. Recording amp from the early 60's. Maybe 5W, little oval-shaped speaker, one knob (Volume)... SM57 to a decent pre and it sounds like a damn half-stack.

Others:

Fender Champ
Any old Gibson tube combo under 15W
Magnatones (best built-in tremolo EVER)
Ampeg Rockets

Just go on Ebay and poke around for a while for ideas... that's how I found out about the Les Paul.

takeout
steve albini likes it

Post by takeout » Wed May 14, 2003 7:57 am

geardood wrote:...Another option would be to dig around on eBay for some small (4-12 watts) old tube amps- Alamo, Ace Tone, Danelectro, Rickenbacker, etc. I'm especially fond of the little Alamo tube amps and have scored many of the ones I've got for around $90. I usually end up spending a little money getting them tweaked, with an average total cost (for the amp and repairs) of $150 each. I've got a small army of little tube amps, and I wouldn't trade 'em for anything.
Damn... I forgot about Alamo. Now I've got to go hunt one down.

Yeah... Alamo...

thirdworldlover
studio intern

Post by thirdworldlover » Wed May 14, 2003 8:36 am

blackface fender vibrochamp... hot damn. the vibrato uses something like half a tube to run (not too up on that side of things...) so it can clean up gorgeously. this is actually why i bought the little guy. but you can also get some FANTASTIC dirty sounds out of em cranked up to 8 or so.

also look into silverface fender twins, non-master volume. the clean is amazing and will STAY even if you go more gain-ey. someone starts playing a good slow slide guitar through it and i really have to sit down and recollect myself. this is the amp that the klon centaur pedal was designed around.

the vibrochamp you can carry around without a care in the world. the twin weighs far more than it has any right to.

hot shit.

xo
nd

aurelialuz
dead but not forgotten

Post by aurelialuz » Wed May 14, 2003 1:15 pm

[]
Last edited by aurelialuz on Tue Apr 06, 2004 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

geardood
audio school graduate

Post by geardood » Wed May 14, 2003 9:55 pm

Takeout: I'll be really upset if you start snatching up all the Alamo amps off of eBay. Please save me a few...i'm addicted to 'em.
:)

And should you dig the Alamo's, if you can find any of the tube Ace Tone amplifiers jump on 'em. They absolutely rock. No foolin'!

geardood
audio school graduate

Post by geardood » Wed May 14, 2003 9:59 pm

I'm sorry to double-post, but damn...here's a nice Alamo. This particular model is pretty excellent with singlecoils or p-90s...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... gory=10171

takeout
steve albini likes it

Post by takeout » Thu May 15, 2003 7:10 am

geardood wrote:Takeout: I'll be really upset if you start snatching up all the Alamo amps off of eBay. Please save me a few...i'm addicted to 'em.
:)

And should you dig the Alamo's, if you can find any of the tube Ace Tone amplifiers jump on 'em. They absolutely rock. No foolin'!
Don't worry; I'm not rich enough to hoard. Just one good one's all I need.

Ace Tone: duly noted. The hunt is on.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu May 15, 2003 12:53 pm

Anuther vote for the Fender Pro, Jr., Eric "Roscoe" Ambel's fave amp...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Hiland Park
audio school

Post by Hiland Park » Thu May 15, 2003 3:26 pm

If you want a small combo that's versatile, a bit of a sleeper that I would recommend would be the Marshall Studio 15 combo. They made them in the early to mid 80's, and I heard that Celestion may have actually originally developed the Vintage 30 for use in them.

It's 15 watts, all tube, one 12" Vintage 30, 8 ohms, knobs are pre, bass, mid, treble, master. The eq is WAY more versatile than any eq I've ever experienced on a Marshall. I.e., it actually affects the tone more than slightly. :) You can get great, dirty JCM 800-ish tones (duh) all the way to clean, sparkly Fender-ish tones.

The 8 ohm output is 1/4 inch, so you can easily disconnect the internal speaker and drive a 4x12 into ecstasy. It also has a headphone out, that you can plug the internal (or other) speaker into if you want to crank the hell outta it (they are excruciatingly loud for 15 watts) at bedroom volumes. Oh yeah, you can always use it for headphones too.

Good luck with your search.

Eric