Ampeg Reverberocket

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
GrizzlyAtom
studio intern

Ampeg Reverberocket

Post by GrizzlyAtom » Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:14 am

Anyone have any firsthand experience with this amp? HarmonyCentral loves it, but all the reviews seem to mention its great for jazz and blues, and i want the ROCK. Im lookin at the 2x12 combo, to potentially run in stereo with my SuperReverb.

mikeyc
buyin' gear

Re: Ampeg Reverberocket

Post by mikeyc » Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:31 am

It depends on what sort of rock you're after. I had the 1x12 model and it was quite nice in a gritty/sparkly way. I switched to a Fender Twin, and I think the twin is a little beefier if that gives you any reference point.

will
pluggin' in mics

Post by will » Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:42 am

got one, with the original jensen c12n speaker and 7591-tubes (not converted to 6l6's).
i love it for it's clean sound and the reverb. wouldn't use it in a rock-setting thoug (i play in a bluesband ...). i think 'sparkly' is the correct term!

takeout
steve albini likes it

Post by takeout » Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:51 am

If you're talking the reissue ones, I'd bet the 2x12 version could handle whatever you threw at it.

GrizzlyAtom
studio intern

Post by GrizzlyAtom » Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:58 am

Ya, its the re-issue Im lookin at. I play shoegazey/rock stuff, so there will be LOTS of pedals run through it. Id love to get a twin, but the price is a little out of my league and the ampeg is $450. The other guy I play with uses a Sunn Model T, so if I ran the ampeg in stereo with my super reverb, would they be able to compete with the Sunn?

mikeyc
buyin' gear

Post by mikeyc » Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:10 am

GrizzlyAtom wrote:I ran the ampeg in stereo with my super reverb, would they be able to compete with the Sunn?
My guess would be definitely. I played the single 12 50-watt combo with a pretty loud "power pop" band and I was drowning out the band at half volume. It's a LOUD amp. And the reissue prices are really good. I'd probably still be with mine, but I got lucky with my tax return a couple years ago...

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:12 am

I've got an original 1x15, and it kicks an awful lot of ass. A little noisy so I don't use it on quiet stuff. But for loud it's great.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

0xeneye
pushin' record

Post by 0xeneye » Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:16 pm

THe re-issues are complete shit, stay far far away. THe circuit isn't built to a good spec, so components fry, tubes rattle and blow, and then you are always searching for the next amp to replace it. St Louis Music won't help. Sorry to rain on any parties.....
0x

thereminman
takin' a dinner break

Post by thereminman » Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:53 pm

I've got a (maybe 8 year old?)Reverberocket and an old Fender Deluxe.
I like them both , but they're different.
The Fender is brighter and edgier.
The Ampeg is smoother.
The Fender rules if going for a surf-like tone.
The Ampeg is nicer for a Beatle-esque thing.

gravy boat
takin' a dinner break

Post by gravy boat » Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:30 pm

0xeneye wrote:THe re-issues are complete shit, stay far far away. THe circuit isn't built to a good spec, so components fry, tubes rattle and blow, and then you are always searching for the next amp to replace it. St Louis Music won't help. Sorry to rain on any parties.....
I'll second that. The newer Ampeg guitar amps are crap. I had one that was completely unpredictable. I worked at a guitar store that had one on the floor the two years I was there. Sold it THREE TIMES. It came back with "problems" every time. Had it "fixed" several times. I think ut was sold as is for $100.
I'm a drinking man with a guitar problem.

bigtoe
deaf.

Post by bigtoe » Fri Feb 04, 2005 5:24 am

may as well get an original...they cost less and don't break easy. ampeg really has QC problems.

i don't remember if this is the one with a tremolo on it but lordy...very cool if it is...

Mike