Pacific Pro Audio Ribbon Group Buy Instructions

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Re: Pacific Pro Audio Ribbon Group Buy Instructions

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:33 pm

There is a loophole called a "cash discount".
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

nestle
re-cappin' neve

Post by nestle » Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:49 pm

Against my better judgement I'm gonna add my 2cents to how retarded this thread is getting-
1- I'm actually one of the few who own one of those NADY mics, I love it (I use a great preamp UA610, 60gain Why is anyone shocked a Ribbon needs lots o' gain? ) if you look at some of my old posts awhile ago when I reviewed it I told everybody I couldn't wait till people caught on to this mic and was laughing as everyone was trying to trick out their lemon Octava 52's- being totally nady-phobic (well there is good reason I guess lol). I put it up agaianst my U87 and my royer 121 and it held it's own with character to spare. For 2 hundred whatever bucks a pair I CANNOT believe people are worried about anything and are complaining- it's embaressing, this is a phenominal deal. If you don't want in shut up and don't bother, I'm buying 2 pairs, and trust me...IF (who knows) they are the same as the NADY I will have no problems. Just DO NOT throw 48V into them, don't use a tt bay and treat them as you would a old RCA. I told Garth the same thing and to write a disclaimer about this. When people fry this mic they'll blame everyone but themselves.

2- I've spoken with Garth before this whole ribbonmainia thing ( while buying a drive) and again when I placed my mic order, the guy is a straight shooter as far I can tell....we should really be thanking him instead of questioning motives...again 2 hundred & chump change whatever it is for a pair are you fucking crazy? its a deal!!!!
how friggin' broke ass are you guys?

3- I guess the logo thing is just to complicated, I'm changing my vote to no logo and this is the last time I look at a fucking ribbon thread- bye
Last edited by nestle on Sat Feb 05, 2005 2:14 pm, edited 7 times in total.

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:51 pm

Geez Louise, this thread has changed since I sent my check to Garth. 75db gain? Will my Aphex 107's cut it? I will very annoyed if they don't.

It is in fact against PayPal rules to surcharge to make up for the fees. but most people don't know that. I still trust that my check will bring me a couple of pretty good mics, that Garth is being aboveboard on the numbers, and that I will certainly make back the money I spent if I happen not to like them.

Time will tell...

Huntlabs
pushin' record

Post by Huntlabs » Sat Feb 05, 2005 1:43 pm

Reality check: It costs more if you use a credit card or paypal. If you don't like it use a check. I don't mind that he charged me $2.00 for my credit card payment. Who cares, it's $2.00 frigging dollars. My god!

This is getting retarted.

Not that it matters but I'm for no logo now too.
"Add water, makes its own sauce"

www.CRACKERTONES.com

fremitus
pushin' record

Post by fremitus » Sat Feb 05, 2005 1:55 pm

just to say it...

if y'all keep complaining about the surcharge. he's not likely to remove the surcharge, he's more likely to charge more to the cash/check payers. it's exactly what i do with my ebay selling. the shipping/handling fees that i charge assume the use of paypal. if someone uses a money order, then i pocket a couple of extra $. it's not shady or bad-business. it's just plain business. the fact that he is offering a cash discount is him being a good guy. that's my opinion.

the rest of my opinion? this is a sick deal, if i didn't already have a couple of royers i'd jump all over this. i might anyway. it's tearing me up a bit...

red_robot
audio school graduate

Post by red_robot » Sat Feb 05, 2005 4:21 pm

lonesome_tone wrote:The extra fees are not merely in bad taste, they are EXPLICITLY NOT ALLOWED.

http://www.gofso.com/Premium/LE/06_le_i ... nts.html#C

This is the policy of the card companies, and is the LAW in some states. And it's just kinda douchey.
Cowtrax already responded to this, but I think it's worth mentioning that the link posted as evidence of how "douchey" Garth is actually makes clear that his pricing is, in fact not "NOT ALLOWED" and not illegal:
Note that a cash discount is legal and permitted under all credit card companies rules. A cash discount offers a lower price for cash than credit; for example, many gasoline stations offer cash discounts. While this may merely be a loophole, it is permitted.
Maybe these mics are cheap Chinese junk. Fine, feel free to express that opinion. Just not buying them is probably a better option, however, than unfairly badmouthing people with misleading statements.

Anyway, I've just got an Aphex 207 and an AudioBuddy...I should be able to send each mic through one AB channel and one Aphex channel and get acceptable results, no? Or do I need a fancier pre?

lonesome_tone
takin' a dinner break

Post by lonesome_tone » Sat Feb 05, 2005 5:05 pm

just to clarify, i'm not out to shit talk over two bucks. the 'loophole' pricing was a new development, the original breakdown clearly had surcharges as part of it, and that, will several other factors, just turned me off as i said. being cheap about two bux didn't break the deal for me, busting everyone's balls for 3-5% is certainly lame tho.

junkstar
re-cappin' neve

Post by junkstar » Sat Feb 05, 2005 5:20 pm

'Red Robot' - 12 posts total and on the attack against Garth. I gotta think you are here for that sole purpose and have to take your posts with a grain of salt. I think you've got an agenda..

red_robot
audio school graduate

Post by red_robot » Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:18 pm

:shock:
junkstar wrote:'Red Robot' - 12 posts total and on the attack against Garth. I gotta think you are here for that sole purpose and have to take your posts with a grain of salt. I think you've got an agenda..

junkstar
re-cappin' neve

Post by junkstar » Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:24 pm

Ooops... "not NOT allowed".... my bad. Read your post wrong... Sorry guy.

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Sat Feb 05, 2005 7:03 pm

Hey just a thought here, the VTB-1 has a switch on the back specifically for ribbon mic's. I happen to have a pair so I am planning on using these for these babies till I move up. I know nobody wants to drop any more cash buyng new amps, but maybe someone has experience with these on ribbons and can give some input?

BTW Garth, gettin ready to send you an email with my order. . .

Thanks a lot for the deal. I was really saving up for an RNP, but with the purchase of a new console I find myself in need of a few more mic's before a few more pre's, so these are just the ticket for me.
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

old crow
audio school

Post by old crow » Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:41 pm

I have a pair of Nady's and a VTB-1, but the 50 ohm switch on the VTB-1 is not necessary, as the Nady ribbons are 200 ohm. They don't require a huge amout of gain. eg. tonite I used one with the VTB-1 and I had the gain dimmed but the output was less than half... not a lot more than a 57...
I'm so pleased with these mics that I've ordered another pair from Brian :D
How can you go wrong at $225. / pr. I can hardly believe anyone would give up so much of his time researching, ordering and then shipping all these mics to us.... :D Here's to you, Brian 8)

red_robot
audio school graduate

Post by red_robot » Sat Feb 05, 2005 11:53 pm

junkstar wrote:Ooops... "not NOT allowed".... my bad. Read your post wrong... Sorry guy.
Oops. I suppose that was a little unclear. Double negatives...I should know better. :oops:

I wasn't trying to be a dick, I just thought that the implication that PPA is doing something shady is a little unfair. I can understand why lonesome_tone would find their apparent disorganization to be a turnoff, but then again, their usual retail markup probably makes transaction fees less of a factor in pricing.

Good to hear that the VTB-1 pairs up well with these guys, I'm kind of afraid my low-budget pres won't do them justice, what with them needing super gain and all. This world of ribbon mics frightens and confuses me...

Greg Dixon
audio school

Post by Greg Dixon » Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:14 am

Man, I can't believe anyone would be upset with Garth over this. If we don't see the mics then yes, but I think that is extremely unlikely. The guy runs a business and is making next to nothing on these. This is an exceptional deal. If he'd just shut up and pocketed the extra 'profit' from cheques etc, this discussion wouldn't be happening. The price was never $140 for the pair. That was just the price from the factory. There was always going to be shipping costs, duty, brokerage fees etc.

ladewd
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by ladewd » Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:05 am

Thanks Garth, I just emailed and faxed in my order for 1 mic. No preference on the logo, although I like the CAR logo.

CA