Pacific Pro Audio Ribbon Group Buy Instructions

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Re: Pacific Pro Audio Ribbon Group Buy Instructions

Post by ubertar » Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:40 pm

Not to imply you'd actually do that-- my post wasn't meant as a flame.

Mr PC
buyin' gear

Post by Mr PC » Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:12 pm

Ubertar. where do you get your fekking avatars? They are the most profound and arresting ones I see (Besides jsdowa's dancing girl, or course).

PC

DryCounty
buyin' a studio

Post by DryCounty » Sat Feb 05, 2005 7:00 am

Madguitrst wrote:You're not crazy, at least not for ordering the mics. I hope you have the preamps to power the mics though. I think you need around 75 db of gain. My Syteks have 70 db and they either have to run all of the way up or (my preference) is to daisy chain two channels.
Drat. I knew that these need a lot of gain, my pres only go up to around 70 as well. Anyone know for sure if these need 75?
"I would imagine that the inside of a bottle of cleaning fluid is fucking clean." -Hedberg
-----
Tulsa Drone
Dry County Records ? Richmond, Virginia
twitter: drycounty

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:10 am

Mr PC wrote:Ubertar. where do you get your fekking avatars? They are the most profound and arresting ones I see (Besides jsdowa's dancing girl, or course).

PC
Usually while doing an image search for something completely unrelated. In this case I was looking for "chimpanzee assembly line"... I was hoping to find pictures of pregnant chimps crapping out capacitors in a factory setting. Hope that helps.

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:16 am

Funnily enough, google doesn't have any images or sites for 'pregnant chimps crapping out capacitors in a factory setting' ..actually, that is kind of surprising.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

lonesome_tone
takin' a dinner break

Post by lonesome_tone » Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:45 am

syrupcore wrote:
Actually, I'm hoping that if it comes time to resell them on eBay that there is nothing to link them back to this purchase. Then they would go for the market price about where the Nady mics are. I lean towards the notion that no logo might be harder on the resale, while something that seems more commercial might appeal to folks more. Or perhaps I'm mistaken, and a no logo piece build the mystery so people bid it up thinking it might be some old forgotten RCA model.
On the other hand, giving it some kind of name does make it easier to refer to when asking an assistant to grab the mic from the locker.

-Jeremy

well, there was half a dozen nady ribbons on ebay before ppa, american eagle or whatever the fuck, and tbone started rebadging them, and the nady's were selling for about $100 less than the musician friend price. i know this cause i bought one then, for that much. all these people coming out of the woodwork for a hundred dollar mic, why do i think about 40 are going to appear on ebay right off the bat? and that's BEFORE people realize their preamps aren't going to cut it!

several things about this transaction turned me off, and i was originally very psyched for it, i think i was like number 20 to say I wanted in, originally. Like the way it 'amazingly' almost doubled in price, the way they're charging you for their credit/paypal fees (that's against the rules at visa,mc,amex AND paypal), the way there's a three month wait (!), the no-warranty, no-test, 'we'll SELL you a replacement ribbon' thing, and especially, especially, the way that after this goes down, these mics will be near worthless on the used market. i'm thinking that if i'm not really loving my Nady in a few months time i better get out while i stand half a chance of getting any money back.

garth is a businessman, not tape op's saviour, though he might be a nice guy and all. is everyone aware that when tape op reviewed a PPA condenser mic a while back they trashed it? Like, probably the most negative review I've read of a rebadged chinese condenser, or just about anything Tape Op's ever bothered to written up?

i'm not writing this to inflame or offend Garth or anyone who's psyched about this deal, but it gave me a bad taste for a bunch of reasons and I can't possibly be the only one.

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:50 am

Rigsby wrote:Funnily enough, google doesn't have any images or sites for 'pregnant chimps crapping out capacitors in a factory setting' ..actually, that is kind of surprising.
Just do a search for "Behringer".

lunatic
steve albini likes it

Post by lunatic » Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:32 am

Lonesome_tone...

You aren't really the only one. I'm sure there are others feeling the same way.

The thing that gets me are the credit card and PayPal fees being charged to the consumer. I strongly disagree with this. I'm not here to cover someone's business fees. That's the 'thorn in my side', so to speak. Even though the fees being charged are small I find it's more the principal of the matter.

It is this reason that I have yet to place my order. I'm still up inthe air about it. It's damn tempting to buy a cheap pair of ribbons but at the same time at what point do I stick to my own values.

Gear Addiction can really grab you by the nads at times, eh :wink:
Peace,
Brad

spankenstein
re-cappin' neve

Post by spankenstein » Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:07 am

Those fees eat up a lot. He changed it so it's a base price and you get discounts for different forms of payment. Go to any mom and pop and buy something and haggle them down and then whip out a card. They are goig to call off the deal and buck the price back up to cover the fees.

My company gives discounts on pay before the terms end, so like we may give the company net 60 (60 days) but cut 1% if they pay before thirty days.

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:12 am

lunatic wrote:Lonesome_tone...

You aren't really the only one. I'm sure there are others feeling the same way.

The thing that gets me are the credit card and PayPal fees being charged to the consumer. I strongly disagree with this. I'm not here to cover someone's business fees. That's the 'thorn in my side', so to speak. Even though the fees being charged are small I find it's more the principal of the matter.

It is this reason that I have yet to place my order. I'm still up inthe air about it. It's damn tempting to buy a cheap pair of ribbons but at the same time at what point do I stick to my own values.

Gear Addiction can really grab you by the nads at times, eh :wink:
Peace,
Brad
Write a check. It's free. :roll:

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:20 am

I wrote a check.
But I seriously considered PayPal - I don't mind when a company that is plainly not making a lot off of a transaction admits that the conveniece on my part leads to fees on their part, and asks for them to be covered.
If people want to pay my studio via PayPal, I tell them they no longer qualify for the 'cash/check discount' and will have to pay the 'regular rate' which covers the fees... I explain it to them very clearly why this is the case, and noone has complained - they feel it's worth it for the convenience of using their credit card, and understand that my margins at the studio are very small and tight.
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

llmonty
re-cappin' neve

Post by llmonty » Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:21 am

i agree about the ebay market for these mics not being as robust as $250 - which in theory if you only want/need 1 you can sell the other and be out $0. After looking at all the COMPLETED nady and related ribbon sales on ebay not one sold. Not for $229 with free shipping, not with a free boom stand, not with the nady name on it.

I am splitting the 2 I ordered with a friend. I can't see how the mic won't be useable for something, unless it is broken.

Let's not lose perspective here. We are talking about a microphone (and a cheap one at that), not the mortgage on my house. :roll:
richmond is a really cool town - supafuzz

lunatic
steve albini likes it

Post by lunatic » Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:29 am

Ubertar... it's free until something goes wrong. We still don't know how this is going to turn out. Granted, Garth has a history behind him of selling gear but anything can happen. With a card at least I get a little protection.

-Brad

eh91311
buyin' a studio

Post by eh91311 » Sat Feb 05, 2005 11:49 am

I don't like the increase either but it's still a good deal at the $218 a pair price.

To be accurate and fair, in regards to the TapeOp review of their original condenser mic, TapeOp's editor (you know who that is) printed a later disclaimer about how he had inadvertently used a 'bad' mic cable when evaluating the PPA mic for review, which affected his opinions about the mic's performance.

If Garth makes money (and he will), it's OK, he should, he's doing the work for the purchase. All I know is, all of us participants are getting a pair of mics with a street price of $500 for $218 delivered. Delivery in 2 months, 3 months, whatever... I can wait, as long as I get what I've paid for in the end.

This is a simple thing. Either participate and send in your check or don't. If you can't or won't pay by check, pay the extra charges for using your credit card or paypal. The deadline is 2/7.

lonesome_tone
takin' a dinner break

Post by lonesome_tone » Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:19 pm

The extra fees are not merely in bad taste, they are EXPLICITLY NOT ALLOWED.

http://www.gofso.com/Premium/LE/06_le_i ... nts.html#C

This is the policy of the card companies, and is the LAW in some states. And it's just kinda douchey.