Pedal Chain question

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
tylernolan
pluggin' in mics

Pedal Chain question

Post by tylernolan » Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:13 pm

What would you put first in this pedal chain? 2nd? Boss Overdrive, Danelectro Pastrami Overdrive, Danelectro Reverse Delay, Boss Digital Delay, Electro Harmonix Octave pedal, Digitech Stereo Flanger.

GrizzlyAtom
studio intern

Re: Pedal Chain question

Post by GrizzlyAtom » Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:21 pm

Personally, I would run it like so:

Boss OD
EH Octave
Flanger
Reverse Delay
Boss Delay
Pastrami

but thats just me, I'm sure theres probably a better combination

Catoogie
buyin' a studio

Post by Catoogie » Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:22 pm

Not to be a dick but........USE YOUR EARS!!! How can you ask someone else in what order you should place your effects? You have no idea if they have tin ears and wouldn't know good tine if it bit them on the ass. That's like asking where should I set the gain on my overdrive pedal (which by the way is 10 o'clock). You gotta do the work.

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Wed Feb 02, 2005 4:17 pm

Generally, wave and gain effects front, time based effects back.

I.e. compressors, overdrive, distortion, tremelos front; reverb, delay, flanger chorus back.

But, yeah, what Catoogie said... this is definitely not set in stone.

One of my favorite counter-examples is Bob Mould using dbx compressors at the end of the signal chain, which allows for some of his massive tones, particularly with feedback.

AASteveo
studio intern

Post by AASteveo » Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:27 pm

If you use a lot of pedals, you need this adapter. It's the best product. You can plug in 5 different pedals with the same adapter. Plus, the cord is longer than usualy so you don't need extension cords. It fits all Boss pedals and most other brands, too. It's like 25 bucks and it's worth every penny.

SKEETER
steve albini likes it

Post by SKEETER » Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:35 pm

This is my general rule about pedals. Always put compressors at the begining, because comps will always boost the noise of other devices. I always put time devices such as chorus and delays at the end of the signal chain, so that any distortion devices that generate noise do not increase the WOOSH they make. Sometimes you can put chorus and delay before the stomp boxes and get less woosh, depending on which device has more inherent noise. If you are using the distortion mostly to boost the signal instead of distortion, put it before the chorus, if for the distortion alone with no boost, it could work either side of the chorus/delay/flange/ whatever.
Other than that experiment.