Ignorance

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
versuviusx
re-cappin' neve

Re: Ignorance

Post by versuviusx » Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:36 pm

sorry chris that you got bummed out man.
th radar would have sounded way better than PT's. his loss.

thunderboy
buyin' a studio

Post by thunderboy » Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:40 pm

cgarges wrote:I just hope this is an isolated incident and not an indicator of where the masses attitudes are headed.

Unfortunately, everything the masses know about recording they learned from Spin. Brace yourselves!
cgarges wrote:Plus, with any luck, it'll allow me to buy a FET47.

Well, that would be OK, then!

jt
"most toreadors worth a damn are circumcized."
- Discs of Tron

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:48 pm

soundguy wrote:work is work, thats true.
Yes, it is. As a matter of fact, tonight I will be recording an Elvis impersonator. Nice guy. I've worked with him before. That'll pay for the drumheads and speaker cable I bought today.

Chris

Electro-Voice 664
re-cappin' neve

Post by Electro-Voice 664 » Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:09 pm

This isn't only happening in studio grear. It seems lots of bands are into real new gear period. And if I pull out a 60s ludwig snare to suggest over their Orange County, or a Jazz bass over their Spector. They don't even wanna hear it. I am very open to new gear, but you use what you have and try to learn it in a productive efficient manner. I can't and don't wanna always be upgrading my stuff to meet some 'Mix magazine type' standard of pro.
I feel like if it worked and sound good today it will work and sound good tomorrow, regardless of what new plug-in comes out that will set up your mics, gets coffee, and posts' messages for ya.

Chris,
But the bottom line is the client. You want work, even more experience ect. I'd say call him up, tell him you've been informed of his worries, and explain to him that there are more than 1 way to make a great recording, and offer to listen to his concerns, (even though you'll wanna say 'fuckin' dumb ass'). Maybe after he's told you all this silly BS you can tell him how it is and move on, making his recording and taking his money and turning it into a fet47. If it dosen't work out at least you confronted the issue.

Or do whatever, your a smart guy.

By the way whats the best PT pakage for under $200? :hammer:
"Play ethnicky jazz to parade your snazz. On your five grand stereo."

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:27 pm

wintershed wrote:This isn't only happening in studio grear. It seems lots of bands are into real new gear period.
It's not so much the gear or the time period or whatever. Personally, I'd be a little suspect of an engineer that came running out with his favorite old snare drum right off the bat without hearing whatever drum (new or old) I happen to think appropriate for whatever I'm playing on. My four month-old Pork Pie gets equal billing with my forty year-old Rogers or Gretschs. In all reality, I have bands come in that get super-psyched to use my Gretsch drums, old Paiste cymbals, Vox Pacemaker, 70s P-bass or whatever.

I think it's just a matter of buzzwords and ignorance and talking to hear oneself talk. Non-linear analog? WTF? He heard me say "non-linear editing" in terms of the RADAR's usefulness, but he didn't hear anything else I was trying to describe to his buddy that asked me about it.
wintershed wrote:But the bottom line is the client. You want work, even more experience ect. I'd say call him up, tell him you've been informed of his worries, and explain to him that there are more than 1 way to make a great recording, and offer to listen to his concerns, (even though you'll wanna say 'fuckin' dumb ass'). Maybe after he's told you all this silly BS you can tell him how it is and move on, making his recording and taking his money and turning it into a fet47. If it dosen't work out at least you confronted the issue.
Trust me--I'm usually the type of guy to do whatever the client wants me to. Your first sentence is a big part of my recording mantra.

I thought about going that route, but I feel like I would be betraying the studio owner's confidence, which is something I DO NOT want to do. I guess that's part of what makes me mad, too. I'm a freakishly honest and up-front guy when it comes to stuff like this and I'm a little pissed that he went and called the studio owner without asking me these kind of things. It's not like I would have lied to him to keep the gig.

I'm still amazed by this whole thing.

Chris

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:35 pm

I have experienced people like this as well..Lucky for me I only record friends or friends of friends..so I pretty much give them the plain simple truth about protools and how there are different levels of analog and digital..and how the marketing skews popular opinion..they usually take it well..if somebody i didnt know came to me with a nice sized budget and the same sort of PT uber all crap I might even do the same and let them know the facts..Anybody ever loose a client this way?

AlSmith
pluggin' in mics

Post by AlSmith » Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:52 pm

I bought an mbox just to "learn pro tools." I hate this fucking program.

heylow
george martin

Post by heylow » Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:00 pm

cgarges wrote:We started talking about ProTools and I explained that I didn't use it and that my not using it had never hindered me in any way in terms of making a record. (We're looking at doing his project on RADAR.)

Oh see....you cheaped out on him! :wink:

Seriously...your post is probably the number one reason I don't do other people record much. I can't stand the cut and paste approach right outta the gate as it is. I mean, if something needs fixing, then it needs it. But to basicly have a fix it in the mix attitude is somrthing I freakin hate.

heylow

Theron D
pushin' record

Post by Theron D » Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:07 pm

Protools and Bose speakers. Two brand names that turn heads for the average consumer......uhhh

Theron D

senorsmoke
audio school graduate

Post by senorsmoke » Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:22 pm

Hi Chris,

well, let me start off by saying I read your posts often and respect your opinion and general outlook on music and sound. I don't post here that often but read the board every day. With that said I can honestly affirm that your honesty and integrity come through in your posts.

This "guy" is obviously a jack-ass...he shouldn't be involved in music period. I know this seems like harsh judgement but why do people continue to act as though they know something when they have no experience. He should feel blessed to have someone like yourself who performs,records for a living even helping him. Maybe now his best route is to buy an Mbox and sit in his mom's basement writing complicated art-rock intrumentals. Justice 'eh?

Anyway, life is like that ten-fold here in Los Angeles. "whaddya mean you don't have Pro Tools" ...just look at how records are made here: hire Vinnie Caliuata to play a 3 min pop song...why? Can't anyone just have faith in the guys here in the trenches to get the job done...I'm not that upset about big studios closing their doors either...whoa, maybe I'm too cynical.

Just keep your smarts about yourself and know what's right, and what's jive. You'll always be successful.

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:33 pm

Ignorance is bliss, eh?
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

StivBatorsWreckedMyCar
alignin' 24-trk

Post by StivBatorsWreckedMyCar » Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:59 pm

Yeah, I explained to my bandmates that I put together a digital recording set-up and we could record our next record on it. The first response? "My friend knows Pro Tools, we could get him to run it!" It's like a record ain't a record unless it's been blessed by this omniscent power know as PT...

sloanfiske
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by sloanfiske » Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:25 am

same deal a few years back in video editing...avid avid avid. didn't matter that other systems were better..."must have avid". i love the fact that Final Cut Pro is becoming standard and you can get an uncompressed video editing system for 10k. and now Avid is trying to catch up (funny...it's a sister company to digidesign). Let's just see what Apple comes up with next...bought Logic...Garage Band...ummm.
my parents drove it up from the bahamas

really

not really...the bahamas are islands

Stephen
steve albini likes it

Post by Stephen » Thu Feb 03, 2005 5:00 am

On the flip side I get a lot of punk rockers who will record with me because I am an analogue recordist (or because I don't use PT.) It is mostly because they have had such negative experiences with it (or at least clowns who had no idea what they were doing with it.) A tool is a tool. Any medium can work.
Pax, Steve
Last edited by Stephen on Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Necessity is a mother....
http://instantdogma.net

andyg666
re-cappin' neve

Post by andyg666 » Thu Feb 03, 2005 5:34 am

Man, that's a bummer. I would think that having heard a sample of your work they would just trust you and realize that it wouldn't sound quite as good if you weren't able to change the volume of things or do some editing... I really hope you don't lose this client solely because you don't have pro tools... If you do though, you may be able to file a class action suit against digidesign. now that's a good way to afford a U47!