Portable recording.

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
markee2004
takin' a dinner break

Portable recording.

Post by markee2004 » Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:42 pm

I am looking for a small portable recording device with at least 2 mic inputs, and hopefully something that will record up to 3 hours at a time (1 hour at least). I'm thinking it'll probably be mini-disc or something digital along those lines. I need it to record my bands jams.
you can buy all the equipment in the world but it won't write the music for you.

Zoltar
gettin' sounds

Re: Portable recording.

Post by Zoltar » Wed Feb 02, 2005 4:01 pm

Why don't you get a powerbook and one of those MOTU Travellers? That would work.

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Wed Feb 02, 2005 4:27 pm

Is it just to get an idea of what was going on at the jams? If so, i'd go MD, the ECM 907 does a pretty good job as a stereo mic for these kind of recordings, though the bass response is pretty poor, but for reference, it's all pretty cheap and effective. I think you can pick one of those mics up for $60-$70 on the bay.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

markee2004
takin' a dinner break

Post by markee2004 » Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:06 pm

Yeah that motu interface would be great if I had enough money, also i really wouldn't want the hassle of having to get a computer involved. I'm looking for more like a dictaphone. only digital, and with a couple of mic inputs.
you can buy all the equipment in the world but it won't write the music for you.

jmligt
alignin' 24-trk

Post by jmligt » Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:31 pm

Marantz makes CDR recorders and a flash card recorder with two built-in preamps. I use the flash card recorder (PMD-670) every so often at work, really handy portable recorder, somewhat pricey though

-Lig

Zoltar
gettin' sounds

Post by Zoltar » Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:19 pm

I am projecting my own dreams with that Traveller idea, but if you already have a laptop, something in that direction might be doable. I used to carry a c1000s in my computer bag (because it has a battery, no 48V needed) to throw down ideas.

Even if you don't have a laptop, you could perhaps get one for a couple hundred bucks that would do it. Two track, a cheap mixer, protools free

old laptops might not like to play and record at the same time, so overdubbing would have to be on another computer.

just an idea.

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:08 am

I can't think of a portable MD recorder with two mic inputs come to think of it.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

qqquantity
audio school

Post by qqquantity » Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:11 am

I have a Sony minidisc recorder that came with a little stereo electret condenser. Built in pre's and power over the cord (w/special 1/8" jack)... it sounds pretty good for room sounds and it's what I use to record practices.

Just make sure if you get a md recorder that it does manual record level setting. Seems simple, but on a lot of them you can't turn off the auto-compression.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:40 am

Read the stuff over at http://www.minidisc.org about gear and such... minidisc is really nice for this sort of thing, very close to CD quality. I've got one of the Sony 907 mics too, and they do a great job recording rehearsals and gigs.

A laptop would be nice, but a MD recorder fits in your pocket.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:39 am

I use a minidisc with the sony 907 to record our band's practices. It's one stereo mic, so a little trial and error for placement. In our particular setup I place the mic on top of the bass amp and have gotten good levels for everything.

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:03 am

Something like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 80799&rd=1

So many choices, so cheap. So easy, fun, interesting, and downright kickass!