MoreMe Headphones? under $10 bucks

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Kerry Haught
audio school

Re: MoreMe Headphones? under $10 bucks

Post by Kerry Haught » Fri Feb 04, 2005 6:13 am

dracon wrote:I've bought the MoreMe's Deluxe Edition.

1. I have a soft head and need the additional padding.
2. I really needed the HeadPhones to say Left & Right.
3. I didn't have to go find an addaptor for the Phone Jack.

Seriously, I bought the Deluxe from Harvey directly and I have to say that for $35 they are not a bad pair of Headphones. I wouldn't use them for detail work (Just got a pair of DT 770s), but for tracking and overall listening they are not bad. I've worn them for about 1 hours straight (not to test them just using them) and while my ears were a little miffed with me, they were ready to go on strike or anything. What does that mean? Well, when I wear my consumer Sony Headphones for 1/2 my ears feel like they are about to fall off. With the MoreMe they were sore after an hour but not in pain (if that means anything).

So that you know Harvey Gerst (the guy that sells the MoreMe's), get's them made under that name for him (he uses them for trackin in his own studio - http://www.frontendaudio.com/MoreMe%20Headphones.htm) made by some company. So it would not surprise me if they were the same HeadPhones.

If you want to read a good thread on the MoreMe go here
http://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread ... ght=MoreMe

and here is another one

http://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread ... ght=MoreMe
Dracon,
If you'd like to do a side by side comparison of the Califone 3068AV and the MoreMe headphones you already have, I?d be happy to send you a pair free of charge... e-mail me your address if you?re interested.

Harvey Gerst
ass engineer

Post by Harvey Gerst » Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:05 am

Kerry Haught wrote:Dracon,
If you'd like to do a side by side comparison of the Califone 3068AV and the MoreMe headphones you already have, I?d be happy to send you a pair free of charge... e-mail me your address if you?re interested.
Kerry, that sounds like a great idea. Dracon, do it.
But Kerry, to be absolutely fair, you will ship them out 2nd day air, right? (All my orders go 2nd day in the U.S.) If they order the phones from you with 2nd day air shipping, it comes to over $20. What's the warrenty on the Califones, and how do you handle repairs? Just kinda curious.
Harvey Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio
http://www.itrstudio.com/

spankenstein
re-cappin' neve

Post by spankenstein » Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:19 am

I'm just goin to say that even if I could get the same headphone for like $1, I'd still buy them from Harvey for the service.

Harvey Gerst
ass engineer

Post by Harvey Gerst » Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:49 am

spankenstein wrote:I'm just goin to say that even if I could get the same headphone for like $1, I'd still buy them from Harvey for the service.
Nah, if he'll do the same stuff I do, hell, I'll buy from him. But every pair of headphones with volume controls I tried didn't survive a week in a studio environment. I've had this same discussion with other people on the net ("Hey, the MoreMe's are the same as my Pyramids, or Nippon America, or my Calrads, except mine have volume controls, and one side is blown, or both sides went out, etc...")

I don't blame Kerry, but Cousins Video (where he works) is gonna have a lot of new, very upset customers when they realize the phones he's trying to push won't last very long when you run them hard, as in a studio.

When you're in the middle of a session and your phones go dead, how long will they take to replace them? When my studio clock is ticking, that's important to me. Will they replace them without waiting to get the broken set back? Will they send the replacements 2nd day air? Will they do the extra padding mod I do (to smooth out the mid range)?

Pyramid, Califone, Calrad, Nippon America, Coby, Gemini, and a bunch of other companies all sell these same A/V headphones with the built-in volume controls for school A/V listening stations. That's why they're so cheap - the Chinese make that one model by the thousands. They aren't worth a shit in a studio; they break too easily.

Between all the distributors, I finally found exactly two models of Chinese headphones that DIDN'T break under studio conditions, but one of the sets needed some mods to make it sound really good.

The MoreMe cans ain't the greatest headphones in the world (or even the 20th greatest headphones in the world) but, they will work pretty damn good in the studio for tracking. And I keep them in stock. That's how I backed into this business; nobody would stock the damn good phones I found.
Harvey Gerst

Kerry Haught
audio school

Post by Kerry Haught » Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:50 am

Harvey Gerst wrote:
Kerry Haught wrote:Dracon,
Kerry, that sounds like a great idea. Dracon, do it.
But Kerry, to be absolutely fair, you will ship them out 2nd day air, right? (All my orders go 2nd day in the U.S.) If they order the phones from you with 2nd day air shipping, it comes to over $20. What's the warrenty on the Califones, and how do you handle repairs? Just kinda curious.
Hello Harvey,

No, since we're paying the shipping and giving away the headphones, we'll send them out via UPS Ground. (call me cheap)

If someone were to buy one pair and ask for 2-Day shipping, the shipping would be $14.29... if they ordered ten pairs, shipping would be $35.31 which would average out to just $9.73 per pair-shipped 2-Day. (or if they're not in a hurry, they can choose UPS Ground for $4.95 and the headphones would only cost $6.70 on average for 10)

The warranty on this item is One Year http://www.califone.com/warranty_policy.php Califone will repair or replace the item at their discretion during the first year.

Harvey Gerst
ass engineer

Post by Harvey Gerst » Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:12 am

Kerry, so you don't/ won't actually replace the phones yourself?

If I'm reading this right:

"While under a valid warranty period, damaged or defective products (purchased domestically) may be returned to the Califone Service Department with prior authorization for service and repair, free of charge."

So before you can even send them back for repair, you hafta first contact them, and then wait for approval?

"Out-of-warranty items may be returned for service and repair for a flat fee. Califone does reserve the right to charge an additional fee for products with extensive physical damage however we will not proceed with service without your authorization."

So, if a drummer steps on them, you're probably out of luck? Or is it abuse if they keep blowing up?

"A warranty registration card must be completed and received by the Califone before a warranty claim may be processed. The warranty does not cover normal wear and tear, improper assembly or follow-up maintenance, installation of parts or accessories not originally intended or compatible with the audio device as sold, damage or failure due to accident, misuse or neglect, or modification."

So, first, you hafta wait till they get your warranty card processed? Then you hafta contact them for authorization to send them back for repair? Then you wait till they determine whose fault it is? Then they'll repair or replace them and ship them how?

Sounds good to me. :lol:
Harvey Gerst

dracon
audio school graduate

Post by dracon » Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:16 am

Harvey Gerst wrote:Some of the new posts at HR were getting to me, so I just decided to lurk there rather than post as usual. I almost responded to DJL's crack about buying SP mics is supporting China's atomic weapons program, but I decided against it. I check here on a regular basis, but don't post too much.
Hey Harvey!
I know some people or rather some comments rub me the wrong way sometimes. Not that I haven't said stupid things myself, but sometimes people talk just for talking.
"It's full of stars"
2001 a Space Oddessy.

Harvey Gerst
ass engineer

Post by Harvey Gerst » Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:19 am

Kerry,

After reading my reply above, I'm sorry if I'm jumping down your throat on this. I've been down this road before and it doesn't go anywhere. The phones you sell with volume controls simply don't work well for most studios. I found that out the hard way. They aren't the same as the MoreMe's, and as long as people don't get them confused, I don't have any problems with you or the Califone people.

Sorry if I came across hardassed about this, but I've been there, done that, and got about two dozen broken phones sitting in the closet.
Harvey Gerst

dracon
audio school graduate

Post by dracon » Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:20 am

Kerry Haught wrote: Dracon,
I appreciate your generous offer, but no thanks. I'll save my pennies for something else. I don't need to do a comparison between MoreMe's and anything else. MoreMe's are good for what they are, and serve their purpose.
"It's full of stars"
2001 a Space Oddessy.

Harvey Gerst
ass engineer

Post by Harvey Gerst » Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:21 am

dracon wrote:
Harvey Gerst wrote:Some of the new posts at HR were getting to me, so I just decided to lurk there rather than post as usual. I almost responded to DJL's crack about buying SP mics is supporting China's nuclear weapons program, but I decided against it. I check here on a regular basis, but don't post too much.
Hey Harvey!
I know some people or rather some comments rub me the wrong way sometimes. Not that I haven't said stupid things myself, but sometimes people talk just for talking.
I just checked at the mic forum today, and it sounds like DJL is starting to skip his meds again. Nothing major yet, but I can see it coming.
Harvey Gerst

Kerry Haught
audio school

Post by Kerry Haught » Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:32 am

I'm starting to regret posting here earlier. I didn't mean to step on any toes, I was just curious how our headphones measured up to a $35 pair used by professionals.
The warranty info I linked to on Califone's site is written to cover their butt. (Seriously, does anyone ever send in their warranty card?) In most cases I have dealt with, Califone simply sends a replacement set direct to the customer when they have a complaint. They reserve the right to impose the terms of their warranty to help curb false or suspicious warranty claims.
If the failure of a product that costs $6.20, is going to put someone in a bind... buy two, and put the second one in a drawer until you need it.

I'll leave it at that. Accept my apologies if my posts were outta line.

Harvey Gerst
ass engineer

Post by Harvey Gerst » Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:58 am

Kerry Haught wrote:I'm starting to regret posting here earlier. I didn't mean to step on any toes, I was just curious how our headphones measured up to a $35 pair used by professionals.
Kerry, they don't measure up very well, mainly because of the damn built-in volume controls, which can't handle the levels used in a typical studio. Other than that (and the internal mod I do to the Deluxe sets), they're probably identical.
I'll leave it at that. Accept my apologies if my posts were outta line.
No, I was probably the one out of line, but this has happened to me a few times over the last two years. Someone notices the cheap A/V phones with volume controls look almost identical to the MoreMe's, and they assume they are identical. And for the most part, they are identical (probably coming out of one factory in China, except the MoreMe's will handle more power, play louder, and are harder to blow up.

It took me about 6 months of calling all these distributors and testing everything they imported to find exactly two models that DID in fact work reliably in studio situations. Getting them to stock them was even harder.
Harvey Gerst

dracon
audio school graduate

Post by dracon » Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:20 am

Kerry Haught wrote:I'll leave it at that. Accept my apologies if my posts were outta line.
I didn't think you needed to apologize for anything. So that you know, I'm not a professional. The pro here is Harvey. I'm just a shmoe with some equipment at home. I'm sure that your Headphones are good for the application they are being used. They are probably comparable to the one's RadioShack sells with volume control.

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?c ... =33%2D1225

They must have changed suppliers, because I just used a pair of their old one's and they didn't look as sophisticated as the one's in the link.
"It's full of stars"
2001 a Space Oddessy.

theshaggyfreak
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by theshaggyfreak » Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:45 am

I purchased a few today to have for tracking. Mostly I wanted some cans I could lug around to locations without having to worry about a good pair getting trashed. This way I wont be angry if a 6$ pair of cans get messed up by some kid. They'll serve their purpose, but I'm not expecting them to be steller.

eh91311
buyin' a studio

Post by eh91311 » Sat Feb 12, 2005 6:06 pm

I bought some More Me's when they were first offered; I kept them a day and sent them back. Even at $25-30, they didn't sound good enough to keep around.

I saw this thread and Cousins Video's offer of Califone stereo headphones for $6.20 each, I bought 2 pair. Everything about them screams "cheap"; coiled cord that's short, uncomfortable fit, lots of plastic, probably won't survive a few throw-downs or drops onto a hard surface.
They're bassy and have rolled off highs, but they provide volume and a very tight ear seal. You could track a loud band using these cans. Are they better than More Me's? I don't know, but I think they're way worth the money. I wouldn't want to mix on them. For tracking, they're fine.

Sony 7506's or Sennheiser HD280's these things aren't. If they break, you won't be mad. If you're worried about a warranty, at $6.20 each, buy one extra pair for every pair you need and store the extras.

I'm going to buy some more.

No, I don't have a commercial studio; but I will, and I'll use these 'phones when I do.