Developing Your Ears

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Re: Developing Your Ears

Post by Rigsby » Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:28 am

This possibly kind of sounds terrible but increasingly i've become bored with listening to music and rarely have done for the last few months (epecially considering there was always music in my house before that), but i'll listen to interesting sounds, listen all the way round town, the park, the streets, train stations, everywhere and back again. A year or so ago i started recording some found sounds, and got really into it, that lead to recording a lot of everyday things, which in turn lead me to just listen to the things around me, initially to record them, and then just to listen for pleasure. I regularly stop and listen to everyday sounds and the way the environment reacts to them, and i really think it's improving my listening skills. I'm hearing things i would've previously probably ignored and it actually brings me a lot of happiness as well.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:33 am

nlmd311 wrote:Great question,
Thanks.
nlmd311 wrote:what about you Chris?
Hanging around people with really great ears. Listening to music (especially stuff with which I'm familiar) in a good environment with someone else who has really great ears. Just listening to tunes with someone else and REALLY listening can be a big eye-opener (or ear-opener). Obviously, the better the listening environment, the more enlightening the experience. Watching someone like that work can also be extremely enlightening. That's part of the reason why I love attending mastering sessions. I always walk away having learned something about my perception vs. someone else's.

I also spent about three years working for a studio that did sound-alikes for karaoke, TV, and overseas distribution. That was a really, really great stage of development for me. I worked with two other guys with PHENOMENAL ears and it was a challenge trying to recreate as closely as possible songs from over a fifty-year period. Doing that sort of thing is a terrific excercise in learning to hear parts (and it's interesting to hire players and have them come in and see what they heard in addition to what you heard), sounds, stereo placement, effects, etc.

I think listening is like anything else. The more you do it, the better you get at it and if you're around people who are better at it than you, you learn even more.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:34 am

bigtoe wrote:i bought your cd's chris...compared them to my own...made notes...they sound great- btw. particularly dig the piano trio.
Thanks, Mike! I'm glad you like them. I'm particularly proud to be a part of that piano trio album.

Chris

Slider
george martin

Post by Slider » Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:37 am

I feel like I've learned a lot this last year.
I think I made recordings that were interesting and different sounding, but I never really thought too much about clarity, or doing anything that was remotely tidy sounding.
So I've been trying to accomplish some nice fidelity along with the "recording kicked in the face" approach I used to take.

I'm also a little more careful about micing lately, where I used to take a "I can make anything sound cool with enough compression" attitude.

I guess just listening and keeping an open mind.
which sounds so simple, but it's hard to keep perspective on your work sometimes.

bigtoe
deaf.

Post by bigtoe » Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:46 am

cgarges wrote:
bigtoe wrote:i bought your cd's chris...compared them to my own...made notes...they sound great- btw. particularly dig the piano trio.
Thanks, Mike! I'm glad you like them. I'm particularly proud to be a part of that piano trio album.

Chris
that's my fav - great work. (did you use protools? ha!) your trio, however, does rule... as in "far out." great band.

"I feel like I've learned a lot this last year.
I think I made recordings that were interesting and different sounding, but I never really thought too much about clarity, or doing anything that was remotely tidy sounding.
So I've been trying to accomplish some nice fidelity along with the "recording kicked in the face" approach I used to take."

man - exactly where i'm at.

Peace
Mike

Slider
george martin

Post by Slider » Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:58 am

Hey Chris, I think you should have your own tape op board (or whatever it's called...room?) that's called "what did you work on today".
There we could discuss what we recorded that day, how we approached it, and post MP3's for feedback.
We obviously couldn't post full songs without permission, but I'm sure we could get away with clips, or single sources.
Maybe I'm the only person who'd be into this, but I think it would be cool for everyone to discuss and share their approach, with an audio example.
Maybe we could get someone to offer some space for MP3's that would be deleted after a couple days.

I run CD's when I'm getting sounds and tracking and it would be cool to have a combination of general discussion and the MP3 board, for sharing techniques in detail.

Just a thought.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:12 am

bigtoe wrote:that's my fav - great work. (did you use protools? ha!)
Thanks. You'd be surprised at what was used to make that record.

Chris

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:14 am

Slider wrote:Hey Chris, I think you should have your own tape op board (or whatever it's called...room?) that's called "what did you work on today".
There we could discuss what we recorded that day, how we approached it, and post MP3's for feedback.
Interesting. I'm not sure what would be the difference between that and a dedicated effort to do something like that on the MP3 board. Speaking of which, I'm about due, aren't I?

Chris

kronosonic
takin' a dinner break

Post by kronosonic » Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:17 am

Rigsby wrote:This possibly kind of sounds terrible but increasingly i've become bored with listening to music and rarely have done for the last few months (epecially considering there was always music in my house before that), but i'll listen to interesting sounds, listen all the way round town, the park, the streets, train stations, everywhere and back again. A year or so ago i started recording some found sounds, and got really into it, that lead to recording a lot of everyday things, which in turn lead me to just listen to the things around me, initially to record them, and then just to listen for pleasure. I regularly stop and listen to everyday sounds and the way the environment reacts to them, and i really think it's improving my listening skills. I'm hearing things i would've previously probably ignored and it actually brings me a lot of happiness as well.
Hey, Rigsby, do you have a web site/page somewhere?
http://myspace.com/infiniteegosavioronasis

A personal friend of the legendary Jean Pecan Hoe

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:20 am

kronosonic wrote:
Rigsby wrote:This possibly kind of sounds terrible but increasingly i've become bored with listening to music and rarely have done for the last few months (epecially considering there was always music in my house before that), but i'll listen to interesting sounds, listen all the way round town, the park, the streets, train stations, everywhere and back again. A year or so ago i started recording some found sounds, and got really into it, that lead to recording a lot of everyday things, which in turn lead me to just listen to the things around me, initially to record them, and then just to listen for pleasure. I regularly stop and listen to everyday sounds and the way the environment reacts to them, and i really think it's improving my listening skills. I'm hearing things i would've previously probably ignored and it actually brings me a lot of happiness as well.
Hey, Rigsby, do you have a web site/page somewhere?
Well yes and no, www.rigsbysmith.net, but it's still under construction so there's just a holding page so far.

rigsbysmith.com

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:22 am

Oh, and don't address any inquiries there as i've forgotten the password. Doh!

rigsbysmith.com

Stephen
steve albini likes it

Post by Stephen » Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:43 am

bobbydj wrote:
Stephen wrote:
cetanorak wrote:Golden Ears ???
Yeah, it's a snack from Nabisco...
Pax, Steve
That "snack" as you so dismissively referred to it is actually something of a delicacy I'll have you know.
Forgive me. I wallow in my own shame.
Pax, Steve
Necessity is a mother....
http://instantdogma.net

Slider
george martin

Post by Slider » Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:44 am

cgarges wrote:
Slider wrote:Hey Chris, I think you should have your own tape op board (or whatever it's called...room?) that's called "what did you work on today".
Interesting. I'm not sure what would be the difference between that and a dedicated effort to do something like that on the MP3 board. Speaking of which, I'm about due, aren't I?

Chris
Yeah, I guess the MP3 board would work fine.
I don't really go there very often.
Maybe I should.

kronosonic
takin' a dinner break

Post by kronosonic » Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:33 pm

Rigsby wrote:Oh, and don't address any inquiries there as i've forgotten the password. Doh!
Well, Rigsby, you're like on the ball!

:P

What kind of instruments do you play?
http://myspace.com/infiniteegosavioronasis

A personal friend of the legendary Jean Pecan Hoe

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:33 am

kronosonic wrote:
Rigsby wrote:Oh, and don't address any inquiries there as i've forgotten the password. Doh!
Well, Rigsby, you're like on the ball!

:P

What kind of instruments do you play?
Don't want to hijack the thread so PM me will you?

rigsbysmith.com