Developing Your Ears

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
gaotu
audio school

Re: Developing Your Ears

Post by gaotu » Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:17 am

When I began getting into music years ago, I started by playing piano (traditional w/lessons) and was in school band. I then got involved with hard rock/metal/punk and such, but it wasn't until I listened to a lot of techno (electronic music) that I realized how much I was missing in the "listening" of my music. Listening to techno for years tought me how to hear audio for it's many, MANY other qualities rather than just chorrd structure, note selection, and lyrics. There's a much larger world beyond those things.

The trick as a producer though, is to find a balance between them. It can be difficult to keep both in mind at times, but fortunately if you are recording someone else's material, it's usually easier because you don't have to think about the structure aspect quite as much (maybe not at all). I suggest listening to music and ignoring the lyrics for starters (but you can still listen to the voice - get it), or ignoring whatever instrument you are prone to hone in on. At least don't think about these instruments as "yeah, he's playing a power chord there, he's saying 'take me back'."

Half of my favorite music I can't even sing along to but I know every tonality going on in that song. I can usually identify a song I know within a second or less just by the tonalities present. Give it a try.