You know what sucks?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
MT
takin' a dinner break

Re: You know what sucks?

Post by MT » Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:41 pm

Logo on the ribbon mics? How much for a logo on that football field forehead of hers?

DryCounty
buyin' a studio

Post by DryCounty » Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:52 pm

Funny -- it's the one reason I could never get into them. Hate to sound so superficial, but it's true.
"I would imagine that the inside of a bottle of cleaning fluid is fucking clean." -Hedberg
-----
Tulsa Drone
Dry County Records ? Richmond, Virginia
twitter: drycounty

capnreverb
takin' a dinner break

Post by capnreverb » Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:20 am

Whats with the recording quality on those first Chicago recordings? They sound like they put blankets over the mics at the sessions.

Also, anybody notice that Sringsteen's Greetings From Asbury Park sounds muddy as shit too!

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Sat Feb 05, 2005 11:08 am

I love the way the early chicago records sound, but then again I prefer a flatter muddier sounding recording. Im sure that if they remastered those records with a bunch of high end you might like them, whats recorded is great. I dont think those records are "muddy" sounding, you are just reacting to the lack of high end. There are some bright sounding records that are kinda muddy and undefined in the bottom.

dave
http://www.glideonfade.com
one hundred percent discrete transistor recording with style and care.

lonesome_tone
takin' a dinner break

Post by lonesome_tone » Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:45 pm

the first couple chicago records have some of the most balls out best playing, ever. it's a damn shame that shit was filed away with other 'am gold' stuff at some point. 'free form guitar' makes sonic youth look, uh, youthful.

snatchman
george martin

Post by snatchman » Sat Feb 05, 2005 2:46 pm

Joel Hamilton wrote:Also... (to babble some more about this)...

I HATE middle of the road lifeless one dimensional recordings as opposed to REALLY shitty recordings. The really shitty ones have life... The really good ones have life.

It seems only at the "top" and the "bottom" of recording lives something interesting. That is why I hate so many of the recordings made today. Boring, "safe" not exciting, non adventurous crap trying desparately to be accepted by the big budget "heroes." I guess I will always be a little punk rock. Fuck everyone. Make your own sound. Nothing sounds more feeble than some band recorrding themselves and wanting to be radiohead so fucking bad but they come up with a shitty, boring, poorly recorded "album" at home with none of the sense of adventure that could have made a SHITTIER recording really stand out!

Shitty recording: People hear content

Mediocre recording: People hear the mediocre recording.

Great recording: people hear content.

I swear this seems to be true!
Well said Joel..! I might not be in the same recording caliber as most of you, but I know what something is said right, sounds like.!.... :wink:

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:46 pm

lonesome_tone wrote:the first couple chicago records have some of the most balls out best playing, ever. it's a damn shame that shit was filed away with other 'am gold' stuff at some point. 'free form guitar' makes sonic youth look, uh, youthful.
I bought that record at car boot sale on a whim a few years ago and quite enjoyed some of the first record, but the second (with free from jazz guitar on it) was missing. Boo. Thanks for reminding me to check it out next time i'm at the second-hand record shop.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com