Just Some Tom Waits stuff

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Space Ghost
audio school

Just Some Tom Waits stuff

Post by Space Ghost » Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:09 pm

Does anyone know what tom waits used on his new album (Real Gone) for equipment? Especially what was used on Marc Ribot's guitar? And on Brain and Casey Waits' drums?

Thanks.
Nick

Slider
george martin

Re: Just Some Tom Waits stuff

Post by Slider » Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:48 pm

I heard he used a fostex 4-track.

Slider
george martin

Post by Slider » Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:49 pm

For the basic verbal drums anyway.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:53 pm

Me and tony and some pals have a band that only exists in the studio (for now) called "the book of knots." One of the songs on our new record has Tom Waits singing on it, and I prepared the masters to ship to him today, actually.

I am just glad he is going to be on our new record, which also features Frank Black, Mike Watt, John Langford (mekons) and a bunch of others playing stuff like Nels Cline and Carla Bozulitch.... Lots of people. The core members are me, Tony Maimone, Carla Kihlstedt and Matthias Bossi.

I had to haul out a nice old tascam that tony has. Cassette 4 track. Mono submix, three tracks for Tom.

Crazy.

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:20 pm

Joel Hamilton wrote:I am just glad he is going to be on our new record, which also features Frank Black, Mike Watt, John Langford (mekons) and a bunch of others playing stuff like Nels Cline and Carla Bozulitch.... Lots of people.
Not to mention a regular on this board who makes and plays crazy instruments... :wink:

brokenchairs
takin' a dinner break

Post by brokenchairs » Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:36 pm

Joel Hamilton wrote:Me and tony and some pals have a band that only exists in the studio (for now) called "the book of knots." One of the songs on our new record has Tom Waits singing on it, and I prepared the masters to ship to him today, actually.

I am just glad he is going to be on our new record, which also features Frank Black, Mike Watt, John Langford (mekons) and a bunch of others playing stuff like Nels Cline and Carla Bozulitch.... Lots of people. The core members are me, Tony Maimone, Carla Kihlstedt and Matthias Bossi.

I had to haul out a nice old tascam that tony has. Cassette 4 track. Mono submix, three tracks for Tom.

Crazy.
Sounds like you've got another Ballhog or Tugboat? record going, minus about 200 people. I'd be really interested in hearing it, do you have a label for it yet?

Slider
george martin

Post by Slider » Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:51 pm

Joel Hamilton wrote:Me and tony and some pals have a band that only exists in the studio (for now) called "the book of knots." One of the songs on our new record has Tom Waits singing on it, and I prepared the masters to ship to him today, actually.

Crazy.
When Tom did a vocal for the Primus record, he sent us a cassette that looked like it was made in like 1974.

I tried my best to put the (out of time, sung through a megaphone) phrases in a sampler and fly them in.
It didn't work, so he came in and did the vocal in person.
Don't be surprised if it comes back with him yelling into a shower through a CB radio or something.
Whatever he gives you will be cool sounding

DavidATX
takin' a dinner break

Post by DavidATX » Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:32 pm

Not to hijack anyones thread...but as for Book of Knots II...we at Arclight are REALLY really excited about this album. Sure, its cool with the big names and all...but even if it was the same cool crew from the first one we would feel the same. I was listening to the first album last night as I went to bed...start to finish, UNREAL!

neve1073
audio school graduate

Post by neve1073 » Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:01 pm

Crazy.
Heh. Tony Maimone was in Pere Ubu, no?
I'm not anonymous. I'm discrete.