syncing 2 reel to reels

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
arkestra
alignin' 24-trk

syncing 2 reel to reels

Post by arkestra » Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:30 pm

anyone ever done this with 2 fostex reel to reels? and if so how? can you simply use a MTC box or is it more involved? I assume you would need to stripe time code on both tapes etc.

brianroth
tinnitus

Re: syncing 2 reel to reels

Post by brianroth » Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:44 pm

You will need a synchronizer box (like a Timeline Lynx/MicroLynx or an Adams-Smith Zeta...none are made any more) and likely need to modify the decks. What happens is that the sync unit reads the SMPTE time code printed on an open track, then "jockies" the capstan speed to sync everything up.

Bri

jpmorris
gimme a little kick & snare

Re: syncing 2 reel to reels

Post by jpmorris » Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:29 am

The slave machine must be microprocessor-controlled.. the A8 and probably the B16 won't be able to do this. I don't know about the model 80 or the E16.
(You would be able to use all these as the master, though).

The R8s, and also the G16s can be locked together. The R8 has an MTC-1 synchroniser which sometimes comes fitted. I think the G16 needs a different sync unit, apparently the 8038.. see link below.
You can also use these devices to remotely control the machines from a sequencer.

http://www.scvlondononline.co.uk/acatal ... es_98.html

Bear in mind that I've never done this ;)

I'd better add this:

You will need to stripe both machines. I must stress that you have to have the RIGHT sync box.
A TS/1 or something will not work! Both the Fostex and the TSR8 have proprietary data protocols, so you need to have a sync unit made by the deck manufacturer. Most of these seem to use MIDI as the actual sync protocol, so you may possibly need a sequencer in the middle.